The Graham Norton Show Series 18

Comments

• RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought at one point that K. Branagh was going to take over the show. His adulation for Judi Dench was way OTT.

Tom H's impression of Al Pacino wasn't bad - De Niro's was poor. I did laugh though, when he did Graham Norton. :p
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    The problem with Bob is that he doesn't like doing interviews. He's doing them more now so that the studios support his film festival.

He really didn't need to be there when most of the show was the other three guests discussing him. It must have been an odd situation.

Four big name guests is probably too many anyway. He usually has that problem when he stuffs the sofa full of guests.
  • topcat3topcat3 Posts: 3,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    Perhaps he expects to go on a programme to be interviewed and not just expected to perform some anecdotes heard many times previously.

Graham asked him some questions but he really wasn't giving much away
  • montyburns56montyburns56 Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh no , Hiddleston's impressions were cringe , should only do impressions if they're quick and funny .

And he spent so much time just explaining the set up for the impressions as well! While the Al Pacino impression was half decent his De Niro one sounded like an impression of someone doing an impression.

And as others have said, the arse licking of De Niro by the guests was almost nauseating. I'm guessing that none of them have seen any of his films in the last twenty years when he has done mostly trash like Meet The Fockers.
  • GibletOSullivanGibletOSullivan Posts: 42,022
    Forum Member
    It was a generally uninteresting show, but I actually got a bit miffed by all the hyping of The Shires.

I'm not particularly a fan of that sort of music to begin with, but there isn't really much point trumpeting the fact that you're 'the first English country pop band to have a hit in the UK' as if this is an amazing new musical horizon, when a) you sound more American than most American country pop bands, and b) I can think of at least one genuine English country pop band who had a hit in the UK 42 years ago in 1973, and who managed to play in an American c&w style whilst still sounding very English indeed .

Perhaps what The Shires ought to describe themselves as is an 'English Americana pop band' [or as someone upthread mentioned, on the evidence of this appearance, a Counting Crows tribute band].

*removes pedantic muso beard and pipe and goes to bed*
    Forum Member
    I thought it was going to be a reference to The Wurzels :D
  • PaulJoseph22PaulJoseph22 Posts: 4,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This episode was like watching " America's Got Talent or Britain's Got Talent. Dreadful.
  • GibletOSullivanGibletOSullivan Posts: 42,022
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I thought it was going to be a reference to The Wurzels :D
    Hehe, I forgot them!
  • SteganStegan Posts: 5,039
    Forum Member
    I quite liked Tom Hiddleston and his impressions weren't too bad to be fair. Branagh and Hathaway were also fairly watchable.

Robert DeNiro was much as expected but it was still fascinating to see such a legendary actor interact with the others guests. Graham Norton was on quite good form and all in all, it was a fairly entertaining edition of the show.
  • samusek2samusek2 Posts: 3,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tomorrow's episode has been completed and will feature Meryl Streep, Carey Mulligan, Nicole Kidman, Nigella Lawson and Gabrielle Aplin.

The episode two weeks from now on 23 October will be a James Bond Special featuring Daniel Craig, Naomie Harris and Sam Smith. I am not positive if Sam will be third chair or just come in at the end. ( I don't know if more 007 cast will appear)

Oddly, this 007 Norton will be shown 6 days after ITV broadcasts a special aside programme hosted by Wossy where he goes on set to interview the cast of Spectre. This isn't the actual first episode of the Jonathan Ross Show series. The 007 special will air a few hours earlier.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another 4 guest sofa? I really wish Graham would go back to the normal 3 guests per show. It's too much when you have 4/5 guests on and some barely get a word in. Unless the show is extended to an hour, what's the point?

I really enjoyed the first 2 GN's of the series so far. Jessica Chastain had a hoot laughing at Bill Bailey's jokes and i don't think Tom Hiddleston's impressions were that bad but it did go on for far too long. I wonder if this show was recorded before or after DeNiro walked out of the Radio Times interview lol.

The Weeknd was great, Shires were shite!
    Forum Member
    In the first 5 or so series of the show he usually had two sofa guests and a musical act.

He would give more time to interviewing the guests, not just plugging their latest venture, whilst at the same time cutting away to have fun with websites, the audience or the public.

It's now almost stale as he has a full sofa so just has to run through each one to plug what they're doing and there's not much time for anything else.
  • mountymounty Posts: 19,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    that is the sparkliest arse I've seen all week
  • tgabbertgabber Posts: 2,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well nobody had anything much interesting to say tonight :(
  • djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nigella was the only boring thing about tonight's show
  • MagicCoppeliaMagicCoppelia Posts: 20,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good show I loved it!. Great to have an all female couch and a female music guest!.:)
  • RoquentinRoquentin Posts: 143
    Forum Member
    I thought it was an entertaining enough show as usual and Carey Mulligan is even hotter when she has longer hair.
  • RandysbackRandysback Posts: 3,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good show I loved it!. Great to have an all female couch and a female music guest!.:)

Whys that then?
  • pete137pete137 Posts: 18,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    djfunnyman wrote: »

Your right. If she's not talking in faux titilating innuendo like on her shows, then she is dull as dishwater.
  • richardwdsrichardwds Posts: 492
    Forum Member
    djfunnyman wrote: »

Did someone in the gallery say something?
  • chopsimchopsim Posts: 3,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roquentin wrote: »
    I thought it was an entertaining enough show as usual and Carey Mulligan is even hotter when she has longer hair.

God yes!! She is damn hot with long hair 😘
  • Hyram FyramHyram Fyram Posts: 3,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's always a bad sign on this show when all the guests are only drinking water. And Nicole Kidman seemed to have botoxed her face so much it was like a horror mask - depressing. And the fact they left so much time in the edit for the red chair underlined how dull the guests had been - lots of mutual support and respect but very little in the way of entertainment.
  • andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    I felt Graham ignored Nigella at times, and the guests sort of didn't like her, not sure why. Nigella is the hottest milf on the planet wow
  • steviexsteviex Posts: 131,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I felt Graham ignored Nigella at times, and the guests sort of didn't like her, not sure why. Nigella is the hottest milf on the planet wow

She doesn't do a thing for me!

I hadn't seen her much before last night's show, but sometimes when she spoke and even with some of the profile shots, I kept being reminded of her father! :o:D
  • EVIL-MONKEYEVIL-MONKEY Posts: 53,866
    Forum Member
    steviex wrote: »
    She doesn't do a thing for me!

I hadn't seen her much before last night's show, but sometimes when she spoke and even with some of the profile shots, I kept being reminded of her father! :o:D

YEP! She's not my type at all and I've never really been a fan of her.

I thought it would have been better if she was not there at all (moved to an all British sofa?) She came across as needy and just didn't work well with the other three. Was she booked a long time in advance so that they couldn't cancel her because she seemed to be just a tag on guest?