Shane Filan first album as solo artist, your thoughts?

Comments

• zeze88zeze88 Posts: 1,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That has surprised me, I expected him to drop to the mid 10s. Westlife were always strong physical sellers though I believe.

Oh yes, most definitely! Also, it looks like there has been a huge problem with Amazon because many of the fans who ordered signed edition didn't get it so I presume those fans went and bought it in the store.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shane told the fans on album signings that he will maybe film a DVD of the next tour.

That's great, it would be nice to see his solo concert.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I'm writing this. Shane is back to #2 on Irish iTunes. I wonder what caused such climb...
  • coun3spicecoun3spice Posts: 671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    amazing!

i also expected him to drop down bigtime from #10. so it's not all about itunes i must say
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shane is no. 1 in Ireland:

His tweet:

OMG!! Just got the amazing news my album is No1 in Ireland !!!!🎶🍀 🍀🍀🍀🍀
    Thank you so much to everyone who made this possible
    #RightHereNo1
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,987
    Forum Member
    Hopefully he stays in the top ten over here when the chart is announced later
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shane is officially no 11 in UK.
    Forum Member
    Shame it dropped from the top ten :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Number 1 in Ireland and 11 in UK!

great and not so great news
  • woodlandswoodlands Posts: 624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He did a lot of signings in Ireland and you don't have to actually sell that many copies to get to number 1, still fair play to him for working hard for it! Number 11 in the UK though and only selling under 9000 copies (half of what his debut album sold on its release), so not quite the successful solo career Louis promised:confused: I think his new label will be disappointed with that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But consider this:

The album was so low-key about everything. Heck, even fans were surprised when he released the music video for Me and The Moon, gave full details of the album and a pre-order link which offered the first "single", all in one day - I say "single" because it really wasn't since it was an instant grat, those who pre-ordered the album got the song.

I think he should have released the duet with Nadine as a proper first single to create a buzz, then release a proper 2nd single and then the album.

So all things considered, being no. 11 is actually really not that bad.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zeze88 wrote: »
    But consider this:

I think he should have released the duet with Nadine as a proper first single to create a buzz, then release a proper 2nd single and then the album.

Its supposed to be his album though - so releasing the duet with Nadia first, and using that and GA fans to sell the album, doesn't show much confidence in his solo material.r:confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woodlands wrote: »
    Its supposed to be his album though - so releasing the duet with Nadia first, and using that and GA fans to sell the album, doesn't show much confidence in his solo material.r:confused:

But it is his song, a song he co-wrote, it isn't some cover or anything so I don't think confidence should be the factor here. It is not like he is starting out, this is his 2nd solo album so he has nothing to prove. The duets are done to create the buzz, it benefits both artists.

Besides like I said Me and the Moon wasn't truly a single, this duet will be by the looks of it because he started to promote it on radio stations before the official release.
    Forum Member
    Just bear in mind he's with an independent label that has released two flop Boyzone albums and they've stayed signed. I don't think Shane's album would have cost all that much to produce.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just bear in mind he's with an independent label that has released two flop Boyzone albums and they've stayed signed. I don't think Shane's album would have cost all that much to produce.

Well you say that but, actually Boyzone's two ablums weren't completely a flop. BZ20 actually went Gold in the UK and its lead single Love Will Save the Day received good airplay. Detroit to Dublin was just an interim covers album not studio album released just for Xmas with no lead single - so not much was really expected of it anyway - however it did go silver.

This is Shanes first album with this new label so it's slightly in a different position, but as you say I doubt that they will drop him.
  • siriusrosesiriusrose Posts: 1,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh I hadn't realised he went #1 in Ireland, great news. Shame he missed top 10 in the UK, 9k sales isn't great, hopefully it will not just drop now, but I won't be surprised if it does, he needs to get some promo done and have a proper single release to create awareness that he is about.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shane performed on Songs of Praise and he sang Your Love Carries Me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypsiQ6_UoNY
  • SummerHeartSummerHeart Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    But consider this:

The album was so low-key about everything. Heck, even fans were surprised when he released the music video for Me and The Moon, gave full details of the album and a pre-order link which offered the first "single", all in one day - I say "single" because it really wasn't since it was an instant grat, those who pre-ordered the album got the song.

So all things considered, being no. 11 is actually really not that bad.

It's also not that good. After all, he's a member of a popular boy band. Ronan Keating's last solo album made #5 in the UK.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's also not that good. After all, he's a member of a popular boy band. Ronan Keating's last solo album made #5 in the UK.

But you can't compare Ronan with Shane, he is solidly established solo artist who started his career 5 years after Boyzone who were still very popular when they ended it. It is very much different for Shane who started after being 14 years in a boyband that wasn't in their heyday anymore.

I wonder would have Ronan still be #5 if he went solo 14 years after being in a boyband... I highly doubt it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shane plummeted down the charts, he is #49 in midweeks.

Expected but still sad to see - You and Me also did fall down the charts rather quickly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i think releasing a single could help the album climb up again
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shane plummeted down the charts, he is #49 in midweeks.

Expected but still sad to see - You and Me also did fall down the charts rather quickly.

At least he had success in Ireland;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least he had success in Ireland;-)

Of course, I'm sure he is thrilled about that. I think he could stay in Top 10 as the album is still decently holding on to Top 20 on iTunes.

I'm interested to see if I Could Be as a proper single would help the album. I noticed he is doing bigger promo in Ireland than the UK so no wonder album is in this position in the UK.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course, I'm sure he is thrilled about that. I think he could stay in Top 10 as the album is still decently holding on to Top 20 on iTunes.

I'm interested to see if I Could Be as a proper single would help the album. I noticed he is doing bigger promo in Ireland than the UK so no wonder album is in this position in the UK.

I think its because Louis Walsh has more clout in Ireland and can line up stuff for him todo. I just don't think he has a big enough profile as a solo act in the UK. He has ruled out doing any reality TV but, maybe that is what he needs to get noticed!

I'm just wondering how long Louis will be behind him though, he can be very fickle and downright nasty when things aren't going so well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think its because Louis Walsh has more clout in Ireland and can line up stuff for him todo. I just don't think he has a big enough profile as a solo act in the UK. He has ruled out doing any reality TV but, maybe that is what he needs to get noticed!

I'm just wondering how long Louis will be behind him though, he can be very fickle and downright nasty when things aren't going so well.

That is true but I doubt he will do that to Shane. Shane keeps saying Louis is like a father to him, they have been working together for so long that he trusts him completely. I mean, Louis could have easily dropped him when the debut didn't do great and when label dropped him but instead he found him another contract.

Its true that reality TV would help him - just look at Kian who recorded an album thanks to winning I'm A Celebrity Get Me Outta Here. But I don't think he will go down that route, it may be stupid but I do respect his decision.

One thing has to be acknowledged though - his albums may be flopping here but I think he is still doing quite alright when it comes to touring, and he has some album success in Asia, he even went there for few gigs and a promo.