Two sets of Marks

SallyforthSallyforth Posts: 7,404
Forum Member
Don't suppose they will change the system now anyway but...do you think it would be better if the judges gave two sets of marks, one technical and the other for presentation like they do in "official" skating competitions?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 250
    Forum Member
    Sallyforth wrote:
    Don't suppose they will change the system now anyway but...do you think it would be better if the judges gave two sets of marks, one technical and the other for presentation like they do in "official" skating competitions?

Good idea. Not sure it would fit with the hybrid skating styles they seem to be using. I think maybe they are trying to keep it simple for TV audiences, so people can keep up with the scores easily.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it would be a good idea to give 2 sets of marks.

The skaters could then be given good marks for the spins, lifts etc; but their technical marks wouldn't be as high if their actual skating wasn't up to par (yes I do mean Bonnie :p)!

After all, we want to see them put on a "show" but we also want them to be able to skate well. :D
  • PinkvelvetPinkvelvet Posts: 10,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe they will adapt that for the next series. I can't see them changing the format now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    This would be interesting because one of the things I have thought is that some of the judges focus much more on technical skills (Nicky, Kres) and others much more on artistry and overall presentation (Jason, Robin) - it can be hard to 'unpick' the performance and weigh the relative worth of different aspects of the skating as a viewer so it would be good to get an insight into how judges do it . . .
  • marks thespotmarks thespot Posts: 2,961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The marking is terribly inconsistent, I can understand that they have tried to keep it simple, but the judges really need to agree what they are giving marks for and all stick to it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This seems like a good idea but the pairs are breaking a lot of ice dancing rules already for the sake of good television (the number of lifts, the height of the lifts, the amount of time they spend apart, the distance the travel from each other) so, strictly speaking, they should be marked down for all of this.

In any case, even with two sets of marks, I still think Stefan's greater technical inclusions would have beaten John's flair last week.