Anyone experienced 'sleep terrors' or 'sleep paralysis'?

2»

Comments

• cobaye22cobaye22 Posts: 1,376
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I experienced sleep paralysis on waking often when younger - was conscious but couldn't move a thing. I usually escaped it by concentrating on my toes and trying to wiggle them, once a muscle moved the rest of my body came back. One time nothing worked and I slipped into blackness. Woke up normally some time later. It's not nice.
  • TominxsterTominxster Posts: 1,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to get them all the time. I am very pleased to say that I haven't had one for the last 4 years. i really hope this continues as I have had some awful experiences with it that I wouldn't wish on anyone.
    A psychologist friend told me one that they tend to happen when one is under increasing stress. That would kind of make sense of the timings over the years when I had them.
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've sometimes been in a normal dream, then suddenly seeming to become paralysed, with my eyes closing, in the context of the dream. Struggling to open my eyes, I've done so, to get a glimpse of what I was dreaming before, with my eyes then forcing themselves closed again. When I get them open again, I get a glimpse of my bedroom, before they force themselves shut again, my body still paralysed. When I open then yet again, I'm in my room and the paralysis ends.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to get sleep paralysis when lying on my back, absolutely terrifying. I used to try and slip off the edge of the bed but it very rarely worked.

The feeling when you were drifting back into sleep and couldn't do a thing about it wasn't pleasant at all.
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Once you know what it actually is sleep paralysis can be rather interesting (and it is the explanation for so many 'paranormal' phenomena).

My last experience involved a starved, white, naked corpse skittering across the ceiling and disappearing into the top of the wardrobe. :D
  • NorwoodCemeteryNorwoodCemetery Posts: 1,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...My last experience involved a starved, white, naked corpse skittering across the ceiling and disappearing into the top of the wardrobe. :D
    Christ.

I remember all kinds of simarly surreal episodes. Once, when I was around 7, I was staying over at a neighbour's and sleeping in a room that had two black-and-white posters on the opposite wall.

I dreamed/experienced these posters changing every few seconds, with really odd images - some normal and some really gruesome. Woke up with the usual terror and refused to go back to sleep until the posters were taken down.

I'm hoping this thread doesn't bring on an episode tonight :o
  • lucy777lucy777 Posts: 2,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, I'm really pleased to read that sleep paralysis is so common. I asked my GP about it a while ago & he'd never heard of it. Haven't had it for a while but when I did it was always gruesome - family members strangling me was a common one!
  • lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of these stories sound absolutely frightening!

I've had an occurrence several years ago when I was awake and aware in the middle of the night! Thinking I'd simply dosed awake and I'd just change position to go back to sleep I tried... But found I simply couldn't move!

Then I noticed I could hear breathing. Someone's breathing as though there was someone sleeping in the room with me! But I knew for a fact there was no-one else with me and it wasn't my own breathing!

But I wasn't scared or perturbed... More than anything I was interested in what was happening and just aassumed it was something to do with the fact I was half asleep!
  • balthasarbalthasar Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I was 7 or 8 I had this dream that began turning increasingly unpleasant, as I began to
    wake up I started to hear this cackling laughter and saw a old woman sitting on me, I was petrified.
    This was my only experience of "the Hag" and have no wish to meet her again.
  • pope_tartpope_tart Posts: 3,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haven't had any hypnagogic experiences for years now, but I used to regularly "wake up" to feel somebody climbing into my bed and cuddle me tightly from behind :o

Have also had cats fall on my bed from a great height and seen myself walking around the room :o

very freaky when they happen :o:(
  • rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    I've had sleep paralysis a couple of time, it was terrifying.

I get nightmares a lot but I don't know if they are terrors. I know I have woken up screaming a few times but I don't remember the screaming. It terrified my Dad when he was staying in my spare room.

I wake up from nightmares quite a lot but I rarely remember what happened. Sometimes I don't even remember waking up but the lamp next to my bed will be on when I get up in the morning and that's a sure sign something freaked me out in the night, I always go straight for the lamp.

Since I moved my room around and put my bed in a different place I don't get them as often but it still happens.
  • ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    balthasar wrote: »
    When I was 7 or 8 I had this dream that began turning increasingly unpleasant, as I began to
    wake up I started to hear this cackling laughter and saw a old woman sitting on me, I was petrified.
    This was my only experience of "the Hag" and have no wish to meet her again.

For me, she likes to sit on me, and strangle me. If I wake up naturally, without an alarm, then sleep paralysis tends to occur.

I always use an alarm.