Options

Doctors Discussion Thread (Part 6)

Comments

• Options
    StykerStyker Posts: 49,869
    Forum Member
    seejay63 wrote: »
    Me too. She must throw her money in the bin if she never has any. Or are the BBC trying to tell us all how badly paid nurses are? We are a family of 5 and have managed on about the same amount of money as Ayesha has, and we aren't starving.

She might have debts. A lot of people do and especially when they are young.
  • Options
    TramboneTrambone Posts: 1,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ayesha has no redeeming qualities whatsoever. She is a grade A bitch with chips the size of large trees on both shoulders. I assumed that the awful Mandah's replacement would be an improvement. I was so wrong.
    Meanwhile I reckon that M.Smiley will bring the organisation to its knees by some colossal act of betrayal and that Tembe will be murdered as a result of again sticking her nose into something.
  • Options
    Bobby'sgirlBobby'sgirl Posts: 7,389
    Forum Member
    I know Zara gets a bit OTT at times but I think she was trying with Alesha and sister today. Yes she got it a bit wrong but at least she tried and the bitch that is Alesha bit her head off and anything she could get her foul mouth around. If only Alesha could see that people do care and accept some of the help offered it might make both their lives easier for awhile. I like Zara and feel that she is more than often misunderstood when she gets a tad carried away with her offers of help. There is quite a divide between them and Alesha doesn't like it and can not bury the hatchet unless it is someone's head when they offer help. In the end she will end up pushing people away and then she will truly be alone. To be fair I want it to happen so she is shaken a bit and then have to bit her tongue and apologise to all around her.
  • Options
    princesstechprincesstech Posts: 214
    Forum Member
    I agree that the Ayesha storyline is ridiculous. When I had my son (now 26) I was on benefits and despite having to account for every penny he always had clothes and good food. Just as a side note he was always losing his gloves so I learned to knit so I could always replace them haha.
    I am also pretty sure that when Ayesha moved to the mill she got a promotion so that means more money than she previously had. She is also not going out every night drinking and clubbing as she previously was so surely that money is now available to her. A quick google showed me that a practice nurse can expect £25-£40 an hour in the Birmingham area. Even if she is working reduced hours she would get working family tax credits and other benefits and seeing as she comes from a deprived area and isn't backwards in coming forwards, there is no way she wouldn't know about and claim everything she was entitled to. Remember how forceful she was about getting accommodation through social services?
  • Options
    seejay63seejay63 Posts: 8,800
    Forum Member
    A quick google showed me that a practice nurse can expect £25-£40 an hour in the Birmingham area.

She won't be on an hourly rate, that would be for agency nurses. She would be on the NHS bands. Practice nurses are on band 6, which is a minimum of £25,786 a year, easily enough to live on.
  • Options
    4smiffy4smiffy Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree the social worker would still be involved in this case. The child would be subject to a child protection plan and as such there would be criteria that must be met. A core group would be meeting monthly to review the plan. Ayesha would be part of that core group. The social worker and the health visitor would be required to do regular home visits to check up on the child.

Ayesha would be paid a band 6, as others have said, so shouldn't be struggling like she is.

I'm sorry the BBC are so lax in their research as this does detract from the enjoyment of this programme.
  • Options
    princesstechprincesstech Posts: 214
    Forum Member
    I stand corrected Seejay. But yes nearly £26k minimum, and I assume the Mill is quite a well to do practice unlike her previous one. She has a knackered old car so her money isn't going on that. Mandy and Cherry both seemed to have a good standard of living so I really can't see why Ayesha has no money.

Stupid storyline poorly researched.
  • Options
    justatechjustatech Posts: 976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As I've said right from the start the whole storyline is based on making Ayesha look bad because she doesn't come from a middle class background. There's no consideration of the fact that she's spent three years at university so must have been in the education system until the age of eighteen of her own free will. So clearly a bright girl.

She will have spent the university years in the company of middle class students and will have picked up many of their ideas and expectations. To try to make her appear incompetent and unable to manage one child is ridiculous. She appeared completely at home caring for Ayesha before the split with her mother.

This is just normal BBC ignorance of the real working classes that's the problem. Its about time they recognised that there is a huge difference between the pram faces who leave school at 16 and the bright girls who go to university from a working class background. And they also need to realise that just because you come from a working class background and live in social housing you are not automatically incompetent and socially inadequate.

And there is absolutely no reason for her to be driving around in a banger. The NHS car lease scheme would give her a new car at preferential rates and much cheaper than buying independently. And under such a scheme she would only have to find the money for petrol. Everything else would be included.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Franc aside, who obviously is a wrong un, I think regualar posters are yet again laying into a new character without being fair or stepping back and considering all key things.

Before I make my main points, it was in the spoilers in advance that Ayesha would ruffle feathers, get people's backs up but a lot of the characters have done that.

While I find the Ayesha/Sierra storyline boring, I'm not surprised she is so down. I mean she has a full time job and has to look after her younger sister afterwards with virtually not time to herself with no one else supporting her/helping her out. Who wouldn't be down in that situation?

Yes I think Zara was trying to help Ayesha but it did come across to an extent that Zara was either rubbing it in or her telling Ayesha what she can afford to do but what Ayesha can't afford to do and that was just not what Ayesha needed to hear really.

Ayesha probably realises that Zara was trying to help as well but is generally just fed up and again, who can blame her? I wonder how they are going to wrap this particular storyline up? In reality, a stupid cow like Bren wouldn't be quick to sort herself out if ever so I can't see how they are going to make things better for Ayesha on this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I thought the episodes this week were not too bad including the religious cult type story line.

The girl who played Tara (the one who died) looked a lot like Charlie Clemmow who plays Immie. She even sounded like her but they don't share the same surname so I doubt they are sisters but maybe related? Cousins?

I thought the mum who had the A hole gangster stalking her was pretty stupid. Stupid for getting with him in the first place and stupid for not going to the Police to gim him off her back and most stupid havig a go at her son for what the gangster did! It was her fault in part for getting with such a possesive wrong un in the first place! I bet he doesn't practise what he expects and only sticks to one partner either hey?! >:(

Well done to Rob yet again for taking down the local gits there!
    What a lovely sound guy Jimmi is too. He gave decent advice to Heston about trying to become a Coucillor, it will take up most of his time for sure and Heston doesn't need it but I will be interested in this storyline for sure.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    On Franc, well it looks like Howard was right all along about him. I think he is a plant for that Gary Lucas bloke, they are trying to take The Mill down I sense.

I find it very rich that Emma doesn't like Howard peering into her love life but she so did when he was with that Gina!

On Howard saying The Mill is full, why doesn't he take on more GP's then and replace Kevin and Chris properly?
  • Options
    dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,281
    Forum Member
    Loved Fridays episode. The story with the young lad and the mother was well written I thought. Rob is always there when it's needed though :D

Poor old Heston :D

One of those gay guys (Not the one Hurt) was very sexy indeed. I have a thing for the Manchester accent also (Not the Corrie version though ;-) )

So what is Franc up too :o Nice cliffhanger there. I really wasn't expecting that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dan2008 wrote: »
    Loved Fridays episode. The story with the young lad and the mother was well written I thought. Rob is always there when it's needed though :D

Poor old Heston :D

One of those gay guys (Not the one Hurt) was very sexy indeed. I have a thing for the Manchester accent also (Not the Corrie version though ;-) )

So what is Franc up too :o Nice cliffhanger there. I really wasn't expecting that.

I think he is defeinetely a plant for that Gary Lucas, trying to get revenge at The Mill for scuppering his plans to build a new Doctor surgery when Al sabotaged it somehow.

The anomaly on this though is that Daniel was the one who arranged for Franc to come in and help at The Mill while he and Zara were on holiday and gave the impression he knew Franc before but did he? Daniel didn't know that he wasn't qualified to practice cosmetic surgery so what's going on? Continuity problems with the programme or did Daniel just exagerate how much he really knew about this Franc?

I wouldn't be surprised if Franc is not even French. When he first arrived, his accent dropped a number of times into a British accent but I put that down to the acting (!) but maybe he's an imposter in general?

If he really is French and has a daughter there, then it could be that he's in financial trouble and is doing all of this because that Gary Lucas will pay him a lot to damage The Mill's credibility.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yesterdays episode was fantastic.

The Storyline with Heston and the Guy that was involved in a terrorist attack was fantastic. The storytelling was top notch and the acting brilliant.
    It's so good to see Heston not given up. Even when he is gripped up he still doesn't walk away.

Thought the storyline with the 'Gay Bashing' was handled well. Howard does try his best but makes matters worse :D

Niamh...:o 9/10:)

Another good episode today,

The daily storyline was a joy to watch and I thought the Little Girl that had the illness acted very well. One of the best child actors I've seen for ages. Her Adopted Mother played very well too (Was she from London's Burning?)

Zara: I didn't know we had 26 Gays in the Village :D

Niamh's job is saved but why does Al look like he isn't happy?

Franc up to no good again tomorrow then. 8/10:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Styker wrote: »
    I think he is defeinetely a plant for that Gary Lucas, trying to get revenge at The Mill for scuppering his plans to build a new Doctor surgery when Al sabotaged it somehow.

The anomaly on this though is that Daniel was the one who arranged for Franc to come in and help at The Mill while he and Zara were on holiday and gave the impression he knew Franc before but did he? Daniel didn't know that he wasn't qualified to practice cosmetic surgery so what's going on? Continuity problems with the programme or did Daniel just exagerate how much he really knew about this Franc?

I wouldn't be surprised if Franc is not even French. When he first arrived, his accent dropped a number of times into a British accent but I put that down to the acting (!) but maybe he's an imposter in general?

If he really is French and has a daughter there, then it could be that he's in financial trouble and is doing all of this because that Gary Lucas will pay him a lot to damage The Mill's credibility.
    I didn't trust him to start with but the writers seemed to make out he was ok. I guess it's now clear he is part of Gary Lucas. Yeah I also think he's British.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thought the storyline with the 'Gay Bashing' was handled well. Howard does try his best but makes matters worse :D

Cue the rent a mob who turn up shouting their rubbish without finding out the facts first. Jimmi was wrong when he said they should just sign the couple up anyway to prove that they aren't homophobic. If the lists are full then that's that. They weren't turned away because of their sexuality so don't pander.

I was puzzled by Al's reaction. He didn't want Niamh to resign at first, but now her job is safe he doesn't want her to stay? Very odd.
  • Options
    The_Time_BeingThe_Time_Being Posts: 434
    Forum Member

/QUOTE]

I think he believes Niamh shouldn't have a patient-facing future - he thinks this is the wrong decision to manage in-house
  • Options
    Forum Member
    RE Monday's episode, yeah Al and Niamh really looked like they had a good time didn't they? - NOT! It was so obvious that it was stupid to go on that holiday with that stupid Niamh freezing situation unresolved hanging over them. Plonker Al insisting upon it!

I didn't quite get what was up with the dad and the son and who was causing the injuries. I started to lose interest a bit on that one.

I wasn't impressed with Howard suspecting Jimmi of leaking information. Again if they are doing so well then they should take on more GP's and or replace previous ones. Though I'l love it if the University does "drop" The Mill. I'd rather see that dingy campus place go still. Let them expand The Mill and or start another second practice but without those students and their tedious storylines.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The woman whose mum died in the car crash appeared in Doctors a few months ago as a single mum who was abusing her daughter.
  • Options
    JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just hate Al so much. Horrible selfish man.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does nobody grieve in soaps anymore?
  • Options
    IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JamieHT wrote: »
    I just hate Al so much. Horrible selfish man.

If anyone is being selfish here, it isn't Al.

Niamh's the one thinking about her job first and foremost, whereas Al is focused on the ethics.

I didn't take to today's SOTD (again).
  • Options
    Mrs SprattMrs Spratt Posts: 4,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kat1985 wrote: »
    Does nobody grieve in soaps anymore?

It's always a bit accelerated but I have to say they both seemed to shake off the shock of their parents' deaths in unexpected circumstances very rapidly!
  • Options
    Mrs SprattMrs Spratt Posts: 4,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Re Al and Niamh - maybe she was drawn to him because of his excessive confidence - he was the only person in the meeting with the partners who said he'd never suffered from doubts or uncertainty. And maybe he liked her because she was no challenge to his superiority complex.

Niamh was quite unlucky as she only got caught up in the emergency because she called round with something they'd left at the surgery, didn't she? It wasn't as if she'd been called out to deal with it. I think realistically the partners would have to offer her retraining and support before they could sack her, certainly after one mistake. There's been no indication that anything she did affected the outcome of the case and there's not yet been a complaint.

I've just been in hospital with pneumonia because my GP spotted there was something not quite right, the woman in the bed next to mine had leukemia and had been going to her GP for 6 months with various symptoms which he'd kept saying were her age and not to worry. She'd been admitted as an emergency with pneumonia but they'd discovered she had growths in her chest which they were going to keep her in to investigate. In real life, that's the sort of GP negligence that kills people more often than not - just not listening.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If anyone is being selfish here, it isn't Al.

Niamh's the one thinking about her job first and foremost, whereas Al is focused on the ethics.

Thinking about it I agree with you. A couple of days of extra training isn't going to give her the confidence she's lacked in the previous 7 years of training.
    Mrs Spratt wrote: »
    Niamh was quite unlucky as she only got caught up in the emergency because she called round with something they'd left at the surgery, didn't she? It wasn't as if she'd been called out to deal with it.

No she hadn't been called out to the house, but her training should have automatically kicked in and she should have done whatever she could to help, instead of standing there like a rabbit caught in headlights. She can't cope in an emergency, and that makes her a liability and not cut out to be a doctor.
This discussion has been closed.