Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 47)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 159
    Forum Member
    in regards to overnights vs consolidated figures, can you actually not say that ITV and other channels don't care about consolidated figures. They rely on advertising revenue and therefore want to increase their overnight viewing by as much as possible. The viewers that watched after overnight ratings will obviously skip all the adverts making them essentially useless to the channels. Yes the BBC probably care about consolidated figures because they are lucky not to rely on advertising revenue. Am I correct?

What matters to the BBC is that people are enjoying and consuming the content they're producing, thus validating the content's production and thus the BBC existing at all.

Viewers are the product ITV sell to its advertisers - so what matters to ITV is getting as many people watching as possible on the night (preferably live)
  • Options
    HMOHMO Posts: 42,227
    Forum Member
    kwynne42 wrote: »
    Why are any of these shows an hour and a half, they are all much too long and would be better at an hour each then one of them and I really couldn't care less which could go 7-8 and the other 8-9 resulting in large ratings for everyone and none of this idiotic clashing crap.

The opening show is always 90 minutes. The next 5 audition shows are an hour, and the final one is 90 minutes because it includes the auditions, and the reveal of who goes through to the semis.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    NeilVW wrote: »
    Presumably it was the new episode then? What did you make of C5's Derby fire doc rating? Good I suppose to clear a million but I expected perhaps a bit more.
    Yeah, CSI was new.

The rating seems fine, closely matched performance wise with C4's programme in that timeslot. No doubt the BBC and ITV promoted theirs during their news programmes and around their soaps. It gave viewers the option of normal viewing at 9pm and watching a doc on the subject post-news, perhaps limiting the audience for C5's effort, meaning the head start wasn't that much of an advantage in the end.
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's happening.

ITV Press Centre ‏@itvpresscentre 3m
    Confirmed: Britain's Got Talent returns Saturday 13 April at 7pm on @ITV #BGT @GotTalent
    2:46 PM - 3 Apr 13

Britain's Got Talent ‏@GotTalent 3m
    BREAKING NEWS: We’re back on your screens on Saturday April 13. ITV 7pm. It’s finally here! #BGT #timetoshine pic.twitter.com/ep14fMV6UE
    2:47 PM - 3 Apr 13
  • Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scheduling for Saturday April 13th confirmed: #DoctorWho at 6pm, #TheVoiceUK at 6.45pm #BBC1

Interesting. Starting to think that if BBC1 are doing that then ITV would be better with BGT at 8pm.
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Score wrote: »
    Scheduling for Saturday April 13th confirmed: #DoctorWho at 6pm, #TheVoiceUK at 6.45pm #BBC1

Interesting. Starting to think that if BBC1 are doing that then ITV would be better with BGT at 8pm.

I think ITV will benefit more than BBC here - as has been said Doctor Who's live audience is low, so it doesn't benefit The Voice in any way.

If the weather is warm that weekend, I have a feeling the figures will not be pretty.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So does The Cube remain after BGT, and BGMT at 20:30 over on ITV2?
  • Options
    ronantronant Posts: 4,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    I think ITV will benefit more than BBC here - as has been said Doctor Who's live audience is low, so it doesn't benefit The Voice in any way.

If the weather is warm that weekend, I have a feeling the figures will not be pretty.

Very early forecasts are for a warm and settled weekend. Bit of a disaster for the BBC to be honest, but they'll all be hit if the weather's nice. The Voice would do so well later on in the evening IMO, but Casualty and the Lottery get in the way, so they keep going even earlier.

The other thing for the Beeb is ratings for The Voice were really bad at first but rose and were respectable at the end. An even earlier start is going to really hit it.
  • Options
    SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    BBC moved the Voice back to 6.45pm so why didnt Itv take the opportunity to show BGT at 8.15pm which is a perfect start time for BGT?!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What is the share BGT normally gets, about 40pct. If BGT got 40pct on Saturday just gone in SNTs time, what audience would it have gotten?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    SamuelW wrote: »
    What is the share BGT normally gets, about 40pct. If BGT got 40pct on Saturday just gone in SNTs time, what audience would it have gotten?

It depends on the TV audience. If SNT could get 30% and 7m, that'd be 24-25m people watching TV. 40% of that TV audience watching BGT would be 9.6m, 50% 12m. And it depends if BGT can build up momentum towards the show in the next few weeks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BBC moved the Voice back to 6.45pm so why didnt Itv take the opportunity to show BGT at 8.15pm which is a perfect start time for BGT?!

But it would then mean it finishes at 9:45pm and they wouldn't have anywhere to stick The Cube, as they'd obviously want to use BGT as a lead-in,

They've been confirmed - nothing we can do about it now.
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You have to admire ITV for going all out to kill The Voice.

I know people are saying its dirty tricks but the BBC are always out for ratings battles and always want to dent ITV shows, even win over them. Winning slots is just as important to the BBC as it is ITV as a programme like The Voice winning in the ratings justifies the £22million spent on it. Losing its slots makes the £22 million look like a waste of money.

That's why the BBC always try to win. They hoped last year they could beat BGT and were shouting from the roof tops when it did. Its brilliant to see how it backfired on them big time and is going to be even worse for them this time around
  • Options
    Ice dragon1Ice dragon1 Posts: 19,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I know people are saying its dirty tricks but the BBC are always out for ratings battles and always want to dent ITV shows, even win over them. Winning slots is just as important to the BBC as it is ITV as a programme like The Voice winning in the ratings justifies the £22million spent on it. Losing its slots makes the £22 million look like a waste of money.

That's why the BBC always try to win. They hoped last year they could beat BGT and were shouting from the roof tops when it did. Its brilliant to see how it backfired on them big time and is going to be even worse for them this time around

I really hope the bbc prove you wrong hit them up as itv are just pretty much determined to kill the Voice which is a shame as it is really nice having a choice of shows to pick from on a sat. Hope the BBC get there own back on them big time
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Important to do the usual year on year comparisons for established shows, BGT got 9.5m for its first episode last year, 10m in 2011 and 10.5m in 2010. Will this year's BGT launch continue the decline...?
  • Options
    Zac QuinnZac Quinn Posts: 5,172
    Forum Member
    Hi, don't often contribute to this thread but usually lurk.

Couple of things.
    The BBC only announced they'd moved The Voice forward after BGT confirmed their start time once and for all.
    Would my cynical side be wrong in assuming that Cowell has had a word, rather than it just being ITV?
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV Player is a complete chore, fair too many adverts and it's practically impossible to skip to section you want easily.

I doubt it's that popular as a way of catching with ITV progs, I reckon there are torrents of better ways ;)

...via Sky is one of the better ways, as ITV Player is ad free.
  • Options
    Ice dragon1Ice dragon1 Posts: 19,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zac Quinn wrote: »
    Hi, don't often contribute to this thread but usually lurk.

Couple of things.

The BBC only announced they'd moved The Voice forward after BGT confirmed their start time once and for all.
    Would my cynical side be wrong in assuming that Cowell has had a word, rather than it just being ITV?

I reckon it's most probably down to Mr Cowell I mean can that guy be even more smug
  • Options
    Zac QuinnZac Quinn Posts: 5,172
    Forum Member
    I reckon it's most probably down to Mr Cowell I mean can that guy be even more smug

No. But after he'll have been thoroughly depressed by the last series of The X Factor UK I suppose it's only fair to let him have a laugh once in a while.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Quotes from bbc and Itv people about the Saturday night TVUK v BGT clash:
    One confident sounding ITV source said: “I think you can safely say our scheduling of BGT has sent some chairs spinning over at the BBC.

“But the fact is they could have shown their series any time since January and we have screened BGT at this time of year since 2006. We want a slot when all the family can watch our show.

“The fact they are going 15 minutes earlier than us shows how desperate they are.”

However, BBC bosses are miffed as last year the shows managed to avoid any major overlaps, with BGT starting around 8pm.

Originally The Voice was due to start at 7pm but when final schedules were released today, the BBC moved 15 minutes earlier, meaning Doctor Who will start at 6pm.

A BBC insider said: “This is disappointing news for viewers and this clash could have been avoided by ITV. I am getting a sense of deja vu, last year ITV caused a clash by bringing the series forward a few weeks, this time they are scheduling the show earlier.

“It is TV viewers at home who lose out and this could easily be avoided. Many people will want to watch both shows so it makes no sense.”
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Important to do the usual year on year comparisons for established shows, BGT got 9.5m for its first episode last year, 10m in 2011 and 10.5m in 2010. Will this year's BGT launch continue the decline...?

2009: 10.52m (45.1%), * peak: 11.81m (50.1%) at 20:40.
    2010: 10.6m (44%), * peak: 12.2m (49%) at 20:45.
    2011: 10.45m (42.8%), *peak: 11.58m (45.9%) at 21:30.
    2012: 9.99m (41.7%), * peak: 12.23m (49.2%)

2011 & 12 figures include +1.

I don't see much of a decline.
  • Options
    rr22rr22 Posts: 7,633
    Forum Member
    The bbc really should have got new judges and went in january. They are now broadcasting out of peak in spring . Dr who and the voice are expensive programmes and they are being shown out of peak time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Quotes from bbc and Itv people about the Saturday night TVUK v BGT clash:

BGT wasn't around in 2006, and when it started in 2007 it wasn't exactly in the 7pm slot.

Don't they know that people can record BGT or The Voice?
  • Options
    ItsallaboutyouItsallaboutyou Posts: 1,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnnymc wrote: »
    The bbc really should have got new judges and went in january. They are now broadcasting out of peak in spring . Dr who and the voice are expensive programmes and they are being shown out of peak time.

Agreed. Considering Jan/Feb was a BLACK HOLE schedule-wise..this would have been perfect for both.

Didn't they realise it was a very cold winter this year, and thought we'd all be out clubbing it after being broke after Xmas?

Pathetic. I'm not a fan of DW, Voice or BGT - but this serves the BBC right :D
  • Options
    Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,574
    Forum Member
    Hassaan13 wrote: »
    BGT wasn't around in 2006, and when it started in 2007 it wasn't exactly in the 7pm slot.

Don't they know that people can record BGT or The Voice?

don't let logic get in the way of a good news story, we must have the two big channels moaning at all times :p

Personally, as I've said before, I don't think any talent show should be starting as late as 8pm. So ITV have done the 'right thing' in showing it earlier (though could have been nicer and started at 7.30pm)

Judging by the daily consolidated data we've seen (via Doctor Who fans) I think a fair few people will record TV for later viewing.

I therefore expect lots of 'cr@p overnights, better consolidated' type posts :D
This discussion has been closed.