Options

Why corrie will always be no.1 soap

Robbedin73Robbedin73 Posts: 7,859
Forum Member
Apart from mid 80s when Eastenders was at its height
And had the highest ever soap audience on Xmas day 86
(could be wrong but think that's right ) anyway it's been no.1
More less since and watching all 3 last night it's easy to see why
It's story lines are funny ,though sad it's done with humour at same time take Hayley's laughing at Roy's driving
And you think she going to be in pain but isnt
Also Stella looks like she going to catch Eva but doesn't till later

Compare that to the other two and its all vett serious stuff
Tho watching emmer dale is like watching alf widershen pet
Minus about 20 million plus brillant story lines)and EE is well EE

Comments

• Options
    Vicks-LouiseVicks-Louise Posts: 1,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Emmerdale has knocked corrie out of the water lately. Especially when you look at the Karl/Cameron reveals running pretty much side by side - Emmerdale knocked it out the pond that week and the following week
  • Options
    Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why Corrie will always be number 1? but that's not true because in the past it wasn't that was Eastenders time.
  • Options
    GlendarrochGlendarroch Posts: 20,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it probably will be, but not necessarily because it's the better programme. It's a cultural institution, which many people watch out of habit IMO, and have a fondness for because they've grown up with it.

It can be very good, but it can also be terrible at times. It has some extremely good actors, but a lot who are awful, and whose characters are very two dimensional. Personally, I think a lot of the humour is poor, and I don't like it's tendency to have characters who are only brought in to be comic relief - they always seem to fall flat (the dreadful Mary being a good example). That said, there are some extremely good or likeable characters, played by decent actors - I'm thinking notably of Kylie, Peter, Carla, Stella, Roy, Hayley and Sylvia - these are believable or interesting characters, who are well acted and its easy to take an interest in them.

It does have a warmth about it that the other two lack. Everything looks a lot more colourful which might be the reason for that. However, I also think it's very old fashioned and quite cliched.

Why the dislike of Geordies by the way OP? Emmerdale also has a Lancastrian (Cain),;Moira, who's Glaswegian -although presumably the character is not meant to be from Glasgow itself, given that she has a farming background:D; Rhona's from Essex I think, Laurel is Kentish, whilst Declan, Bernice, Cameron and Dom are all from the south of England too. Why should there not be some Geordies? People do move around and live in different parts of the country from where they grew up!
  • Options
    DODS11DODS11 Posts: 2,026
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Longevity I suppose.

It's been tradition in many families since the 60's. Grandparents/Parents/Children watch Corrie and as they grow older they carry on doing so.

There's also the fact that characters stay much longer. Even the awful ones.We see their ups and downs for decades of our lives - whereas with EastEnders or Hollyoaks, they're quite frequently replaced/recycled or leave on their own accord with notable exceptions (Ian, Dot etc.)

Corrie will always be number 1, even if they happen to have a spell of awful storylines, hateful characters, poor direction etc. because it spans generations and decades and that's harder to break away from.
  • Options
    KeibroKeibro Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corrie is number 1 in the ratings maybe. That doesn't mean it's number 1 in terms of storylines, characters.

EastEnders was number 1 for years, so things can change.
  • Options
    QueenAmyQueenAmy Posts: 3,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Number 1? It WAS Number 1 earlier this year, but since June/ July it's probably gone right down to Number 3 - Proves how CRAP! Stuart Blackburn is
    In my opinion Emmerdale has been the best soap for donkey years and EastEnders is slowly getting there
    I stopped watching Hollyoaks, so....
  • Options
    thejoyof_patthejoyof_pat Posts: 30,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing is certain in life, so fans of the other soaps don't get comfortable with your position but EastEnders is preparing to fight! We'll have our Rocky moment "It's the eye of the tiger it's the thrill of the fight...." sing it with me :D Whose with me! FREEDOMMMMM
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing is certain in life, so fans of the other soaps don't get comfortable with your position but EastEnders is preparing to fight! We'll have our Rocky moment "It's the eye of the tiger it's the thrill of the fight...." sing it with me :D Whose with me! FREEDOMMMMM

Away n bile yer heid. That'll be Emmerdale. I can see the headlines of next week's Sunday Post 'Emmerdale in Scotland's Soap Top Spot, Plans to Conquer Rest of UK by 2014':p:p:p
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to enjoy it but I find it so dull and old fashioned.

As bad a state as Eastenders is in at the moment, it doesn't bore me half as much as Corrie. Stopped watching now that the Karl plot has ended.
  • Options
    xeoxeo Posts: 6,429
    Forum Member
    There's something about Corrie that keeps me entertained even when there's nothing really going on. I think it's the great character interaction and lightheartedness that you don't really get with the other soaps (EastEnders especially), it's just the little things like the gossipy chats in the factory for example that are fun to watch.
  • Options
    D.DotAD.DotA Posts: 2,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It comes down to people's personal opinions really. I think Hollyoaks is number 1 soap.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    Emmerdale has knocked corrie out of the water lately. Especially when you look at the Karl/Cameron reveals running pretty much side by side - Emmerdale knocked it out the pond that week and the following week

agree :-)
  • Options
    Sisney_HunterSisney_Hunter Posts: 193
    Forum Member
    It's familiar and has a world wide following. The other soaps all put together in reality world wide have about a tenth the viewership Corrie does.
  • Options
    HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With the grim reaper in charge I don't have much hope, quality wise Corrie has dipped majorly since May, David/Kylie stuff and maybe the Hayley plot are the only thing that is mildly interesting.
  • Options
    RiverMRiverM Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    corrie is definitely number one soap, it was the first and hopefully will be the last

just get rid of the moron in charge right now, and top class
  • Options
    DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 110,033
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The media are very soft on it because of how long it has been on the go.

This allows them to get away with a lot
  • Options
    Forum Member

Not in the ratings it hasn't and it and EE will probably win the awards again which may tell you something. But
    Think it will be a case of better devil you know
  • Options
    David the WavidDavid the Wavid Posts: 2,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robbedin73 wrote: »
    Apart from mid 80s when Eastenders was at its height
    And had the highest ever soap audience on Xmas day 86

A BBC myth that never seems to die.

The only year where EastEnders's average was ahead of Coronation Street's was 2001.
  • Options
    Corrie2010Corrie2010 Posts: 1,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ofcourse its number one
  • Options
    big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    Corrie will always have a certain edge due to the longevity and familiarity of its cast, which in a soap is key. There are multiple generations of long running recognisable characters ready and waiting to step in their seniors shoes as they elevate to the next era of their lives. And thats on top of the big characters of the moment who aren't strictly of 'classic' status such as Kylie, Tina, Carla and formerly Becky; the class of character EE are hugely reliant on at this stage. The most dramatic story ever told can't replicate that kind of magic.

Having said that I've enjoyed Emmerdale the most this year. And EE I did used to really enjoy and I want it to be better. It is however in a virtually irreversible tragic position that it has by a long way got the least amount of long-running 'A characters', though so little of note has happened this year it's hard to tell who is a major character and who is a bit player. :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    In the all time UK tv audiences (2005) only 3 soaps make it
    And you can be sure it hasn't been matched since then

Anyway here they are with plots as well

1 EE.
    Den Angie Xmas day 86 /30.15
    2 corrie
    Alan Bradley hit by tram /26.9
    3 EE
    Pat runs down child Xmas day 92 /24.9

These are the only soaps in the all
    Time. Top 20 tv programmes

Be interested to see latest updates which I assume are nowhere
    Near that seeing those above were when we only had 3 choices
  • Options
    ThamwetThamwet Posts: 2,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Overall, I think yes. Like any soap, Corrie will have it's highs and lows, but overall it's the oldest and best soap we've got. It's currently under the stewardship of a certain Mr. Blackburn, who's not impressing fans too well right now, but even if his era does turn out to be horrendous, Corrie will keep trundling along until it hits gold again.
  • Options
    Green ThingGreen Thing Posts: 1,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the competion is hardly stiff
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the competion is hardly stiff

Have to disagree with you there. Emmerdale is on the up and up at the moment, and has an extremely good cast with some interesting stories running just now. I want to know how the Cameron thing is going to play out. I want to know what happens with Amy and little Kyle. I want to know if Moira can keep her farm or not, and if Jimmy and Nicola can overcome their marital problems. I care about the characters involved in these stories. I dip in and out of Corrie, but there's nothing that grabs me about it. Even the Hayley story, well acted and touching though it will be, comes across as just too depressing.
  • Options
    Last RequestLast Request Posts: 2,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thamwet wrote: »
    Overall, I think yes. Like any soap, Corrie will have it's highs and lows, but overall it's the oldest and best soap we've got. It's currently under the stewardship of a certain Mr. Blackburn, who's not impressing fans too well right now, but even if his era does turn out to be horrendous, Corrie will keep trundling along until it hits gold again.

Stop nitpicking.he's doing good job so far.

Corrie will always be the number one soap. There isn't any competition for it at the moment from other soaps. its just too easy for them.