Disowned & disabled

Barbsm@wanadoo.Barbsm@wanadoo. Posts: 838
Forum Member
✭✭
What a horrible sad programme! I have a disabled son & hate the idea of him ever being put in such a place. How shameful, sending those poor children to Australia! How could social workers do such things??

Comments

• Susie_WilcoxSusie_Wilcox Posts: 1,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a horrible sad programme! I have a disabled son & hate the idea of him ever being put in such a place. How shameful, sending those poor children to Australia! How could social workers do such things??

It's the way society operated back then, the attitudes towards children, the ignorance. The story of 12 year old Dennis O'Neil in particular just devastated me, the way vulnerable children were handed over to any couple with no background checks at all shows...just horrendous. I have read how WW2 child evacuees were often abused by some of those 'wonderful country folk' who took them in. But the appalling treatment Dennis and his brother were subjected to and poor little Dennis dying in such a terrible way, freezing cold and in agony, it just breaks my heart :( .
  • daisyduck1976daisyduck1976 Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I want to cry just reading your posts! My husband is disabled and has been since birth. I'm glad I didn't see this. I think it would have been too much for me.
  • Susie_WilcoxSusie_Wilcox Posts: 1,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I want to cry just reading your posts! My husband is disabled and has been since birth. I'm glad I didn't see this. I think it would have been too much for me.

The 2nd instalment is tonight (BBC4 9pm) and focuses more on how those with disabilities were treated, last night's episode focused on 'disowned' children...the process of fostering, evacuating children during WW2 to carers in the countryside and the adoption process pre-1980's when the babies of unmarried women were harvested for the happiness of married couples :mad:
    Back in the 40's there were no real guidelines in place for following up the welfare of children who were farmed out to childless, inexperienced couples (who were paid an average of £1 a week) abuse was rife, children were worked on farms instead of being sent to school and, as in Dennis O'Neil's case, some were neglected and abused to death. Such cases sparked the move towards the development of child welfare guidlines that are in place today...and sadly though, are being ignored as we have seen with Baby P.