Options

Ripper Street Series 3, BBC1 31.07.15 - NO SPOILERS PLEASE

Comments

• Options
    The MatrixThe Matrix Posts: 378
    Forum Member
    Excellent series. BBC drama should be ashamed they initially dropped the Ripper Street.
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another good one - they invented British fingerprinting! ;)

I like the way the script wanders slightly off piste allowing characters to explore - Reid in discussion with the thrill seeker for example. That gout looked painful.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not by today's PC standards of course but back then Drake would have been seen as the ideal when toughness was a cherished quality amongst coppers.

Plus Whitechapel was a poverty stricken shithole filled with casual violence and thuggish criminals and needed hard men to face them.

I think the programme gets the balance right with Reid and Grace being representing the more modern forward looking officer with Fred and Bennet the typical high ranking copper of the age - in their position through experience and grit.

Drake would not have risen higher than Sergeant.
    mike65 wrote: »

I like the way the script wanders slightly off piste allowing characters to explore - Reid in discussion with the thrill seeker for example. That gout looked painful.

Strange story and I just didn't buy it. I found it all rather unsatisfactory.
  • Options
    donna255donna255 Posts: 10,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It felt like a filler to bring in the finger printing. I did say when Long Susan shot Reid, she left her fingerprints on the gun.;-) So no doubt that will be used at a later date. And the Captain's girl friend, taking one of Reid's folders, or did she plant the gun???????:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    donna255 wrote: »
    It felt like a filler to bring in the finger printing. I did say when Long Susan shot Reid, she left her fingerprints on the gun.;-) So no doubt that will be used at a later date. And the Captain's girl friend, taking one of Reid's folders, or did she plant the gun???????:o

They will have to wait till 1902.
  • Options
    roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So, the lady is prepared to hang for something she didnt do "For a thrill"?
  • Options
    PompeyBillPompeyBill Posts: 7,409
    Forum Member
    roddydogs wrote: »

Well, yes.

It happens, people have all sorts of strange compulsions. See the famous case of Arwin Miewes and Bernd Brandes for example;

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2003/dec/04/germany.lukeharding
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    Drake would not have risen higher than Sergeant.

Strange story and I just didn't buy it. I found it all rather unsatisfactory.

We will have to agree to disagree (not for the first time on DS) although our mutual hatred of the Philth unites us. :D

I thought it was another excellent and atmospheric episode - poor old Don - when Mimi stood on his toe I winced and laughed out loud at the same time.

I am still furious with the BBC for axing this magnificent show when they will fund any old 'right on' PC shit or 'celebrity' and 'reality' dross.

Thank God for Amazon.
  • Options
    ButterfaceButterface Posts: 2,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another sublime episode. It was incredibly atmospheric and the dialogue absolutely wonderful particularly between Reid and Lady Vera. Lady Vera looked disturbingly like Angelina Jolie!

Couldn't Captain Jackson have had a bit of sympathy for Sgt BushyBeard and given him some laudenam for that gout !?
  • Options
    Pacman1854Pacman1854 Posts: 1,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just skipping ahead a little, but next weeks final episode of the series is listed in the TV mag we have as "The Downfall of Long Susan Hart", but in the episode guide to series 3 it was called "The Peace of Edmund Reid", and I'm sure this was the title when it was originally shown.

No spoilers, obviously, but why do you think they've changed the title?

Have the BBC had to edit so much out that Edmund's been left on the cutting room floor?
  • Options
    ayrshireman1ayrshireman1 Posts: 2,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mike65 wrote: »

As a (non-nationalist) Scot, bit annoyed that the Scottish inventor of modern fingerprinting, Henry Faulds, was omitted and only Galton mentioned. Galton famously refused to credit Faulds, and passed off his work as his own.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pacman1854 wrote: »
    Just skipping ahead a little, but next weeks final episode of the series is listed in the TV mag we have as "The Downfall of Long Susan Hart", but in the episode guide to series 3 it was called "The Peace of Edmund Reid", and I'm sure this was the title when it was originally shown.

No spoilers, obviously, but why do you think they've changed the title?

Have the BBC had to edit so much out that Edmund's been left on the cutting room floor?

I bloody hope not.

We don't all have Amazon Prime - anyway just for once why could the BBC have started the programme a few minutes earlier so we could watch the whole finale.

How hard can it be to do that?

So we could see all of this magnificent show play out.

I know that they actually hate the programme but they would do it for the bloody football or any reality/celebrity dross - you can be certain of that. >:(
  • Options
    roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    Bit boring this week. Matthew McFadden has had an easy season thats 2 episodes so far he hasn't had to speak!
    I thought this, was he away on other projects some of the time maybe?
  • Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another good episode where Jerome Flynn's acting stood out for me, and also in the previous episode too. Couldn't work out if the actor who played Mary's 'dad' was actually male or female, the credits flowed too quick for me to see but regardless they also played it well to that point that it wasn't obvious (to me at least).

Roll on to the next, can't wait! ;)
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    myss wrote: »
    Another good episode where Jerome Flynn's acting stood out for me, and also in the previous episode too. Couldn't work out if the actor who played Mary's 'dad' was actually male or female, the credits flowed too quick for me to see but regardless they also played it well to that point that it wasn't obvious (to me at least).

Roll on to the next, can't wait! ;)

Mary's "dad" was played by an actress, Haydn Gwynne. She's been on TV in a lot of things, but I didn't recognise her in this. She was excellent - but they all are!

Agree, it was a very good episode. Finale next week, I think. Definitely not to be missed. :)
  • Options
    Pacman1854Pacman1854 Posts: 1,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had the original Amazon versions for a while now, but have watched them at BBC's pace so as to avoid spoilers, but to at least be able to experience the full album versions rather than the BBC's single edits, so to speak.
    However, after watching last nights and the way it ended I've decided to watch the final episode straight after (sorry, couldn't wait, but no spoilers to follow, honest).
    This time, however, I will also watch the BBC version next week, just to see how much actually makes it on screen as, as mentioned in other threads, it's quite graphic, and also why it appears the BBC have also changed the episode title.
    I have to say that, despite initially coming to this series and writing it off as a TV rip-off of Guy Ritchie's Sherlock movies, I have grown to love the series, it's characters, setting and almost poetic dialogue, and look forward to future series.
  • Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mary's "dad" was played by an actress, Haydn Gwynne. She's been on TV in a lot of things, but I didn't recognise her in this. She was excellent - but they all are!

Agree, it was a very good episode. Finale next week, I think. Definitely not to be missed. :)
    OMG :o:o I know of Haydn Gwynne from when she was in Drop The Dead Donkey!!! As soon as I read that, I actually made me sit straight up but it made sense as I can see the similarity in the facial features.
    Wow, she definitely played it well, I thought she was a pretty tall lady too but she looked quite short in that episode. Well done to her.
  • Options
    donna255donna255 Posts: 10,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I spotted it was a woman pretty early on.;-)

Did not recognise Haydn though, I remember her having waist length hair.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We will have to agree to disagree (not for the first time on DS) although our mutual hatred of the Philth unites us. :D

I thought it was another excellent and atmospheric episode - poor old Don - when Mimi stood on his toe I winced and laughed out loud at the same time.

I am still furious with the BBC for axing this magnificent show when they will fund any old 'right on' PC shit or 'celebrity' and 'reality' dross.

Thank God for Amazon.

I enjoyed it as well even though it didn't feature my personal favourite, Fred Best and I laughed out loud at the 'toe' moment. :D
    donna255 wrote: »
    I spotted it was a woman pretty early on.;-)

Did not recognise Haydn though, I remember her having waist length hair.

I as a bit distracted when she first appeared but OH said he's a woman, I looked up and immediately said 'Remember Drop The Dead Donkey?' I got her name a couple of minutes later.

We love this show, although OH was a bit late coming on board, and we normally record it and watch it on a Saturday evening. I'd missed an episode for some reason so had a full 2 hours last night. :D
  • Options
    China GirlChina Girl Posts: 2,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't believe I have never watched the previous series of this!!!!!!
    This has been so good that I'm almost kicking myself for missing out.

Captain Jackson is my favourite character, closely followed by Drake.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    roddydogs wrote: »
    Yes. Daft that:o
    Indeed. :p
  • Options
    claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bloody hope not.

We don't all have Amazon Prime - anyway just for once why could the BBC have started the programme a few minutes earlier so we could watch the whole finale.

How hard can it be to do that?

So we could see all of this magnificent show play out.

I know that they actually hate the programme but they would do it for the bloody football or any reality/celebrity dross - you can be certain of that. >:(

The BBC don't hate the program at all - it was cancelled because it cost a fortune to make and they couldn't justify it with the ratings it got. It was very well thought of but the finances just weren't there. Thankfully Amazon stepped in.

As for the cuts - are the BBC even entitled to show the full version? I presumed part of the deal was Amazon got to have content the BBC didn't, hence the longer running time.
  • Options
    Dilly DaydreamDilly Daydream Posts: 6,187
    Forum Member
    Another excellent episode, it just gets better and better.

And it's like a GoT reunion, so far we've had:

Blackfish Tully
    Bronn
    Yoren
    Tommen Baratheon

and now Ser Barriston Selmy :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    claire2281 wrote: »
    The BBC don't hate the program at all - it was cancelled because it cost a fortune to make and they couldn't justify it with the ratings it got. It was very well thought of but the finances just weren't there. Thankfully Amazon stepped in.

As for the cuts - are the BBC even entitled to show the full version? I presumed part of the deal was Amazon got to have content the BBC didn't, hence the longer running time.

That is interesting, thanks.

As for the episode I did not recognise Haydn until halfway through - and was kicking myself. :D

Roll on Friday.