Options

Win 10 up and running? Talk about your post-install experiences with it.

Comments

• Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did you boot from the USB drive? Upgrading isn't done that way if you did.

To upgrade, for the first time, boot to W7/W8.1 and Run the setup.exe on the USB drive

That is what I did, but still asked for the key, oh well it is updated now, or is that downgraded?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    If you've still got the same machine in 5 years you might moan having to pay to get it upgraded when the support for win 7 goes

probably best to image the drive and let it upgrade to windows 10 and tell MS what it wants and then re-image the drive again and restore the windows 7 image as at least you'll be guaranteed of the free upgrade :)

Five years a long time in the computer world, how many machines will still be going in five years? Anyway I still know a couple of people that is still using XP with no support from MS.
  • Options
    call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    barbeler wrote: »
    This thread has made me very glad that I've ignored the free upgrade and stuck with Windows 7 :D

This thread reminds me that it's about after install experiences, not bragging how you are stuck in the past. ;-)
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    That is what I did, but still asked for the key, oh well it is updated now, or is that downgraded?

Check the Activation, that's all I am thinking about really.

And that it is W10 and not W10 Preview.
  • Options
    ToenToen Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here is what I did. I cloned my hard drive with Win 8.1 on it.
    I upgraded to Win 10; all activated and working.
    I swapped hard drive to cloned one and booted from that; Windows 8.1 shows as activated.
    I will stay with Windows 10 now but I was interested to see what happened.
  • Options
    oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Toen wrote: »
    I swapped hard drive to cloned one and booted from that; Windows 8.1 shows as activated.

This is interesting, but of course you can still only use one licence at a time. As far as MS may be concerned, you could just be reverting and reupgrading (just a very quick way of doing it!).

Have you swapped back again - it may think next time 10 is a clean install, and not activate (see my earlier post).

I'm tempted to try that on an old PC myself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Check the Activation, that's all I am thinking about really.

And that it is W10 and not W10 Preview.

You saying about activation reminded to make sure it have activated on my brothers laptop and it have.

Just as a test, I started the install process of windows 10 onh my own computer from the same USB drive as what I tried to do my brothers and it got further than it did with my brothers machine. It got to the MS agreement which I then declined as I do nto want to install it on my computer.

So it seems that when you use the media tool creator, it downloads windows 10 that is only for the computer you run the tool on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Toen wrote: »

I presume you can, for a while anyway. Saying that I have Windows 8 update and yet I can still install and activate Windows 7.
  • Options
    oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You saying about activation reminded to make sure it have activated on my brothers laptop and it have.

Just as a test, I started the install process of windows 10 onh my own computer from the same USB drive as what I tried to do my brothers and it got further than it did with my brothers machine. It got to the MS agreement which I then declined as I do nto want to install it on my computer.

So it seems that when you use the media tool creator, it downloads windows 10 that is only for the computer you run the tool on.

Really not true. I used same usb stick on three PCs.

Only restriction is if you created a 64 bit only USB stick, you cannot install it on a 32bit PC.
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You need to know if 32bit/64 bit, what install language, and what edition pro/home/ those funny N editions. And even if you choose something else you can install on any PC, not all will activate, but it's only because you go beyond MS free offer, not because you already installed from the same source. That's the whole point of the media creation tool, that you can download once and install several times.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member

Wrong, I've installed it on 30+ laptops and PCs with the same media creation tool that I have on a dvd and usb stick.
    All you need to know is here;
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oilman wrote: »
    Really not true. I used same usb stick on three PCs.

Only restriction is if you created a 64 bit only USB stick, you cannot install it on a 32bit PC.
    IvanIV wrote: »
    You need to know if 32bit/64 bit, what install language, and what edition pro/home/ those funny N editions. And even if you choose something else you can install on any PC, not all will activate, but it's only because you go beyond MS free offer, not because you already installed from the same source. That's the whole point of the media creation tool, that you can download once and install several times.
    lettice wrote: »
    Wrong, I've installed it on 30+ laptops and PCs with the same media creation tool that I have on a dvd and usb stick.
    All you need to know is here;
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install

IvanIV cracked it, I forgot when you download using the Media creator tool and put it on a usb stick, it asks what version, Pro, home and as IvanIV put it those funny N editions.
    My computer is 8.1 pro, my brothers is 8.1 with bing, which updates to windows 10 home.

So that is the problem.

Sorted, thanks IvanIV
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I create a USB drive (Linux or Windows), I try to remember to create a .txt doc on it afterwards saying what it is.

eg "W10 Pro 10240 RTM 32&64 en-GB.txt"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I create a USB drive (Linux or Windows), I try to remember to create a .txt doc on it afterwards saying what it is.

eg "W10 Pro 10240 RTM 32&64 en-GB.txt"

I got a sticker on it, but only says windows 10 as to be honest it only really for my computer.
    I may do another one with home on it, it is a shame there is no way to
    put both on a stick.
  • Options
    stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rar files are now horrible vanilla folders. What plank at MS decides these things, do they have a vanilla house, drive a vanilla car, is vanilla their favourite ice cream.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stvn758 wrote: »
    Rar files are now horrible vanilla folders. What plank at MS decides these things, do they have a vanilla house, drive a vanilla car, is vanilla their favourite ice cream.

I presume you mean the icons. you may need to set associations back up between your Rar software and rar files again.

I use Winrar, a old version of it I must admit and all my Rar files even on ten had the Winrar icon
  • Options
    JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People on here talk about downloading ISOs to USB sticks. I have never done that - always using DVDs. What size of USB stick would you need?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I presume you mean the icons. you may need to set associations back up between your Rar software and rar files again.

I use Winrar, a old version of it I must admit and all my Rar files even on ten had the Winrar icon

Thanks. I'll give that a go. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Windows usually fits on 4GB drives.

A 32&64bit iso is about 6GB so 8GB would be needed

A Recovery Drive (made by Windows) might be up to 16GB

=-=-=

An iso file needs to be extracted to the flash drive and made bootable.

For Windows, Rufus is the preferred utility https://rufus.akeo.ie/

If you ever want to try Linux distros, Universal USB Installer is my preferred http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    People on here talk about downloading ISOs to USB sticks. I have never done that - always using DVDs. What size of USB stick would you need?

It is not really a iso as such. You need at least 4GB as the files come to just a little over 3GB,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks. I'll give that a go. :)

I presume you know how to do that?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I presume you know how to do that?

I thought I did, but I have failed again. Winrar was already default app. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just reinstall Win RAR
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just reinstall Win RAR

That worked.

I have to wonder why it didn't do that the first time I installed it.
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That worked.

I have to wonder why it didn't do that the first time I installed it.

Maybe it's a problem with Winrar and not Windows 10.