Options

Great British Sewing Bee 8pm BBC2

Comments

• Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good effort from Lorna.
    Don't like Matts with no lining but not an easy task.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neil's is really good. Don't like the style but it's very well made.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Neil will win jacket and Matt and Paul to go home
  • Options
    brendans babebrendans babe Posts: 34,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked Laura's the best even if it was lopsided!
  • Options
    diyqueendiyqueen Posts: 2,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I alone in thinking that the wet suit challenge was ridiculous
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked Laura's the best even if it was lopsided!

I loved it too, would love to own it
  • Options
    CherrybomberCherrybomber Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    I think Neil will win jacket and Matt and Paul to go home

Think you're right
  • Options
    brendans babebrendans babe Posts: 34,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not Deborah - blast it, i really liked her!
  • Options
    LolaSveltLolaSvelt Posts: 2,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deborah, seriously? Another poor decision.
  • Options
    CherrybomberCherrybomber Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt stays at Deborah's expense.
    It was really close.

I don't beleive Neil that he thought he was going. He's so smug.
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's a 2 horse race now. I think it's been those 2 from week one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not Deborah - blast it, i really liked her!

Me too but that leather jacket looked terrible from the back
  • Options
    Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    Based on the whole series so far I think it will be between Neil and Lorna to win. Hope it's Neil - there's just something about Lorna that I don't like even thought she's a very good sewer.

But then we don't know what they'll be doing next week and how they'll cope with it.
  • Options
    SweetiecatSweetiecat Posts: 1,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was really close.

After his performance on the first day there was a real chance that he could have been going home. If the others had managed to pull off perfect jackets he could well have been for the chop.

Matt and Deborah both won a challenge on the first day so it was neck and neck between the two if them and Matt's jacket was the better of the two even though they both had faults. Deborah's was hideous at the back.

Paul was always going to be leaving tonight no matter what they weeper saying in their deliberations. His first two garments were just not good enough and it was always going to be impossible to pull it back with his jacket.

I'd like Neil to win as he's been consistently the best for me. Lorna and Neil are both pretty smug looking but I of the two I prefer Neil. I think Matt is lacking enough experience and creativity to win it.

Lorna's wetsuit dress was absolutely hideous in my opinion but then the whole challenge was pretty stupid really.
  • Options
    4smiffy4smiffy Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Claudia, she's witty and bonkers. I want Neil to win I don't think he's smug. I can't take to Lorna.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,340
    Forum Member
    Disappointed that Deborah went home as her designs always seemed a little more imaginative and ambitious than some of the others. Still can't warm to Neil out of all the contestants. His seems to be stuck on making dresses from Laura Ashley that women would wear to a christening circa 1992. Even when presented with a wetsuit he still creates the same old kind of thing.
  • Options
    RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another 2 people leaving tonight - why? They seem in such a hurry to get this show finished!
    That's what I thought, it's only been on a few weeks.

Yeah. I don't know why they're in such a rush. It's been getting good ratings too. 2.7m last week I think, which is great for quite a niche programme on BBC2.
    FortyTwo25 wrote: »
    I like this show but cannot stand the presenter. I think she's awful

You mean Claudia? She not right for this just as she isn't right for Strictly Come Dancing. She knows nothing about sewing or dancing so she just acts the fool and gurns all the time and makes daft remarks to cover up.
    4smiffy wrote: »
    I love Claudia, she's witty and bonkers. I want Neil to win I don't think he's smug. I can't take to Lorna.

I agree 4smiffy. I love Claudia on this and on Strictly. She's there to represent those who aren't good at sewing or dancing amd empathise with the contestants and gee them up. She seems to be Marmite to people, i'm in the love campl :)

Not surprised at Neil and Lorna being in the final, that was pretty much a foregone conclusion from week 1. Shame about Deborah, I wished she had stayed over Matt.
  • Options
    4smiffy4smiffy Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I think Deborah should have stayed.
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    It was really close.

It was really close, but Matt edged it with the jacket, much as I like Deborah, her's did look dreadful at the back.

I'm guessing it's between Lorna and Neil, but as with Bake Off last year, anything could happen...

No idea why they're rushing through this so quickly :( Plus one elimination would have meant Ryan would have survived last week and maybe have made the final :(
  • Options
    JayinthegardenJayinthegarden Posts: 1,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love Claudia
    Hope Neil wins as he has been the most consistent and there's something about Lorna that I can't take to .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RoseAnne wrote: »
    Yeah. I don't know why they're in such a rush. It's been getting good ratings too. 2.7m last week I think, which is great for quite a niche programme on BBC2.

I agree 4smiffy. I love Claudia on this and on Strictly. She's there to represent those who aren't good at sewing or dancing amd empathise with the contestants and gee them up. She seems to be Marmite to people, i'm in the love campl :)
    Not surprised at Neil and Lorna being in the final, that was pretty much a foregone conclusion from week 1. Shame about Deborah, I wished she had stayed over Matt.

What on earth are you on about:confused: "she's there to represent those who aren't good at sewing". ..... It's already been said on here that these people are chosen because they are experienced sewers and are rigorously interviewed by phone and in person to ensure they know enough about sewing so that the programme flows nicely and nobody is left behind. These are NOT beginners who need a bit of geeing up.
  • Options
    J.RJ.R Posts: 2,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's another very good review of the book, includes the chance to win a copy.
    http://www.astitchingodyssey.com/

I am another who was sorry to see Deborah go.

Not keen on Neil but if he wins it will be deserved. Of the two I prefer Lorna - slightly - I will also be happy to see her win. They are the two that over the series have been most consistent.

I am another who loves Claudia - whatever programme she is on. She is bonkers and fun and all the interviews with previous contestants have said they like her, she makes them laugh and empathises when they get frazzled, helps them relax. We only see a few minutes of her time with them.
  • Options
    SuzeSuze Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What on earth are you on about:confused: "she's there to represent those who aren't good at sewing". ..... It's already been said on here that these people are chosen because they are experienced sewers and are rigorously interviewed by phone and in person to ensure they know enough about sewing so that the programme flows nicely and nobody is left behind. These are NOT beginners who need a bit of geeing up.

Well, I probably shouldn't answer for someone else -- BUT I think the RoseAnne meant she (Claudia) represents the audience -- many of whom aren't good at sewing.

I'm another who loves Claudia -- she makes me laugh and from everything I've read from past contestants they enjoy having her around.
  • Options
    Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    It's not that they're beginners and need geeing up. They are experienced sewers. But even experienced sewers get stressed when under pressure to produce something good to the clock. Claudia relieves their stress.

Neil is an engineer and is very organised and able to get a logical plan worked out quickly. He's also skilled on the sewing machine and in fitting a garment to his model. It's the sewing they're being judged on in the main so it doesn't matter if he produces "Laura Ashley" dresses. The only task where they need a bit of imagination is the alteration challenges.

I think Lorna irritates me because she tries to pretend that, although she knows what she's doing most of the time, she pretends she's having difficulty, but if she is having difficulty she tries to hide it rather than admit it. She also explains what she's doing and why she's doing it and what would happen if she didn't do it, in a sort of superior school marmish way. I always got a bit irritated with colleagues who also did it when I was a school marm.
  • Options
    TiggywinkTiggywink Posts: 3,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FortyTwo25 wrote: »
    I like this show but cannot stand the presenter. I think she's awful

Hear hear, but I fear we two are alone.