Options

How long to get over an Operation?

Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I had a fairly minor operation nearly six weeks ago and all is well and I've been discharged from the hospital. However I can't seem to get over a terrible tiredness and just feel as if I could sleep all the time. I am not feeling depressed or anything like that and apart from the exhaustion I am perfectly happy. I do have lots of other health problems though like rheumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia.

I just wondered if anyone has experienced this overwhelming tiredness after an op or is it unusual after six weeks?

Comments

• Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That depends on the type of operation but I would consider first to have chat with your doctor over your tiredness who would give you an indication of the after-effects of the operation you had or whether something else is causing it, like any medication you are receiving, some medications possibly for you other health problems can make you feel very drowsy.

The doctor can be the only one who can really answer that for you.
  • Options
    Will_BeeWill_Bee Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deleted
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for your thoughts. I am not on any different medications to the ones I am normally on. With all my health problems I am always tired but this is worse than normal. I know I should really ask my doctor but to be honest I think they get puzzled over my problems & usually just say that I have complex health problems and they don't offer much advice really. I just wondered what a person would normally feel like after six weeks post op. The op was an orthopedic one to replace a joint.
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if you're tired sleep, your body is telling you to seep and will help you recover quicker
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had major surgery a few years ago and the tiredness had worn off after about a fortnight.
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you should have been a phone number to call if you have any questions. Probably better then asking on a forum.
  • Options
    albertdalbertd Posts: 14,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It may be long lasting aftereffects of powerful painkilling drugs which may have been used while you were in hospital, something like Tramadol perhaps.
  • Options
    duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    albertd wrote: »
    It may be long lasting aftereffects of powerful painkilling drugs which may have been used while you were in hospital, something like Tramadol perhaps.

There is no way the effect of Tramadol will last six weeks
    OP you may need a full blood count to check your levels and ensure you are not anaemic
  • Options
    mklassmklass Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After I had a hip replacement operation years ago it took me all of the 3 months that I had off work to get over it all!... some days I felt as fit as a fiddle and then the next day I couldn't get out of bed I was so tired!...... I know my sister who has had a few operations in her time always feels tired for quite a while afterwards, she always puts it down to the anesthetic still being in her system.....

I must say I am quite a sleepy person so whether that makes a difference or not I don't know!, but I always say 'I could sleep for England'.....................
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you to everyone who has posted with their thoughts. I actually take Tramodol for pain every day and do realise that can cause tiredness but I have not been taking any more than I usually do. I have a full blood count every two weeks as I tend to get anaemia at times and also because of some medication that I take. I also have an under active thyroid so I should maybe get that checked soon.
  • Options
    catscradlecatscradle Posts: 258
    Forum Member
    In my experience (chronic bowel problems with associated pain and debilitation) get the email address of your consultant's secretary and send an email describing your symptoms, FAO your consultant. Good luck, this has helped me in the recent past
  • Options
    Sky_GuySky_Guy Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    walk about, keep busy. that helped me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky_Guy wrote: »
    walk about, keep busy. that helped me.

As the op was on my foot, I can't walk about.

I have so many other health problems that I think they may have gone into a bit of a flare up, causing me to be even more tired. I felt much better yesterday though and it was wonderful to be able to do things without feeling so exhausted.
  • Options
    scottlscottl Posts: 1,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a laparotomy (abdominal surgery)
    Told 5 weeks - and was on tramodol for a while (its an opiate remember).

I think sometimes staying at home to recover makes you tired in a way.
  • Options
    Blackjack DavyBlackjack Davy Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a fairly minor operation nearly six weeks ago and all is well and I've been discharged from the hospital. However I can't seem to get over a terrible tiredness and just feel as if I could sleep all the time. I am not feeling depressed or anything like that and apart from the exhaustion I am perfectly happy. I do have lots of other health problems though like rheumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia.

I just wondered if anyone has experienced this overwhelming tiredness after an op or is it unusual after six weeks?

Six weeks for mine. If the pain is gone you're good to go. If you're feeling tired well thats to be expected your stamina has taken a pounding. It'll come back. Sitting around moping won't do anything to bring it back.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    Ive had 2 operations and the tiredness lasted about 2 days if I remember correctly. Then again I always feel sluggish and tired so I'd probably not tell the difference.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As the op was on my foot, I can't walk about.

I have so many other health problems that I think they may have gone into a bit of a flare up, causing me to be even more tired. I felt much better yesterday though and it was wonderful to be able to do things without feeling so exhausted.

When i had part of my bowel removed it took me 3 weeks to get back to some normally, and then they stuck me on chemo, which makes me feel worse.

going by your user name, I can guess your health problem and it may be your health problems which are stopping you feeling better, Goo to the Doctor that is the best idea.
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It can take a long time to recover from surgical procedures and something like real 'flu' can knock you flat for well over a month, pneumonia for a couple of months before you get back to good health.

Talk to your Consultant/nurse team or GP, diet can play a vital role so check into this too.

Good health to the OP.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People are different, while it may take one person a few days to feel better, it may take someone else a month or more to feel better. We are all different.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    People are different, while it may take one person a few days to feel better, it may take someone else a month or more to feel better. We are all different.

Yes, I feel sure you are right there and the fact that I have other problems such as Rheumatoid Arthritis and M.E. won't help.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had a double operation last Friday (27th), gall bladder removed and flexible cystoscopy to check for bladder cancer.

As background, before the op I had a pulmonary embolism and was put on Warfarin for 6 months during which time I was taking 8 Tramadol a day to stop the pain (it didn't all the time so I was given Oramorph to take if needed).

I was in hospital until Sunday lunchtime and was then discharged.

Apart from the four small cuts from the gall bladder removal, I have no pain and feel ready to go back to work, though I can't as I have to take two weeks off (the hospital gave me the sick note for that long). I don't do a manual job though.

I was told that if I drive in the first week after surgery I may not be insured.