Who do you make of recent Mario Karts ?

YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
Forum Member
I love the Mario Kart series. I started on Mario Kart 64 and it was/is amazing. I love Super Mario Kart and then Double Dash is my absolute favorite !

But since then I'm not loving them as much. I was really disappointed with Mario Kart Wii, loved the multiplayer but the controls and tracks weren't up to scratch for me.

But looking at the ads for the new 3DS one, I'm not blown away by it at all. I understand that they need to change it up in some way or another or else they'll face masses of people giving out that they're just recycling the same old game but its just somewhat lost the magic for me.

Maybe this is partly because I don't game like I used to. Gone are the days of a room of people playing Mario Kart for me, no more winner stays on and great times for all as I have grown up a little bit !

What do ye think ?

Comments

• DavonatorDavonator Posts: 4,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know what you mean.

I really loved Mario Kart on the SNES, N64 and DS

I didn't really like Double Dash (although I know it has it's fans). I did enjoy Mario Kart Wii, but it wasn't on the same level as some of it's predecessors. Don't get me wrong MK Wii was a good game and I still play it, i just mainly had two main problems with it. One is I don't think the motion steering worked that well, and secondly I felt races were too dependent on items. The early mario kart games are so good because it was 50% skill and 50% use of items that decided races. I got the feeling that Mario Kart Wii was determined by 40% skill 60% items.

Online there were instances where I was racing really well all race and deserved a top 3 finish.....but then some guy got a bullet bill (which was always too overpowered IMO) and a star and came from 6th to snatch 1st. Conversely there were times inMK Wii where i'd had a stinker and was stuck in 6th place all race, then hey presto.....i'd get a star and then a bullet and then i'd speed past to win. It just felt unsatisfying to me as I like to feel that the guy who deserves to win...wins at the end.

Perhaps Nintendo with Wii's family focus rigged it so everyone could be a winner.
  • bitebugbitebug Posts: 3,376
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me Mario Kart became stale after Double Dash (the last one I played). The AI was cheap and became too predictable, i.e. if you were in first place you just knew that you'd have a blue shell on your tail to disrupt your position. Also enemies would recover and catch up to you way too quickly after you hit them with a shell etc.

I've never played the Wii version, and I don't think I'll play the 3DS version either (it's no fun playing it on your own anyway).
  • Gwen 404Gwen 404 Posts: 3,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i actually only started really loving the series when i could go online. the ai always seemed a little stale to me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    The AI's always been cheap in Mario Kart, going right back to the very first Super Mario Kart on SNES. It was one of the things I hated about the game, but I grew to love it over the years. It works better when four of you are crowded round the telly.
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    Yeah the new Mario Karts are great, especially Mario Kart DS. That game is bloody fantastic. Mario Kart Wii is good but the blue shells are a bit of a pain (apparently you can dodge them if you gotz da skillz), rubber banding is mental. Can be a very frustrating experience if you in it to win. Taken as a fun online experience it's a lot of fun though, single player is great too, lot's of unlockables to keep you playing.

Very much looking forward to Mario Kart 7.
  • The TerminatorThe Terminator Posts: 5,312
    Forum Member
    Mario Kart Wii is genuinely one of the worst games I've ever played. I don't think I've even touched any others since the original (which is still fun to this day, dunno how they ballsed up the Wii version so badly).
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i have super mario kart downloaded, i also have a snes cc..

cant top that imo
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    Mario Kart Wii is genuinely one of the worst games I've ever played. I don't think I've even touched any others since the original (which is still fun to this day, dunno how they ballsed up the Wii version so badly).

:eek::confused: Why is it the worst game you've ever played?
    I absolutely loved the game myself, as did the rest of the family.
    Going by a lot of customer reviews on Play etc it's regarded as one of the best games that has been played by many.
    The only thing that does slightly spoil it for me is with those numpties that have to cheat when playing online.
    Forum Member
    It's not even something I can put my finger on properly (although the cheapness of the game cheating to blast you with items whenever you're winning a race contributes greatly) I just found it to be a deeply unpleasant experience. And of course, as is the case with 99% of Wii titles, the motion controls added nothing of value, simply subtracted.
  • Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    :eek::confused: Why is it the worst game you've ever played?

God knows how long it took "the terminator" to realise that the wii and it's ground breaking motion controls wasn't the console for him.
    Forum Member
    It's not even about the motion controls mostly, they are a negative factor though. Even aside from them it is just a terrible game. Sorry to ruin your view that I blindly hate on anything Wii-related, I give every big title a fair shot, always do.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I quite enjoy Wii Mario Kart, but it's not a solo experience. I tend to prefer (if I simply must play a kart game!) the Sonic All Stars one if I'm playing alone. Not quite as nice graphically, but more fun a racing game imho in single player.
  • OMTTOMTT Posts: 5,459
    Forum Member
    My favourite one is Mario Kart 64. Playing 4 player split screen on a portable TV in the common room was amazing!

Really enjoyed the Wii version too but wasn't keen on it online, too many cheaters.

The DS edition was fun too. Used to play that at work on a Saturday with 2 mates when the phones were dead.

Snes Mario Kart was awesome too. I used to be amazing at it when I was 9 but played it 15 years later & don't have a clue how I could've ever been that good!

Never played the GBA or GameCube version. Want to play the 3DS one but sold my console not long after launch. It's my birthday in January so I may ask nicely for the white bundle with Mario Land & get this too... ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MK64 was really my first one and I loved it. Loved the DS one as well particularly with the initial ventures onto online modes, and the Classic courses were a great addition.

I found the GC one a bit easy though the tag-team aspect was quite nice. Also really like the character-specific weapons.

The Wii is a bit hit and miss, but I like it more than I don't. The controls take a little getting used to. Thing that annoys me the most though is that you can go from 1st to like 9th just by 1 weapon hit. Especially annoying in online mode. But I do enjoy online mode itself, particularity if you get a group of 8+ people.
  • kobashi100kobashi100 Posts: 5,774
    Forum Member
    DS version was better then the Wii. 12 player online was too much and glad Mario Kart 7 is back to 8.

DS version was great, the 3DS game is gonna be sick!!

I thought double dash was pretty average.