David Jason in Crossroads in 1960s

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,584
Forum Member
✭✭✭
It appears David jason had a brief run in the much mocked soap, Crossroads in 1967, as a gardener I believe. Has any poster ever seeen him in this? I didnt see crossroads for the first time until 1969 or '70. I did see |Jasdon in an episode of the original 'Randall and Hopkirk' inb the same year probably. Now there was programme and a half. My favourite at the time. The reeves and Mortimer hatchett job didn't come close, and Kenneth Cope was definitely not amused, from all accounts

Comments

• knackyknickknocknackyknickknoc Posts: 422
    Forum Member
    Jason was in Do Not Adjust Your Set before he was in Hopkirk.

I'll look through my TV Times scans for 1967 to see if he is listed - or do you have that info already and are just enquiring to see if anyone has seen him in it.

Are none of the 1967 episodes included in the Crossroads Archive releases?
  • doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    IMDB says one episode in 1966:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1533211/
    Forum Member
    doom&gloom wrote: »
    IMDB says one episode in 1966:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1533211/

Thats likely to be the only one that exists rather than the only one he appeared in .
    Forum Member
    I've checked the August 13th1966 issue and David Jason is credited in the Monday , Tuesday and Wednesday shows.
    Curiously Bob Monkhouse is listed as Guest Star on the Thursday and Friday shows- that's an Anglia issue.

Not sure if they were at the same point in the series but Jason is not listed for any the following week in a London issue.

But the week earlier , W/C Aug 6th Jason is listed in one episode so he must have been in it for more than just one week.
    Forum Member
    Elsewhere including on his Wikipedia site it says he played a different character Bert Bradshaw in 1964 (says Bernie Kilroy on IMDB).

Picture on here, doesn't look like a gardener.

Other sites say he made his appearnace on Crossroads in 1967 and even 1968 but they say it was a one-off so the situation is confusing.
    Forum Member
    I've checked the August 13th1966 issue and David Jason is credited in the Monday , Tuesday and Wednesday shows.
    Curiously Bob Monkhouse is listed as Guest Star on the Thursday and Friday shows- that's an Anglia issue.

Not sure if they were at the same point in the series but Jason is not listed for any the following week in a London issue.

But the week earlier , W/C Aug 6th Jason is listed in one episode so he must have been in it for more than just one week.

Is he credited as Bert Bradshaw or Bernie Kilroy?

He may have played two characters, this is common with soaps.
    Forum Member
    doom&gloom wrote: »
    Is he credited as Bert Bradshaw or Bernie Kilroy?

He may have played two characters, this is common with soaps.

Bernie Kilroy in the 1966 episodes.
    I know that some regions were often months apart on Crossroads but AFAIK that happened after the 1968 franchise changes and some of the new companies , including Thames removed the show altogether so when it returned they were 6 months behind the regions that had carried on showing it.
    I think they were pretty much in synch until then although I doubt many showed it from day one except ATV and of course back then it was common for episodes to be wiped quite quickly after broadcast especially with something like Crossroads which was on 5 days a week back then
  • essexpeteessexpete Posts: 9,208
    Forum Member
    There's a bit about it in his biography. His character started off as a normal gardener, then there was a writer change and the gardener became a mad killer without any explanation.Unsurprisingly Jason was not happy with this. Sue Nicholls also appeaared in Crossroads in the late
    60s,about the time she released a single called 'Where Will You Be' IIRC
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jason was in Do Not Adjust Your Set before he was in Hopkirk.

I'll look through my TV Times scans for 1967 to see if he is listed - or do you have that info already and are just enquiring to see if anyone has seen him in it.Are none of the 1967 episodes included in the Crossroads Archive releases?

I knew about DNAYS, just forgot about it here, Was wondering if anyone else saw him that far back.
  • David_TownsonDavid_Townson Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    According to David's 2013 autobiography, the character was called Bernie Killroy and he was a crooked boxing manager.
    David also states that he had a 3-month contract in mid-1966, and also the character re-appeared later that year for a couple of weeks.
    My Life, pages 122-130 (hardback edition)
    :)
  • David_TownsonDavid_Townson Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    TV Times scan from 15 August 1966 (http://radiosoundsfamiliar.com/complete-tv-times-august-1966.php, page 23) clearly shows David Jason as Bernie Kiljoy.
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bernie Kilroy in the 1966 episodes.
    I know that some regions were often months apart on Crossroads but AFAIK that happened after the 1968 franchise changes and some of the new companies , including Thames removed the show altogether so when it returned they were 6 months behind the regions that had carried on showing it.
    I think they were pretty much in synch until then although I doubt many showed it from day one except ATV and of course back then it was common for episodes to be wiped quite quickly after broadcast especially with something like Crossroads which was on 5 days a week back then

...and when Thames rejoined the rest of the country they had a special episode with Meg in her sitting room telling viewers what they'd missed for six months!!!