Options

Does neutering really help behaviour?

'Oaks Addict'Oaks Addict Posts: 1,133
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The older my kitten (Jaffa Cake!) gets the wilder she is getting. I know she's going to be an outdoors cat so that's why she's definitely getting it done in 2 weeks time when she is 6 months old.

But my main question is, will it calm her down? I've heard when they're dressed they become a bit more placid and I'd love that! I love her to bits but she runs about the house like a headcase and I'm scared of her hurting herself or breaking something.

She ran in to the wall today after skidding on the laminate and broke her tooth!

Comments

• Options
    StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally, I don't think it makes much difference in general to female cats. However, after spaying she won't call so you won't have that anti-social behaviour to deal with.

Age seems to make more of a difference. After six months they tend to (very) gradually calm down. Might be why people think 'dressing' calms them.

Boys however, I think it does make a huge difference.
  • Options
    'Oaks Addict'Oaks Addict Posts: 1,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally, I don't think it makes much difference in general to female cats. However, after spaying she won't call so you won't have that anti-social behaviour to deal with.

Age seems to make more of a difference. After six months they tend to (very) gradually calm down. Might be why people think 'dressing' calms them.

Boys however, I think it does make a huge difference.

Agreed, I noticed a massive difference in my Gran's male cat.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We lost our only female who was speyed. The others are boys apart from 2. Two have calmed down, 1 is cryie. ! is so laid back but still sprays cars he doesnt like and the other one is still as nasty has ever. I think it depends what age you have it done before there hormomes kick in. I have 4 kittens at the moment 3 girls and 1 boy. they are all staying so the boy will after be done first. The girls will be done all at the same time when they are also 6-7months they are 8 wks tomorrow and are little devils on legs. One of my females runs around like a lunatic so i wouldnt worry about it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It has a big effect on males, as their hormones are relatively constant and so affect them throughout the year, although this can be exaggerated in the breeding season, both directly by their own hormones and indirectly by behavioural/scent changes of other cats.
    Female hormones are cyclical during te breedoing season (spring to autumn) so it just maintains them in permanant out-of-oestrus (heat/season) mode, rather than particularly changing their behaviour per se.
    Age is more likely to calm an anoestrus (non-heat/season) female than neutering but living with a female feline in oestrus tends not to be a restful experience, for the owner or the cat, particularly if it's a member of a noisy breed :D
  • Options
    LippincoteLippincote Posts: 7,132
    Forum Member
    I agree that 'calming down' is mainly age related, but neutering does have an effect too (having seen a few late-neutered animals change considerably afterwards).

Maiseymoo you should not leave your female cats till 7 months, they could start calling and get pregnant by that time. You need to neuter them at 5 months to ensure they do not get pregnant.

OP you don't have to wait till she's 6 months, you could (if you wanted to) have her done next week. I had a female who started calling at 6 months, never again.