Have I Got News For You. Series 50

Comments

• Ess_BeeEss_Bee Posts: 7,716
    Forum Member

He can be very witty but he milks his jokes until he becomes embarrassing. I'd be happy to see him leave HIGNFY.

I feel that about Alan Davies on QI (another thread, I know). He grabs hold of something he thinks a little funny and milks it for all it's worth, usually very loudly. He gets on my nerves. He's like a middle aged schoolboy.

Richard Osman was supremely unfunny last night, seemed bitter and angry towards JC. >:(
  • Guest82722Guest82722 Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now, I've never been to a recording of HIGNFY but isn't the normal form to record about 75 minutes worth, and condense it down to 30 minutes (40 longer repeat)?

Maybe Osman made the classic mistake of thinking 'i'll do 20 anti Clarkson jokes, and they'll choose the best two or three' instead of which they showed the lot, which makes it look like he has an agenda (which he does).
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moleskin wrote: »
    First time I've seen his nasty side.

I've seen him be "edgey" before.. can't recall on what show it was but having only seen him on Pointless it was a bit of an eye opener.
    fredster wrote: »
    I got the impression he did not like Richard Osman,he practically had his back to him.

I’m bored so I re-watched it. Counted 9 digs in total where Richard went out of his way to say something about JC or relating to Top Gear. I got the impression Paul isn’t a huge JC fan either. Ian seems not to mind him too much however which probably explains why JC was more interested in facing that side of the panel than the other.

Interestingly if you watch the very end of the show after Clarkson’s rather muted “goodnight” he immediately turns to Richard, gets his attention and they have a discussion. Can't tell what he's saying.. is there a "stupid" in there maybe? Can't be sure. Could just be discussing the weather for all I know.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Some of them did feel a bit forced but I feel it livened up what would otherwise have been a dull show. On both her appearances, the best offering from the woman from the Times was something she had written before the show. Preferably, she'd say something half-decent on it instead of grimacing when anything that is mildly controversial is said.
    In her appearances on the show she has been the perfect example of 'uncomfortable journalist' on Harry and Paul's Story of the Twos pisstake of HIGNFY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCbD6MZqQWM
  • boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    How do you know 'Clarkson is the type of bully-boy who would only "thump" someone who was extremely unlikely to fight back'? Do you know him personally?

He was involved in an incident where he appears to have slapped someone during an argument, in cases like that people tend not to stop and analyse whether the other person will respon.

There wasn't an argument just a drunken rant over an extended period of time ending in a punch or two, typical of the actions of a bully boy I'd have thought.
  • SambdaSambda Posts: 6,185
    Forum Member
    Merton was useless again , he just does his usual OTT jumping about , it's embarassing .

Yes, he just sits there these days - and says very little. Can't they change him? Maybe one of the "Mock The Week" people instead? Or the "News Quiz" on the radio?
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,809
    Forum Member
    Ess_Bee wrote: »
    I feel that about Alan Davies on QI (another thread, I know). He grabs hold of something he thinks a little funny and milks it for all it's worth, usually very loudly. He gets on my nerves. He's like a middle aged schoolboy.

Richard Osman was supremely unfunny last night, seemed bitter and angry towards JC. >:(

What people seem to have missed is the strong defence of Jeremy Corbyn by Osman and the numerous pops at Corbyn by Clarkson or the scriptwriters, which the studio audience didn't appreciate.
  • allafixallafix Posts: 20,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i4u wrote: »
    What people seem to have missed is the strong defence of Jeremy Corbyn by Osman and the numerous pops at Corbyn by Clarkson or the scriptwriters, which the studio audience didn't appreciate.
    It's a satirical news quiz. Bound to be pops at Corbyn, as there were at Cameron. The point being made was there seemed to be friction between Osman and Clarkson over Top Gear. Making jokes about it is one thing but making very nearly the same joke several times gets tedious.

Clarkson can defend himself well enough. The problem was that it didn't make good TV. Rather like the show when Paul and Ian set about Angus Deayton which led to his sacking.
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There was a horrific edit near the end of the show from Jeremy to Ian when Jeremy started off about it being dangerous eating sandwiches at night. It quickly switched to Ian talking about 'a couple of hours drinking' but it was so badly done it felt out of context. Then seemingly a cut to Ian saying 'just a bad temper...'. It was awful - like one of those edits done on the DVD so all the guests can say 'Good evening and welcome to Have I Got News For You', though the latter makes sense.
  • dorkjacksndorkjacksn Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I see Corbyn's going to be the new target for the stale "Oh isn't he useless/hopeless/has no chance of getting elected" jokes now that Miliband is gone...

Cameron on the other hand, espite the comedy gold, got off basically scot-free. If it had been anyone else he would have been torn apart...
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dorkjacksn wrote: »
    I see Corbyn's going to be the new target for the stale "Oh isn't he useless/hopeless/has no chance of getting elected" jokes now that Miliband is gone...

Cameron on the other hand, espite the comedy gold, got off basically scot-free. If it had been anyone else he would have been torn apart...

I would have thought it was Corbyn was the one who is 'comedy gold', every aspect of him is potential comedy. Most sensible people seem to writing off Ashcroft's book as just revenge and believing very little of it. Even his co-author (ghost writer?) did not seem to believe it all.
  • WellHiddenMarkWellHiddenMark Posts: 1,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dorkjacksn wrote: »
    And with Charlie Brooker too!

He is consistently disappointing on celebrity panels.
  • Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    There was a horrific edit near the end of the show from Jeremy to Ian when Jeremy started off about it being dangerous eating sandwiches at night. It quickly switched to Ian talking about 'a couple of hours drinking' but it was so badly done it felt out of context. Then seemingly a cut to Ian saying 'just a bad temper...'. It was awful - like one of those edits done on the DVD so all the guests can say 'Good evening and welcome to Have I Got News For You', though the latter makes sense.

I noticed that, it leapt out of the telly. Maybe it was the only way to remove some dodgy comments as JC (apparently) refused to do re-takes. It was very clumsy though.
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    philoola wrote: »
    If I can say one thing in Osman's favour... it's that he was absolutely spot-on about Jeremy Corbyn and the nuclear button (its a trap damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-dont question). And he's the only person I've seen on TV this week actually point this out.
    It's part of a politician's job to avoid answering questions like that.

I have this episode on TiVo, but I'm going to avoid watching it and wait for the extended edition instead. It sounds like it could potentially be a lot better balanced.
    Forum Member
    Another abrupt edit was after Paul Merton re-enacted the "punch" and fell of his chair, everyone was laughing including Clarkson and you heard him say, "Good that's cleared up." Then it cut to Clarkson telling one of the panel about practising 'that face'.
    Clarkson: I've been practising that face, it's a hard one to pull off.

Camilla: What?

Clarkson: Well you knew that was going to crop up so I had to practice my face. (look of interest from Hislop)

Camilla What was your face, I didn't see it?

Clarkson: Well it's like, 'yes', I knew this was coming, 'what an idiot I am'.

Osman: With a touch of well you made a lot of money out of it.

Clarkson: Yes

Which might explain Hislop's 'Coke' comment at the end, because he realised Clarkson had been feigning hurt feelings?

Why would Clarkson have found a question about Rebekah Brooks embarrassing and censure it, it's not as though she's a criminal or done anything wrong.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    I would have thought it was Corbyn was the one who is 'comedy gold', every aspect of him is potential comedy. Most sensible people seem to writing off Ashcroft's book as just revenge and believing very little of it. Even his co-author (ghost writer?) did not seem to believe it all.
    Pig-gate is no doubt nonsense but that doesn't make Cameron's shameless lying at all acceptable. This should be satirised at every opportunity, but mostly it's rarely questioned. Corbyn may be comedy gold to you but he is at least true to his principles.
    Forum Member
    At the top of the programme when Osman defended Corbyn and the button, you can hear Clarkson say, "definitely Question Time".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why would Clarkson have found a question about Rebekah Brooks embarrassing and censure it, it's not as though she's a criminal or done anything wrong.
    I assumed it was a joke and there was no Brooks question. Clarkson wouldn't be able to censor (censure is very different) a question or avoid the subject simply because she's a friend. He wasn't able to avoid the Top Gear references.
  • BlokeeBlokee Posts: 644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Been a very interesting thread and mostly backs up my thoughts. I like JC (as a presenter, not as a person) and like RO as a presenter and seemingly as a person, not so though after that.

His shots at Clarkson were fine once or twice but he kept going to the well and therefore it came across awfully. Hislop meanwhile made two very nice shots at Clarkson that were both funny and in context with the convo (the one about two Jeremy's with extreme views and the coke shot). RO had an agenda, saw an easy win and kept swinging not realising that the public don't despise JC as much as he thought and even those that do will start to roll their eyes at the 5th/6th/7th out of context jibe at him.

Hislop's rant on Ashcroft was superb. Absolutely superb. This is a political/topical quiz/news show and he made great points. Ashcroft is skating free and there is so much to nail Cameron for that he has definitely done yet people are fascinated with a rumour from one source via someone with a massive axe to grind and want to pillory him for that.

Hislop for the past few years has become the better regular on the show and it is not even close. Merton only comes to the party if he's sitting alongside somebody who he can tag-team and has rapport with, like Ross Noble, Andy Hamilton etc.

Was a hard show to watch as it could've been excellent but Osman made it very uncomfortable. Interesting to note that the audience clearly got bored with his jokes but also that twitter loved it in the main, whereas here on DS it was more 'well that was uncomfortable and not that funny'

Shots as Clarkson were expected and deserved (and to be honest wanted) but crowbarring them in and going back to a variation of the same joke isn't funny.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Because as you rightly point out.. she was found innocent of what she was accused of. And his friendship with her is no ones business really. The attempt to drag her into the episode because Clarkson was the host is hardly going to meet with his approval.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allafix wrote: »
    Pig-gate is no doubt nonsense but that doesn't make Cameron's shameless lying at all acceptable. This should be satirised at every opportunity, but mostly it's rarely questioned. Corbyn may be comedy gold to you but he is at least true to his principles.

Which principles, they seem to change from day to day? He has already changed his mind on many of the things he promised during the campaign.

What shameless lying by the way?
  • 446.09375446.09375 Posts: 961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HIGNFY used to be Must-See TV, that I would set my video for, if I was going out. These days though, if I miss one it's not a personal tragedy any more.

That episode was terrible. Clarkson looked 10 years older than his age and depressed, there was barely a laugh to be had in the whole show. Let's hope Merton punches someone so we can get new blood in there (I still rate Hislop).
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    johnloony wrote: »
    I was surprised they didn't show the speech by Liz Truss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRhlRM6rYck

Probably far too old news to be included. The programme would have to be about 4 hours long to cover everything that happened since they were last on air! It's hardly topical any more.
  • Aidan11Aidan11 Posts: 539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You know things are bad when Ian Hislop is the funny one these days.
  • SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    Aidan11 wrote: »
    You know things are bad when Ian Hislop is the funny one these days.
    Hislop has always been good, and has always been good value. Merton seems to get worse with each series and contributes little of note these days.

I found Osman embarrassing, he was like someone late to a party who's been told it's ok to have a pop at the host but doesn't grasp when the joke is over. I've got my own back though - as of Friday night I've unfollowed Osman on Twitter. That'll show him, just as he got to 333,333 followers too. ;-)