Cradle to the grave - Peter Kay's new comedy

Ginger1Ginger1 Posts: 417
Forum Member
Just seen the trailer for a new comedy starring Peter Kay and was wondering if this is goIng to be a flop or another string to his bow following on from his success with car share.

Starting on the 3rd September, it is based on the autobiography of Danny baker, who I've just read, is in the process of writing the second series. Peter kay playing his dad and lucy speed (ex eastenders/the bill) his mum

I was apprehensive about car share when that first aired as thought Peter Kay had had his day but was proved wrong and loved it.....

So will this "period comedy" be a flop or a must watch.....?

Comments

• TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    I find it odd that you're describing it as 'Peter Kay's new comedy' when Kay is just one of the cast. It is built from Danny Baker's autobiography, not from Peter Kay.
  • snafu65snafu65 Posts: 18,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TUC wrote: »
    I find it odd that you're describing it as 'Peter Kay's new comedy' when Kay is just one of the cast. It is built from Danny Baker's autobiography, not from Peter Kay.

it's true what you say but Peter Kay is the biggest name in the show so I guess it's fair enough. Anyway lets not split hairs, I saw the trailer the other day and it looks good, I'll be watching it.
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surprised this is on BBC after they axed Danny's radio show and he went on a rant..
    Presenter lambasts 'pinhead weasels', hours after finding out his afternoon show was to be dropped

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2012/nov/01/axed-danny-baker-bbc-rant

Still it looks good from the trailers..
  • TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    Surprised this is on BBC after they axed Danny's radio show and he went on a rant..

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2012/nov/01/axed-danny-baker-bbc-rant

Still it looks good from the trailers..

He does still work for the BBC you know?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He does still work for the BBC you know?

Wasn't aware of that.. Seems he now does a Saturday morning show on 5Live.
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    Ginger1 wrote: »
    Just seen the trailer for a new comedy starring Peter Kay and was wondering if this is goIng to be a flop or another string to his bow following on from his success with car share.

Starting on the 3rd September, it is based on the autobiography of Danny baker, who I've just read, is in the process of writing the second series. Peter kay playing his dad and lucy speed (ex eastenders/the bill) his mum

I was apprehensive about car share when that first aired as thought Peter Kay had had his day but was proved wrong and loved it.....

So will this "period comedy" be a flop or a must watch.....?

Already written, and very good.

I'm unsure about this, loved the book, but Peter Kay as Spud just isn't how I pictured him myself, but will try and watch with an open mind, hopefully as good and funny as the book. The bloke playing Danny has his voice pretty much spot on.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ugh...Danny Baker. Pass.
  • murrkinmurrkin Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    The book that this was based on "Going to Sea in a sieve" was superb - real laugh out loud stuff.

Add Jeff Pope to this as co writer and I'm looking forward to it...
  • carnoch04carnoch04 Posts: 10,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes, since 2009!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    carnoch04 wrote: »
    Yes, since 2009!

Not a frequent listener to the wireless so wouldn't know. :cool:
  • Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member

That show has been going for YEARS. It's not bad. I bought his first book as an audiobook and loved it. He doesnt seem to have bought the second one out as an audiobook, which is odd.
  • MrTheDMrTheD Posts: 184
    Forum Member
    As a big fan of Danny Baker (not so much some of the vehicles he was given, but him as a person, writer and comedic mind) I've been excited about this since he first mentioned it was in the offing.

His first book (well, both books really) are fantastic reads, and he the stories within it are riotously entertaining, both in terms of his own experiences working in an independent record shop and his dads adventures on the docks.

What comes across is a real sense of warmth and loving. If you've read the books or listened to his shows on a regular basis you would know Baker is not someone who entertains negativity, refuses to be cynical and has a child like enthusiasm for everything,

From hearing interviews about the show I think it will be in this tone - not focusing on the negative aspects of the decade, the hardships, the grim perception of the 70s and instead concentrate on his hero worshipping of his dad and his moral compass, along with his own wide eyed wonderment at the world.

My only worry is if Peter Kay can pull off playing a cockney or if it becomes distrating and takes away from the story, but hopefully not.

As you can tell, I have been dying for this to start and can't wait for episode 1 !
  • Ginger1Ginger1 Posts: 417
    Forum Member

Ha ha if there was a tongue in cheek emoticon I would have used it ;-)
    I remember the uproar when car share was billed as peter kays car share....i was waiting dor the backlash....it didn't take long for someone to bite :p
  • QwertyGirl1771QwertyGirl1771 Posts: 4,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another fan of Danny Baker. Looking forward to Cradle To Grave as I love Peter Kaye too. Was gutted when Danny left BBC London but still get my (little) fix every Saturday morning listening to him on Radio 5.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do the words "peter kay" and "comedy" belong in the same sentence? Compared to Danny Baker he's totally unfunny. Actually, that's not unique to DB - it applies to everyone. Even Miranda Hart is funny compared to PK.

And can he manage an east London accent?
  • Ginger1Ginger1 Posts: 417
    Forum Member
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    Do the words "peter kay" and "comedy" belong in the same sentence? Compared to Danny Baker he's totally unfunny. Actually, that's not unique to DB - it applies to everyone. Even Miranda Hart is funny compared to PK.

:o lol
    Everyone's entitled to their own opinion , but something tells me you'll probably watch it just for the sheer fact so you can come on here and say how unfunny peter kay is and complain about his godawful cockney accent ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ginger1 wrote: »
    :o lol
    Everyone's entitled to their own opinion , but something tells me you'll probably watch it just for the sheer fact so you can come on here and say how unfunny peter kay is and complain about his godawful cockney accent ;-)

I'll watch at least one episode of any comedy (as long as it's not on BBC3 or BBC4) to see what it's like. If I have a comment to make then, yes, I'll come on here. But probably only once, if I don't watch it again.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I'll watch at least one episode of any comedy (as long as it's not on BBC3 or BBC4) to see what it's like. If I have a comment to make then, yes, I'll come on here. But probably only once, if I don't watch it again.
    Then you may have missed The Thick of It, Getting On, Uncle, Bluestone42, Murder in Successville which are just a few off the top of my head that started on BBC3 & BBC4. There are many more that have had success.

BBC1 & BBC2 have their fair share of duds.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    snafu65 wrote: »
    it's true what you say but Peter Kay is the biggest name in the show so I guess it's fair enough. Anyway lets not split hairs, I saw the trailer the other day and it looks good, I'll be watching it.

I don't think it is fair enough. Just because you're the most famous name in a production doesn't make it yours. You shouldn't be given the credit for it belonging to you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Then you may have missed The Thick of It, Getting On, Uncle, Bluestone42, Murder in Successville which are just a few off the top of my head that started on BBC3 & BBC4. There are many more that have had success..........................

I may well have missed them, but have I missed anything worthwhile? I'm sure anything good would be moved to BBC1 or BBC2. I've dipped into so-called comedies on these minor channels, and they seem to be the kind of writing which finds obscenities hilarious. Well, I'm afraid I don't.
  • ValentineValentine Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surprised a professional northerner like Peter Kay has been chosen to play a cockney, wonder how that will work?
  • fozzie74fozzie74 Posts: 284
    Forum Member
    Valentine wrote: »
    Surprised a professional northerner like Peter Kay has been chosen to play a cockney, wonder how that will work?

Well, he didn't have to travel far as it was filmed in Manchester! He walked past my other half in full character costume. (Not a reason to watch it.. but we prob will ;))

Lots of filming in the northern quarter in the city centre (was used as new york in the crap remake of alfie a few years ago!), and out in Eccles.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/whats-on/film-news/peter-kay-spotted-filming-new-8929697

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/whats-on/film-and-tv/danny-baker-peter-kay-perfect-9932397

If he can do the accent...? We'll find out i guess :D
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Valentine wrote: »

He's a mate of Danny's, probably how he got the job.
    The trailers are already airing, you'll hear how it works.

Thing with Danny's Dad is, he was a big loud bloke, sort of bloke who can't go unnoticed, that's a hard thing to carry off in TV drama.

Professional scouser, cockney, londoner, northerner, gawd knows what any of these 'professionals' that people bandy about actually mean.
    Just looks like a pi$$ weak dig to me.
  • JBOJBO Posts: 6,148
    Forum Member

Hardly relevant as he's playing a South Londoner.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JBO wrote: »
    Hardly relevant as he's playing a South Londoner.

LOL. I take it you mean south of the Thames. Well, it wiggles around a bit in that area, and Deptford looks pretty much due east of the City of London for me. If you go by the Thames, then there are parts of South London which are north of places in North London.