Exporting Videos from Humax HD-Fox T2 to Humax HDR-2000T

2»

Comments

• EEPhilEEPhil Posts: 437
    Forum Member
    Does the HD-Fox T2 have a DLNA server? Can a foxied HD programme be streamed?
    If so, then if the op can get the files back to the HD-Fox in a way that they can be played - it ought to be possible to get the programmes streamed to a PC. Unfortunately, some manipulation of the so-called sidecar files is required. But it ought then to be possible to ftp to the 2000T files which will work. However, discussion of the way to do it probably isn't allowed on this forum.
  • Luis EssexLuis Essex Posts: 2,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EEPhil wrote: »
    Does the HD-Fox T2 have a DLNA server? Can a foxied HD programme be streamed?
    If so, then if the op can get the files back to the HD-Fox in a way that they can be played - it ought to be possible to get the programmes streamed to a PC.
    No the native HD-FOX T2 does not have a DLNA server. It can be added but that alone does not enable streaming of the HD-FOX T2 recordings. Details can be found on hummy.tv

Foxing an HD recording on the HD-FOX T2 external drive and adding a DLNA does not enable streaming. More than that is needed. Details can be found on hummy.tv
    Unfortunately, some manipulation of the so-called sidecar files is required. But it ought then to be possible to ftp to the 2000T files which will work. However, discussion of the way to do it probably isn't allowed on this forum.
    Are you saying that the copy once limitation will also apply to FTPing the recordings off the HDR-2000T? I've never got myself into that particular situation, but if that rule does apply then using foxy and FTP access to the files on the HDR-2000T will be all the sidecar manipulation that is needed to enable the recordings to be extracted from the HDR-2000T via FTP. The files can then be checked by seeing if they can be played by the HD-FOX T2 before attempting to make them playable on the HDR-2000T using the HD-FOX T2 hardware booted into HDR-FOX T2 software.
  • EEPhilEEPhil Posts: 437
    Forum Member
    Luis Essex wrote: »
    No the native HD-FOX T2 does not have a DLNA server. It can be added but that alone does not enable streaming of the HD-FOX T2 recordings. Details can be found on hummy.tv

Foxing an HD recording on the HD-FOX T2 external drive and adding a DLNA does not enable streaming. More than that is needed. Details can be found on hummy.tv

Are you saying that the copy once limitation will also apply to FTPing the recordings off the HDR-2000T? I've never got myself into that particular situation, but if that rule does apply then using foxy and FTP access to the files on the HDR-2000T will be all the sidecar manipulation that is needed to enable the recordings to be extracted from the HDR-2000T via FTP. The files can then be checked by seeing if they can be played by the HD-FOX T2 before attempting to make them playable on the HDR-2000T using the HD-FOX T2 hardware booted into HDR-FOX T2 software.

Don't know that I understand your last paragraph.
    If there is a way to stream HD from HD-Fox T2 (I don't have one so I'm not looking on hummy.tv!) to your PC then you could ftp the resulting .ts file to a 2000T. If you want to play the files on the 2000T as though you had recorded them there you would also need to copy the sidecar files and ensure the file prefix is the same for all files. BUT there is a flag in the .hmt file that is usually set to tell the Humax to decrypt the programme as it plays it. If that is set but the .ts file has already been decrypted it gets confused. You need to reset that flag - see hummy.tv :D (You can see this for yourself by saving a file to USB from the 2000T - compare the .hmt file on the 2000T and the USB to see the difference)
  • Luis EssexLuis Essex Posts: 2,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't know that I understand your last paragraph.
    If there is a way to stream HD from HD-Fox T2 (I don't have one so I'm not looking on hummy.tv!) to your PC then you could ftp the resulting .ts file to a 2000T. If you want to play the files on the 2000T as though you had recorded them there you would also need to copy the sidecar files and ensure the file prefix is the same for all files. BUT there is a flag in the .hmt file that is usually set to tell the Humax to decrypt the programme as it plays it. If that is set but the .ts file has already been decrypted it gets confused. You need to reset that flag - see hummy.tv :D (You can see this for yourself by saving a file to USB from the 2000T - compare the .hmt file on the 2000T and the USB to see the difference)

The situation is that Y Me has the HD-FOX T2 recordings and their sidecar files on the HDR-2000T and only on the HDR-2000T - no where else. The original copies have been deleted and the only remaining copies are the ones on the HDR-2000T which neither will play them or export them via USB. As they don't appear to have been decrypted using the HD-FOX T2's decryption key they need to be extracted from the HDR-2000T. Extraction from the HDR-2000T cannot be done via USB as at least some of them have copy once protection, which fortunately means that foxy could not have been used correctly and therefore also means that the HDR-2000T has not mangled them with its decryption key when they were imported to the HDR-2000T. The copy once protection can be removed while the the recordings are on the HDR-2000T but the if they were exported via USB the HDR-2000T would make the exports unplayable by anything as it would attempt to decrypt them using its decryption key, which is not the key they were encrypted with.

As the next step is to get them off the HDR2000T intact I was asking if you were stating that the copy once protection also applied to FTP on the HDR-2000T. I now understand that you were talking about after the files have been recorded and transferred back to where they had come from.

BTW Once they are back on the HD-FOX T2's external disk the HD-FOX T2 can only stream its own recording of they are decrypted and addtional software is installed on the HD-FOX T2. And of they are decrypted then Y Me might as well transfer them the easy why he did the first time around or just permanently attach the HD-FOX T2's disk to the HDR-2000T.
  • Y MeY Me Posts: 4,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Situation update.

Gave up trying to get the files off the 2000. Deleted everything and now recording and exporting files HD and SD happily. Mainly SD because HD takes so long.

Playing these files on my Nexus 7 the recordings are superb even in SD.

I see from a previous post that what I asked about is possibly illegal when it comes to copying HD files. Whose interests are being harmed if the SD files are freely exportable anyway?

I'm not robbing anyone because I wouldn't buy the DVD of the programme and usually only want them for the times I am waiting in the supermarket car park for my wife to finish shopping.

I wouldn't copy anything at all if the ITV player and Demand 5 (sometimes) allowed programmes to be stored for a short while in similar fashion to All4 and the BBC iPlayer.

Quite a thread has got going here - dare I lower the tone by saying that I only started it because of my keenness for quiz shows and antique dealing shows - typical afternoon TV rubbish I know - but I want to watch when I want to and not spend all afternoon in front of the TV at the behest of TV schedulers. I know I can watch most things on demand but I like to skip over the adverts where possible which the commercial station players don't allow you to.

The Humax HDR 2000T has solved all of my problems for me and I am, as they say, - well pleased
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Y Me wrote: »
    Situation update.

Gave up trying to get the files off the 2000. Deleted everything and now recording and exporting files HD and SD happily. Mainly SD because HD takes so long.

Playing these files on my Nexus 7 the recordings are superb even in SD.

I see from a previous post that what I asked about is possibly illegal when it comes to copying HD files. Whose interests are being harmed if the SD files are freely exportable anyway?

I'm not robbing anyone because I wouldn't buy the DVD of the programme and usually only want them for the times I am waiting in the supermarket car park for my wife to finish shopping.

I wouldn't copy anything at all if the ITV player and Demand 5 (sometimes) allowed programmes to be stored for a short while in similar fashion to All4 and the BBC iPlayer.

Quite a thread has got going here - dare I lower the tone by saying that I only started it because of my keenness for quiz shows and antique dealing shows - typical afternoon TV rubbish I know - but I want to watch when I want to and not spend all afternoon in front of the TV at the behest of TV schedulers. I know I can watch most things on demand but I like to skip over the adverts where possible which the commercial station players don't allow you to.

The Humax HDR 2000T has solved all of my problems for me and I am, as they say, - well pleased
    Under copyright law it is illegal to make a copy of any material subject to copyright without the express permission of the rights holder(s).

https://www.gov.uk/intellectual-property/copyright

There is an exemption for timeshifting TV programmes with a PVR. ie recording the programme at the time of broadcast to watch it at a later time. Keeping that recording as part of a library for repeated viewing and possibly transferring it onto another medium for viewing is very likely to be illegal. And it makes no difference if the programme is SD or HD or any other format you care to imagine. The only thing that matters is whether copyright exists on the material and whether or not you have permission to copy that material.

That probably explains why manufacturers do not make it easy to copy recordings off their products.

Mind you having said all that, the chances of the rozzers smashing your door down and dragging you kicking and screaming to the local nick and leaving you to rot in some deep dark dungeon are about the same as winning the Lottery jackpot when you never buy a ticket. :)
  • SteveMcKSteveMcK Posts: 5,457
    Forum Member
    I'd guess that the main reason for blocking HD copying is to prevent people uploading high quality video to platforms like YouTube and/or creating bootleg Bluray and DVD recordings for sale. The TV companies prefer to persuade people to buy the legitimate HD recordings.

Of course, the kind of people that want to do this copying for illegal commercial purposes will have no difficulty spending the smallish amount of money required to bypass the copy protection so, as always, this just inconveniences the ordinary user who wants to put a copy on a tablet for a long plane journey without making the slightest difference to the real thieves.
  • Y MeY Me Posts: 4,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've noticed that files from ITV & Channel 4 play OK via Windows Media player with K-Lite codecs installed but BBC files don't.

All files play OK with VLC. Not a problem I know but just curious as to know which codecs WMP needs for BBC H/SD .ts files.