Nice all day pub/food in Ipswich/Felixtowe

tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I need to visit Ipswich tomorrow and will have a 2 hour appointment. I need to leave my OH somewhere, where he can sit and have coffees and use the wifi and then for me to come and meet him and have some lunch. So it could be somewhere along the London bound a12 too.

The appointment is at an odd time so we will be eating lunch at around 3ish. It also needs to be somewhere, where my OH wont look odd sitting around on his own for 2 hours.

Can someone recommend anywhere nice that preferably serves food all day? I have found some nice pubs on trip advisor but they seem to only do lunchtime food.

Also somewhere with a nice view would be good.

Comments

• tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had Ipswich colleagues who have spoken well of the Alex
    http://www.alexcafebar.co.uk/
    If you have wheels http://jimmysfarm.com/
  • merrybiscuitmerrybiscuit Posts: 648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    have a look along the waterfront /quayside in ipswich. a posh area but really nice seafood places.

the alrx in felixstowe is lovely but expensive and now awful to park near.

ferry boat inn (fbi) in old felixstowe is lovely with a very (2 min) walk to the jetty. you can watch sailing boats come in. there is also the ferry cafe which is a proper tea shop.

or the dock end of felixstowe has the viewing point cafe which is owned by the same person as the alex. lovely. you can watch the port boats from there! there is also felixstowe museuem /langguard fort :)

i grew up in felixstowe and think you'd have better cafes to ponder in there!
  • tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having looked at the map, I think Ive made an error, I think what we need is somewhere to leave him on on the outskirst of east Ipswich and then somewhere to have lunch around 3 onwards, either in Ipswich, or from Ipswich to London along the a12.

So we might end up eating lunch at about 4 or 5ish, better have a big breakfast
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • itsy bitsyitsy bitsy Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I live in Ipswich - can you name a road where you'll be near for your appointment?

Arlington's in the town centre is really nice, all day food and somewhere you can sit for hours with out being obvious but it's not on east side of Ipswich and no views.

The Waterfront has great views, as someone else has said, possibly Isaacs there would be suitable.

The Oyster Reach is an all day food pub - great views of the Orwell - not far from Jimmy's Farm but nearer to Ipswich.

The Royal George pub is open from 11.00 with food from 12.00 onwards - no views but near east side of Ipswich - not far from hospital.

Will keep thinking....
  • turquoiseblueturquoiseblue Posts: 2,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Butt and Oyster is a lovely riverside pub, on the way to Shotley from Ipswich.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    itsy bitsy wrote: »
    I live in Ipswich - can you name a road where you'll be near for your appointment?

Arlington's in the town centre is really nice, all day food and somewhere you can sit for hours with out being obvious but it's not on east side of Ipswich and no views.

The Waterfront has great views, as someone else has said, possibly Isaacs there would be suitable.

The Oyster Reach is an all day food pub - great views of the Orwell - not far from Jimmy's Farm but nearer to Ipswich.

The Royal George pub is open from 11.00 with food from 12.00 onwards - no views but near east side of Ipswich - not far from hospital.

Will keep thinking....

Its off the A1156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Butt and Oyster is a lovely riverside pub, on the way to Shotley from Ipswich.

I have a feeling we have been there before on some other trip, I recall quite a nice pub, I think I had a crab salad. That would be nice but I wouldnt mind trying some where I havent been before.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tealady wrote: »

Wow that Milsoms looks nice, bit posh though maybe, lovely looking food.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The A1156 is Felixstowe Road - it's quite a long road but runs near The Waterfront - and Uni area. definitely recommend somewhere along there - Salthouse Harbour Hotel is wonderful but expensive! The Bistro on the Quay is great. Isaacs is good too. None are riverside pubs as such like Butt and Oyster at Pin Mill though. But they have fantastic views of the marina.

If you want a riverside pub then The Oyster Reach is not that far away.

Let me know if you think any are any good or not.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mmmm those waterfront restaurants look tasty and most of them are all day. Now I have a dilemma about whether to go cosy old pub or snazzy waterfront restaurant.

Where is the parking for that waterfront? Im a bit lazy and like to park near to where we visit.

edit - I take it back, the reviews for that Isaacs speak of a TV and worse, a TV outside. So they are off the list!
  • filly65filly65 Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    The Maybush Inn at Waldringfield is nice, open all day and lovely views over the river
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    filly65 wrote: »
    The Maybush Inn at Waldringfield is nice, open all day and lovely views over the river

I think I might drop him off at the waterfront where he can have a coffee and a walk around for a couple of hours, if we're early enough I could have a coffee too, then when Im finished, he can walk to where I am and we can then go to a pub like that one. I do like a pub.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, The Maybush is lovely and there's a big car park next to it - should be plenty of room tomorrow. Hope you enjoy your visit. :)
  • 4smiffy4smiffy Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I prefer The Ramsholt Arms on the Deben.
  • Jellied EelJellied Eel Posts: 33,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    itsy bitsy wrote: »
    The Royal George pub is open from 11.00 with food from 12.00 onwards - no views but near east side of Ipswich - not far from hospital..

That's my old pub from Northgate days! Exterior doesn't look like it's changed much in the err.. many years since I last visited it. Which was not long after the Malt Kiln opened on the waterfront (formally known as the docks) which has changed a lot! Like becoming Isaacs :p

(the building next to the George used to be the fire brigade didn't it?)
  • bhappyluvbhappyluv Posts: 408
    Forum Member
    filly65 wrote: »

I was going to suggest the Maybush too. It's always been a family favourite.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's my old pub from Northgate days! Exterior doesn't look like it's changed much in the err.. many years since I last visited it. Which was not long after the Malt Kiln opened on the waterfront (formally known as the docks) which has changed a lot! Like becoming Isaacs :p

(the building next to the George used to be the fire brigade didn't it?)

My old school too! The Royal George may look the same outside, but is now a 'Flamin' Grill'. Very popular by all accounts, the car park is always choc a bloc. And yes the fire station was next door. Moved a year or so ago. There's now a whole lot of new houses there. BTW been to Isaacs...never been to the Malt Kiln.