Common - New Jimmy McGovern Drama

Comments

• boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £4,600 for a funeral? Does it really cost that much?

I expect they've done their research, how much did you expect it would cost?
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    boksbox wrote: »
    I expect they've done their research, how much did you expect it would cost?

I buried a family member last year and it cost just over £2,000.
  • Valene1Valene1 Posts: 1,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I went to a funeral last week and the family paid around £6000 just for the burial plot as non-residents of this London borough.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Valene1 wrote: »
    I went to a funeral last week and the family paid around £6000 just for the burial plot as non-residents of this London borough.

That's London prices. Everything costs a lot more in London.
  • Callum CollumCallum Collum Posts: 4,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Apparently the average cost is over £7,600.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2543006/The-rising-cost-dying-Average-funeral-costs-7-600-thousands-struggling-afford-fitting-send-off.html

If anybody's worried about the cost a funeral plan might be a good idea.
  • abivanabivan Posts: 754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They've done their research??

One person has gone in and provided a full statement of what has happened, providing names etc and before you can blink he is remanded in custody?

This is typical McGovern hitting you over the head with a sledgehammer to get his agenda across TV. Oh how I miss Happy Valley.
  • player1player1 Posts: 2,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    does anyone know whatthe background music was about 10 mins ago ( at the start of the trial ) ? sounded a bit 'coldplay-ish' - Shazam didn't recognise it:(
  • Valene1Valene1 Posts: 1,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's London prices. Everything costs a lot more in London.

It still shocked me when I heard the costs. I said to my son, don't bother with a burial, anyone can have my parts and the rest for medical students
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I thought Michelle Fairley was going to get knocked down by a car. She usually ends up dying a gruesome death.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    abivan wrote: »

One person has gone in and provided a full statement of what has happened, providing names etc and before you can blink he is remanded in custody?

This is typical McGovern hitting you over the head with a sledgehammer to get his agenda across TV. Oh how I miss Happy Valley.

I was wondering if that would really happen as well. A good lawyer would knock holes in their case.
  • divingbboydivingbboy Posts: 14,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    abivan wrote: »

I have to admit, it might be good drama, but they've played very fast and loose with the law of joint enterprise. Yes, miscarriages can and do occur, but this leaves the impression that the law doesn't care whether someone has any knowledge of a criminal enterprise which they unknowingly assist.
  • CaseyKleinCaseyKlein Posts: 3,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Michelle Fairley was going to get knocked down by a car. She usually ends up dying a gruesome death.

Lol was going to post similar:D

6 years they will be out in 3, do you not serve half the sentence
  • abivanabivan Posts: 754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    divingbboy wrote: »
    I have to admit, it might be good drama, but they've played very fast and loose with the law of joint enterprise. Yes, miscarriages can and do occur, but this leaves the impression that the law doesn't care whether someone has any knowledge of a criminal enterprise which they unknowingly assist.

Exactly! I think this is very poor factually, and it will give the impression to uninformed members of the public that if they are ever on the periphery of criminal activity they had better keep their mouths shut or they will end up getting charged with the crime as well. It is irresponsible nonsense. No wonder they normally put his short dramas in the daytime slot.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    This makes no sense. So he wasn't prosecuted under joint enterprise and a lawyer wouldn't be able to appeal his case? This is total nonsense.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This makes no sense. So he wasn't prosecuted under joint enterprise and a lawyer wouldn't be able to appeal his case? This is total nonsense.

surely they cant appeal if they plead guilty
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well, he can't appeal because he changed his plea to guilty when he had the charge of conspiracy to commit GBH put to him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    CaseyKlein wrote: »
    surely they cant appeal if they plead guilty

If he was misinformed that he would be charged under the joint enterprise then he has a right to appeal. This wouldn't happen this way in a real case. His lawyer would have told him to plead not guilty.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm confused. In that flashback 2 of 'em were rouging up one lad while what looked like an innocent bystander got stabbed by Gadget. What happened to the one they were targeting? Is that even how that scene played out?
  • extraextraextraextra Posts: 321
    Forum Member
    The acting was superb, I didn't know anything about Joint Enterprise before, it certainly was emphasising the point. Personally I would have liked to have seen more about living in the community after the event and the after effects.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dont understand how this is to do with that law, its more to do with the lad stupidly talking to the polis without a lawyer, the pizza guy did it right and wasnt charged.
  • RandomArbiterRandomArbiter Posts: 419
    Forum Member
    Meh, it's just a political campaign disguised as a TV program.

I call that propoganda.

I'm actually surprised the BBC would allow something like this to be published, part of its remit is to NEVER take sides on law, politics etc.
  • Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    surfking wrote: »
    I'm confused. In that flashback 2 of 'em were rouging up one lad while what looked like an innocent bystander got stabbed by Gadget. What happened to the one they were targeting? Is that even how that scene played out?

He legged it I'd guess, that's how it seemed to me
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A very 'McGovern' drama. Good most of the way through. Tried to hard at the end. It didn't really make the point against joint enterprise it was trying to.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm all for hard-hitting drama and making TV dramas about injustice, etc, but when that is based upon something so fundamentally incorrect and misleading, well I don't know what I can say about it. There are plenty of legitimate legal injustices about which one could write, so there's no need to make up complete bollocks.