iPad.. Someone stop me..

2»

Comments

• GetFrodoGetFrodo Posts: 1,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone mentioned printing, that should come with the OS upgrade (November I think).

And ignore all the 'it's just a big iPhone/touch' dissenters - they are probably sat in front of 14" TVs saying "it does everything a 42" screen does...".

I have already got one, but had I not, at this stage I would consider waiting for the next version to come out... that would be the theory but I'm not very good at waiting...

What are the differences likely to be?
    - higher resolution (nice but the current iPad looks pretty fine already)
    - faster processor/more memory (again nice but I've never noticed anything but quick smooth responses and it has always seemed to have enough memory)
    - camera (if you see yourself video-chatting then this would be a major reason for waiting).

Or just buy it anyway and hope for decent resale values (maybe dump it a month or so before the new one is announced to beat the rush).
  • iainiain Posts: 63,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i guess it depends where you're going to use it.

the iPad might be too big to carry around with you everywhere you go compared to a phone, but if its mainly going to be used in the house, then arguably it hits a bit of a sweet spot between a phone and a laptop.

of course, whether or not people want to spend that much money just to hit that particular sweet spot is another thing.

Iain
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iain wrote: »
    i guess it depends where you're going to use it.

the iPad might be too big to carry around with you everywhere you go compared to a phone, but if its mainly going to be used in the house, then arguably it hits a bit of a sweet spot between a phone and a laptop.

of course, whether or not people want to spend that much money just to hit that particular sweet spot is another thing.

Iain

I've found that it's just the right size to fit into my handbag which means I use it five days a week whilst commuting
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Voynich wrote: »
    I think mifi is better.The ipad is cheaper too when it only needs wifi. 3 do one that's 5gig for £15. And you have the advantage of connecting your ipod and laptop too.

I was thinking of getting that for travel. I like the idea of being able to connect the ipod to it.
  • DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So are Apple waiting until everyone gets an iPad for Christmas then announce the iPad 2 for January/February time? And people say that Bill Gates is evil? Pah.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DarthFader wrote: »
    So are Apple waiting until everyone gets an iPad for Christmas then announce the iPad 2 for January/February time? And people say that Bill Gates is evil? Pah.

From what I have read the new ipad will be the GSM / GSP one only as it like the iphone is getting the ability to work with non GSM networks.

OK so it looks like it will have a camera built in for video conferencing as well but unless you need that why wait till then as most likely it will be an adition to the range rather than a new range so will just be a dearer option.
  • dadioflexdadioflex Posts: 1,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only thing I'd suggest is - do you really need the 64GB version? I got a 16GB one about a month ago and I love it, but I don't use it for music at all. I mainly use it for reading, surfing and games, in that order. Obviously if you're going to stuff it with music or movies then you'll need the extra storage.
  • dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    It's worth getting one for vlc player to play divx's alone.
  • SoundburstSoundburst Posts: 13,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DarthFader wrote: »

Erm. . .iPad's released at minimum of one every year.

There's already about 3 Samsung tablets out aren't there?

Probably pounding them out at a rate of 6 new models per month from here on in.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    You never know- someone might get you one for Christmas and then it would be really annoying if you had already got it for yourself? I always find if I want something just before Xmas I wait til after just in case and I still don't have it then it's all good- in this case you'll be in a win win situation: either a loved one will buy 1 for you- have you seen the hilarious episode of 'Modern Family' centred around the iPad Birthday? or you can get yourself the upgrade in Jan! ;)
  • dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    Soundburst wrote: »
    Erm. . .iPad's released at minimum of one every year.

There's already about 3 Samsung tablets out aren't there?

Probably pounding them out at a rate of 6 new models per month from here on in.

How do you know this? There's only ever been one launch.
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's coming alright - cases have holes for the cameras and slots for either a USB port or a card reader... http://www.rethink-wireless.com/2010/12/10/ipad-2-component-supplier-confirms-2-cameras.htm
  • DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dosanjh1 wrote: »
    How do you know this? There's only ever been one launch.

I am glad you are saying what I saw thinking but thought it must be me going mad!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    If you do get one just note the software your desktop computer will need, on a Mac it's 10.5 or later.not sure about windows
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    psionic wrote: »
    It's coming alright - cases have holes for the cameras and slots for either a USB port or a card reader... http://www.rethink-wireless.com/2010/12/10/ipad-2-component-supplier-confirms-2-cameras.htm

OK usb port or card reader I can see - but who the hell wants a camera that size
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    welwynrose wrote: »
    OK usb port or card reader I can see - but who the hell wants a camera that size

But I guess Apple are trying to push facetime, so the camera on the front (not the back) is more important for that. I never use Facetime anyway on my phone, neither have I bothered with video calls on previous phones which had the ability years ago. I see it more as a gimmick then a useful feature. But I guess it could be useful for the deaf with sign language etc. providing they are in WiFi range. The iPad 2 will need much more then a camera and a card reader for me to consider upgrading. TBH I'm quite happy with the current iPad which I mainly use for internet, apps, reading and videos (in roughly that order).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    psionic wrote: »
    But I guess Apple are trying to push facetime, so the camera on the front (not the back) is more important for that. I never use Facetime anyway on my phone, neither have I bothered with video calls on previous phones which had the ability years ago. I see it more as a gimmick then a useful feature. But I guess it could be useful for the deaf with sign language etc. providing they are in WiFi range. The iPad 2 will need much more then a camera and a card reader for me to consider upgrading. TBH I'm quite happy with the current iPad which I mainly use for internet, apps, reading and videos (in roughly that order).

so am I - it's been in constant use since it was bought for me - I use it mainly for videos, reading (whilst commuting) internet and apps
  • jjesso123jjesso123 Posts: 5,944
    Forum Member
    I would consider waiting for the playbook
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the new one will have a better screen, more powerful, maybe a thinner and lighter, maybe a 7 inch model?
  • pumazoomapumazooma Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thinner, lighter, longer lasting battery and better screen res are a given. I can't see a smaller version coming though.