Options

Bauer want to swap CityTalk for City 2 on FM!

Comments

• Options
    richie wildrichie wild Posts: 9,898
    Forum Member
    I heard the 80's show on RC2 this afternoon, and what a great show! Live and tight, fantastic links... and absolutely putting James Grove to shame! Not a Radio City listener, I don't know the "Rossie" heritage, but he has a great voice and a slick presentation. Did he play The Clap Clap Sound under his links ten or so years ago? If so, top guy! I walked upstairs into Radio City Land, back in Birkenhead, and heard it, emailed into him, and got a reply straightaway! Nice :)

Not saying "playing the greatest hits for..." also sounded better. Re-do the jingles and just call it "The Greatest Hits", like it's called on Facebook! The voice tracked links sound stilted and at odds with the link. Seven months on, it's time to move on!

As for a Radio City 2 coming to FM, I'm not enthusiastic. I can get it on FM, but I lose hearing Nick Wright and Sean Goldsmith. I don't tune in for the repetitive sh1t music, I tune in for their interaction.

Cilla Black left us today. How sad that her passing actually got her airtime on The Greatest Hits! They can play Shane Ward but they can't (usually) play Cilla Black. A shocking state of affairs.
  • Options
    Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    I heard the 80's show on RC2 this afternoon, and what a great show! Live and tight, fantastic links... and absolutely putting James Grove to shame! Not a Radio City listener, I don't know the "Rossie" heritage, but he has a great voice and a slick presentation. Did he play The Clap Clap Sound under his links ten or so years ago? If so, top guy! I walked upstairs into Radio City Land, back in Birkenhead, and heard it, emailed into him, and got a reply straightaway! Nice :)

Not saying "playing the greatest hits for..." also sounded better. Re-do the jingles and just call it "The Greatest Hits", like it's called on Facebook! The voice tracked links sound stilted and at odds with the link. Seven months on, it's time to move on!

As for a Radio City 2 coming to FM, I'm not enthusiastic. I can get it on FM, but I lose hearing Nick Wright and Sean Goldsmith. I don't tune in for the repetitive sh1t music, I tune in for their interaction.

Cilla Black left us today. How sad that her passing actually got her airtime on The Greatest Hits! They can play Shane Ward but they can't (usually) play Cilla Black. A shocking state of affairs.

I did actually listen to a bit of this on the way to Macclesfield, actually quite a good show, Rossie used to do a sunday show on Radio City, this more or less made up for it not having it anymore, there was even a phone-in before it it seems.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes Bill, there's always a phone in on a Sunday morning between 11-2.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Before bed last night I tuned down to 105.9 and caught the beginning of Pete Price's show. He sounded awful, it was like listening to AM rebroadcast on FM. I hope that, if City 2 does end up on there, they improve the sound quality.
  • Options
    wavy-davywavy-davy Posts: 7,122
    Forum Member
    Before bed last night I tuned down to 105.9 and caught the beginning of Pete Price's show. He sounded awful, it was like listening to AM rebroadcast on FM. I hope that, if City 2 does end up on there, they improve the sound quality.
    105.9 has sounded awful for months. It sounds like the processor on 1548 am has given up as well so that's now sounding like a bad hospital radio station. Presumably no one from Bauer actually listens to their output.
  • Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does Pete Price actually broadcast on the main Radio City frequency, 96.7?, as Good Morning Britain captioned him as being such, but I thought he only broadcast on CityTalk?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    wavy-davy wrote: »
    105.9 has sounded awful for months. It sounds like the processor on 1548 am has given up as well so that's now sounding like a bad hospital radio station. Presumably no one from Bauer actually listens to their output.

When 1548 was Magic it had a punchiness to the sound, that's all gone. I'm so surprised at Bauer's couldn't care less attitude to the sound. They could have the best station in the world, but if it sounds crap...

I think back to the days of Radio Nova in Dublin in 1982. Not only did Chris Cary want the best station on air, he wanted the best sounding station. He hired people who knew about processing and Radio Nova became famous in the industry as not only the market leader in output, but also in sound. Likewise, when Sunshine flipped to Sunshine 101, they improved their sound... and both of these were pirates!

Contrast that "can do" attitude with the dull, lacklustre sound from Bauer on two of their key three frequencies in Liverpool. They should be ashamed of themselves.
  • Options
    Anthony_RyanAnthony_Ryan Posts: 451
    Forum Member
    When 1548 was Magic it had a punchiness to the sound, that's all gone. I'm so surprised at Bauer's couldn't care less attitude to the sound. They could have the best station in the world, but if it sounds crap...

I think back to the days of Radio Nova in Dublin in 1982. Not only did Chris Cary want the best station on air, he wanted the best sounding station. He hired people who knew about processing and Radio Nova became famous in the industry as not only the market leader in output, but also in sound. Likewise, when Sunshine flipped to Sunshine 101, they improved their sound... and both of these were pirates!

Contrast that "can do" attitude with the dull, lacklustre sound from Bauer on two of their key three frequencies in Liverpool. They should be ashamed of themselves.

If the Independent Broadcasting Authority was still around then I don't think that Bauer would get away with lacklustre sound quality.
  • Options
    kevkev Posts: 21,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the swap goes ahead how long until Radio City Talk ceases transmission?

Bauer end up with 96.7 Radio City 1, 105.9 Radio City 2 and a AM licence which doesn't seem to be in high demand.

Might be able to do a deal with UTV (e.g. TalkSPORT 2) to give that an analogue outlet.

With Absolute now at 80% digital will Bauer keep that going on AM for much longer or even bother considering the likes of Absolute Radio 80s going onto AM?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If the Independent Broadcasting Authority was still around then I don't think that Bauer would get away with lacklustre sound quality.

I cannot understand them. If I was running a station I'd want it to sound as good as it possibly can, get someone in to make the audio sound good.

In the meantime, perhaps Ray can pop into the tower and start by swapping the interconnects with his Kimber cables :D
  • Options
    989989 Posts: 2,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If a City Talk based station flopped for the second time on AM/Medium Wave, its a shame the late Eric Haydock (Rick Dane) wasn't still around to hijack it and relaunch former Liverpool rock station Radio Jackie North:D:p
  • Options
    philenglandphilengland Posts: 8,179
    Forum Member
    I think moving City 2 to FM is a good move - like wise moving City Talk to AM
  • Options
    listeninglistening Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    kev wrote: »
    If the swap goes ahead how long until Radio City Talk ceases transmission?

Bauer end up with 96.7 Radio City 1, 105.9 Radio City 2 and a AM licence which doesn't seem to be in high demand.

Might be able to do a deal with UTV (e.g. TalkSPORT 2) to give that an analogue outlet.

With Absolute now at 80% digital will Bauer keep that going on AM for much longer or even bother considering the likes of Absolute Radio 80s going onto AM?

As far as I am aware Radio City Talk will continue to broadcast on DAB when the swap takes place so if Bauer can get the format right then there station could increase it's audience. I would expect the AM broadcasting to continue for some time yet.

The problem is that up to now it is has been probably neither one thing or another because of licencing restrictions placed on it. Assuming the swap does go ahead there it may be a start in repairing the damage, although I am slightly concerned that the proposed music policy may put some people off,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It looks like some of the changes are being introduced now, the 7 am news on City this morning announced that the station will carry the Legends phone in at 1830hrs tonight, and presumably on Monday when the programme is also aired on Talk. Saint's and Snods also appears to be retained on both stations suggesting that the simulcasting of some of sports output will continue post the post, or could it swap to City 2?

I also noticed that following the loss of live commentary, Liverpool FC now advertising on City 1 and Talk that they will broadcast live commentary free to air on the internet, and mobile. Perhaps this could be reason for the loss of the service on City?
  • Options
    radio tunerradio tuner Posts: 3,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    listening wrote: »

I also noticed that following the loss of live commentary, Liverpool FC now advertising on City 1 and Talk that they will broadcast live commentary free to air on the internet, and mobile. Perhaps this could be reason for the loss of the service on City?

city didnt renew their contract when it expired cost cutting measure.why are lfc bothering advertising it is available on bbc radio merseyside
  • Options
    Forum Member
    city didnt renew their contract when it expired cost cutting measure.why are lfc bothering advertising it is available on bbc radio merseyside

I must admit I thought that was curious and if I remember correctly they only say "Every Premier League Match", so I wonder what will happen with the FA Cup and League Cup? I know City lost European coverage last season as part of the national deal with Talksport. Great pity really but perhaps inevitable as the PL clubs provide more and more of their own media outlets.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    This afternoon, City 96.7 was Simon Greening with music, whilst on City 2 is was Tom Davies network showed again with music, but City Talk had it's own music and sport show with live drop in's from around the Premier League with Connor Phillips and it was very slick. It will be interesting to see, post changes if this format is retained and or if they decide to simulcast it with City 1, given that the use of Simon Greening on a Saturday afternoon is probably a temporary measure.
  • Options
    stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    listening wrote: »
    This afternoon, City 96.7 was Simon Greening with music, whilst on City 2 is was Tom Davies network showed again with music, but City Talk had it's own music and sport show with live drop in's from around the Premier League with Connor Phillips and it was very slick. It will be interesting to see, post changes if this format is retained and or if they decide to simulcast it with City 1, given that the use of Simon Greening on a Saturday afternoon is probably a temporary measure.

Connor Phillips must be working 7 days a week as he does the home run on radio aire mon - fri and the Sunday Breakfast show on the bauer city 1 network in England.
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    (Ignore. I didn't notice dpb had already posted about Ofcom approving the change)
  • Options
    swb1964swb1964 Posts: 4,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does this make Liverpool the only city in the uk with oldies on FM
  • Options
    the_viasat_guythe_viasat_guy Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So most people disagreed with the request, yet Ofcom allowed it anyway... Shows how good Ofcom is then doesn't it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Will make DAB a bonus point again because I used to enjoy the fact that you could listen to Pete Price on Magic via DAB at much better quality than AM, now presumably he is going back to AM yet again after having been able to occupy the "star" frequency of 96.7 itself for a while, and CityTalk even at 64kbps Mono will sound better on DAB than AM!

What Liverpool content will they now offer on City 2 on 105.9 and will all CityTalk content simply swap to AM? It would be fairer to put Pete Price back on 96.7 as the show doesn't really deserve having to go back to AM, not enough people have DAB in car even though I'm one of them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    swb1964 wrote: »
    Does this make Liverpool the only city in the uk with oldies on FM

Except for the fact that CityTalk has been mostly music which included a lot of oldies so we've had the service for a few years, but I never listened because of the terrible audio processing, the music didn't seem much different to the flat copies you'd have on CD, in fact it sounded worse because it had a lot of top end making the songs sound tinny, they could have made the programming a bit more accessible by repeating some of their shows in evenings and weekends, and putting on the best of Pete Price every Friday & Saturday, but commercial radio is never allowed to rise above the very basic and actually be fun.

Now it's on AM and they will have a classic hits station carried on FM what will be the point of music on the AM frequency, perhaps now they will actually carry a lot more talk programming and you could benefit from getting it also in reasonable quality on DAB. Perhaps the Big Top 40 simulcast will finally go! or maybe they will become the first station to broadcast the show on AM! The crapness of commercial radio can no longer surprise me!
  • Options
    dlmccabedlmccabe Posts: 1,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So most people disagreed with the request, yet Ofcom allowed it anyway... Shows how good Ofcom is then doesn't it

Is that a sweeping statement?

There were a total of 8 respondents. 6 objected to the change. The responses that are available on the Ofcom website read as though they were written by the pedants that want ILR back as it was in 1990