Options

Never buying from Marks and Spencer again (Resalable condition)

cribologycribology Posts: 1,992
Forum Member
✭✭✭
3:30pm Saturday, I bought three items from M&S including two jumpers.

1:30pm Monday (today 6th Dec, I return jumpers as they are the wrong size). Croydon store.

M&S only refunded one jumper as they say the other has been worn (it hasn't), it gathered some balls of fluff from my settie where i laid it out. They refused to refund it based on it not being in resalable condition.

No mention of this "resalable condition" is measured on the receipt, mentioned at time of purchase and no mention of this on the returns policy on the website included below;

I pointed this out in store and was pointed to a poster behind the service desk. Which wasn't pointed out at the time of purchase. Do I have to scan the walls of stores before buying any item now?

Thats £30 of my money M&S have grabbed, I left the jumper at the store and will never buy anything from M&S again.

"Returning Clothing & Homeware (including delivery only furniture)
Unwanted items can be returned for exchange or full refund provided they are returned within 35 days of purchase with a valid receipt or parcel summary document.

If items are returned with an expired receipt or parcel summary document or without any receipt, we will offer you a credit receipt or exchange to the value of the last known selling price.

Please return the item to a UK store (except Simply Foods and Outlet stores) or for items bought online, you can post it back to us using the label provided. Postage is free from UK addresses for parcels under 5kg in weight and 61cm x 46cm x 46cm in size.

Please note that we will only refund or exchange bedding such as pillows and duvets if they have not been opened.
"

Comments

• Options
    Moany LizaMoany Liza Posts: 22,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the jumper acquired balls of fluff from being laid on your sofa, don't you think it might have been the decent thing to do to remove them before returning the jumper to the store?
  • Options
    AzagothAzagoth Posts: 10,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you bought the jumpers in person from the store, then why did you buy the wrong sizes?
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why did you leave the jumper ?

You should of kept the merchandise and then gone to someone more senior instore or written to the complaints department.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So you gave them £30 worth of merchandise back without a refund? That is so daft! You could have sold it on eBay, given it to someone for Christmas. Or as someone e4lse said, take your complaint higher and got your money back.

What has that achieved? :confused:
  • Options
    Hobbit FeetHobbit Feet Posts: 18,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What the blazes is your sofa made of - mohair?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Azagoth wrote: »
    If you bought the jumpers in person from the store, then why did you buy the wrong sizes?

People buy wrong sizes all the time, whats your point?
  • Options
    SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Porcupine wrote: »
    Why did you leave the jumper ?

You should of kept the merchandise and then gone to someone more senior instore or written to the complaints department.
    Or should have taken the jumper away, cleaned it up properly and then taken it back again for a refund.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What the blazes is your sofa made of - mohair?

I am talking pin head sizes, nothing worth making the jumper non resellable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you gave them £30 worth of merchandise back without a refund? That is so daft! You could have sold it on eBay, given it to someone for Christmas. Or as someone e4lse said, take your complaint higher and got your money back.

What has that achieved? :confused:

I treat it as a £30 pound lesson to not buy from M&S again.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cribology wrote: »
    I treat it as a £30 pound lesson to not buy from M&S again.

You could have decided to do that without losing £30!
  • Options
    TheEricPollardTheEricPollard Posts: 11,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stores don't have to give refunds if customers have simply changed their mind or made a mistake (except online). If they choose to, it's perfectly fair for them to want the goods back in good condition??? If your house is that mucky no one wants your rejects. :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sigurd wrote: »
    Or should have taken the jumper away, cleaned it up properly and then taken it back again for a refund.

This! Or if you felt they were being unfair take it up with senior management.

I certainly wouldn't have left the items there. Tbh I couldn't - and wouldn't - afford to lose £30.00 to teach myself a lesson!
  • Options
    AzagothAzagoth Posts: 10,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People buy wrong sizes all the time, whats your point?

Do they? My point is that if you were there in the store why didn't you make sure that you bought the correct sizes? Surely you know what size clothes you wear.
  • Options
    glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they have changing rooms don't they...why not try them jumpers on first if doubtful about size...and of course they should be returned in "resale" or perfect condition if you expect your money back.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could have decided to do that without losing £30!

Its still lost, I am not going to wear it or go through the effort of selling it, that said I could have left it at a charity shop. But it's to late now.
  • Options
    PunkchickPunkchick Posts: 2,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was in M&S yesterday and have to say I could not fail to notice the poster that says they will refund if an item is in resaleable condition, it is huge.
    I would be more worried about your sofa if it does that to clothes just laying on it!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Punkchick wrote: »
    I was in M&S yesterday and have to say I could not fail to notice the poster that says they will refund if an item is in resaleable condition, it is huge.
    I would be more worried about your sofa if it does that to clothes just laying on it!
    I dont routinely look past the person at the til at the back wall when buying goods and my sofa is fine thankyou.
  • Options
    Moany LizaMoany Liza Posts: 22,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont routinely look past the person at the til at the back wall when buying goods and my sofa is fine thankyou.

Well, the notices are there for the benefit of customers - so if they are clearly displayed it's rather your problem if you don't choose to look at them.

Your sofa doesn't sound all that "fine" if is deposits fluff over anything that is placed upon it. Fluffy balls on one of the jumpers clearly means the item was not returned to the store in a saleable condition.
  • Options
    m4tt24m4tt24 Posts: 843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No mention of this "resalable condition" is measured on the receipt, mentioned at time of purchase and no mention of this on the returns policy on the website included below;

"

It's pretty much common sense if you want to return something under a goodwill offer (which change of mind or refund due to wrong size is) to return items in the same condition you purchased them in,

One of the problems now with consumers and retailing if it's not on a sign directly infront of a customer stating every possible scenario then the retailer is always at fault.

M+S have done nothing wrong here you took a dirty jumper back and it wasn't accepted back, no doubt causing a scene at the time as i can't imagine anybody just leaving the jumper at customer services without making it clear why they where doing so.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    m4tt24 wrote: »
    One of the problems now with consumers and retailing if it's not on a sign directly infront of a customer stating every possible scenario then the retailer is always at fault.

On the receipt will do, nevermind, I'll save more than £30 in the next few weeks by shopping elsewhere than M&S.

And since no one here has seen the said jumper/sofa, I just :rolleyes: at some comments here.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the receipt will do, nevermind, I'll save more than £30 in the next few weeks by shopping elsewhere than M&S.

And since no one here has seen the said jumper/sofa, I just :rolleyes: at some comments here.

But...but....you could have saved yourself the £30.00 you lost by just picking the bobbly bits off the jumper!!

If you can afford to lose £30.00 then fine but I would have made an effort at getting it back, angry or not!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm sure no-one will notice the muck from your couch on your Primark jumpers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure no-one will notice the muck from your couch on your Primark jumpers.

Now thats funny, fortunately my choice of stores isn't restricted to M&S and Primark.
  • Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You do sound chavy to me, if you refer to your sofa as a settie then you are a chav. If it had bubbling on it then it's obviously not resalable and how else would it get that way if it hadn't been worn.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

I know it's too late now OP, but you should have taken the jumper to another branch and chanced your arm. Some workers tend to bend the rules more than others.

I took an item back to Sainsbury's on Saturday for an elderly neighbour (wrong size) The girl just threw it behind her - put the (correct) sized jumper in the bag and sent me on my way with a smile.

If only you'd held on to the pullover. :(