Options

American Football on TV

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
Forum Member
I know C4 & C5 used to have American Football on but do they still show it? Not sure if the season has started yet so that could be a reason. Also if they don't show it anymore which Sky channel shows it?
Ta

Comments

• Options
    mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    the season doesn't start again til September

not sure if it will be the same next year but SKY covered any Thursday night games plus a double header on sundays last year

the late night game on a sunday was on CH4

BBC shows Monday night football via the red button on BBC1 and also online but not via their normal broadcast
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,964
    Forum Member
    mimik1uk wrote: »
    the season doesn't start again til September

not sure if it will be the same next year but SKY covered any Thursday night games plus a double header on sundays last year

the late night game on a sunday was on CH4

BBC shows Monday night football via the red button on BBC1 and also online but not via their normal broadcast

That's right apart from Monday night football. That is on Eurosport these days.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Cheers Guys.
  • Options
    Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,627
    Forum Member
    SKY have shown Thursday Night Football for a few years, which is strange one as SKY used to have Sunday Night Football & Monday Night Football along with Thursday Night Football but didn't renew the contract for SNF & MNF due to poor viewing figures.

If it's like the last few years we won't know the Broadcasters for SNF-MNF until a few days before the season 1st weekend of the regular season which is quite frustrating,

Week 8 is different this season with a 9:30am EST start [1.30pm UK time] which is the 2nd of 3 games at Wembley.
  • Options
    hallstarhallstar Posts: 925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Channel 4 are in the 2nd year of a 2 year contract, Sky are in the last year of a 3 year deal so next year will be the usual last minute wait for news. I am not sure how long Eurosports deal was for.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,964
    Forum Member
    SKY have shown Thursday Night Football for a few years, which is strange one as SKY used to have Sunday Night Football & Monday Night Football along with Thursday Night Football but didn't renew the contract for SNF & MNF due to poor viewing figures.

If it's like the last few years we won't know the Broadcasters for SNF-MNF until a few days before the season 1st weekend of the regular season which is quite frustrating,

Week 8 is different this season with a 9:30am EST start [1.30pm UK time] which is the 2nd of 3 games at Wembley.

There is no wait this year as all 3 contracts are already done. Next summer will be horrendous though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That's right apart from Monday night football. That is on Eurosport these days.

oops forgot it moved to eurosport last year
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So when does the season start?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    gary_ogden wrote: »
    So when does the season start?

September, as I said in my first reply
  • Options
    Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are televised pre-season games, but the 2014 NFL season officially starts on September 4. The Packers play against the Seahawks on a Thursday night.

September 7, which is on a Sunday, is when the majority of the NFL play their first game of the season. Then on September 8, four teams will play: Giants against the Lions; Chargers against Cardinals.

You can view the first week schedule here: LINK
  • Options
    malcy30malcy30 Posts: 7,177
    Forum Member
    There seem more changes on US than UK TV this year with CBS sharing week 2 to 8 coverage of Thursday night football with NFL Network. Otherwise it's the usual mix of CBS and Fox on Sunday afternoon, NBC Sunday night and ESPN Monday night.
    Then a few others with NBC have the first regular season game on the Thursday and Thanksgiving having the traditional triple header on Fox, CBS and NBC with one game each.

For UK viewers have C4 extended their contract to cover all 3 Wembley games live as last year they had the 2 played there live plus the Super Bowl live. At least the end of October Sunday afternoon (UK time) game will not need a switch C4 to More4 part way through.

Not an issue for me as will be at Wembley for all 3 games.
  • Options
    AliU2maniacAliU2maniac Posts: 1,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't wait for the season to start.I'm off to San Francisco in November and I'll be going to the new Levi Stadium on the 23rd to see the 49ers.. They're playing the Redskins but that doesn't matter---I can't wait to see the new stadium :D

I'm also going to the Cal v Stanford game the day before so I'll be tailgating twice in two days.Can't wait :D
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    welp, looks like another good old washington whipping again on the first weekend :D
    christ, they surely can't play as BADLY as their first game last season!!!
  • Options
    MeicYMeicY Posts: 2,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't forget all the college action will be on ESPN too.

However, as a baseball fan first and an American football fan second, our season has just started so please don't wish the year away too quickly! I can't afford Christmas presents just yet.

There's a brief, wonderful moment at the end of September / start of October when three major NA sports all play at the same time. Back in the day, you had baseball on Sunday and Wednesday, American Football on Monday and hockey on Tuesday on C5. Sigh...
  • Options
    the albionthe albion Posts: 506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it starts early September.
  • Options
    pHopHo Posts: 595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's happening with ESPN these days? I haven't had it for a few years, it was great for watching College GameDay on a Saturday. Is that likely to still exist on the BT owned version of the channel? Is it possible to get it on a legit online stream? (I don't have a Virgin box in the room I work in the most, and I'm probably cancelling Virgin TV anyway).

I've considered ESPNPlayer but put off by:
    1. Awful pricing scheme
    2. I heard you don't get College Game Day, just the games itself?
    3. Back in 2012 they weren't even covering SEC games, not sure if that's changed.

Why can't these companies just sort this out now, NFL GamePass is great (except for the blackouts but that's easily dealt with), and the NHL Pass is pretty solid too even though the blackouts are even worse on there. I don't mind paying money to get a good quality product, and in 2014 it shouldn't be difficult to do this! Hopefully WWE Network will pick up some steam over the next year or so as that's been great value for £6/mo and I'm hoping other companies will follow suit with that quality of service/value.
  • Options
    malcy30malcy30 Posts: 7,177
    Forum Member
    pHo wrote: »
    What's happening with ESPN these days? I haven't had it for a few years, it was great for watching College GameDay on a Saturday. Is that likely to still exist on the BT owned version of the channel? Is it possible to get it on a legit online stream? (I don't have a Virgin box in the room I work in the most, and I'm probably cancelling Virgin TV anyway).

I've considered ESPNPlayer but put off by:
    1. Awful pricing scheme
    2. I heard you don't get College Game Day, just the games itself?
    3. Back in 2012 they weren't even covering SEC games, not sure if that's changed.

Why can't these companies just sort this out now, NFL GamePass is great (except for the blackouts but that's easily dealt with), and the NHL Pass is pretty solid too even though the blackouts are even worse on there. I don't mind paying money to get a good quality product, and in 2014 it shouldn't be difficult to do this! Hopefully WWE Network will pick up some steam over the next year or so as that's been great value for £6/mo and I'm hoping other companies will follow suit with that quality of service/value.

Last season was the first with ESPN UK owned by BT. They did have College GameDay but think they missed a few weekends. They still had the live games but nit as many as previous years, and not always the 4 consecutive on Saturdays into Sunday.