BBC The Proms 2013

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Boulez stuff was one of the most tedious things I've ever heard. And people wonder why Modernism is so utterly despised and why they can't get people to listen to it without attaching it to Beethoven or Mozart. People HATE it, and quite rightly.

The 'oldest' piece of Western art music I listen to regularly is Strauss's Four Last Songs, completed in 1948. The Late Romanticism of Mahler, Strauss and early Schoenberg is as 'Modernist' as I like. Anything after that has me turning for the off button.

Berg and Webern are worth a go. Schoenberg was not as good as his two main followers.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    petertard wrote: »
    Berg and Webern are worth a go. Schoenberg was not as good as his two main followers.

The only Schoenberg work I really love is the luscious, gorgeous, gigantic 'Gurrelieder', the greatest last-gasp of 19th century Romanticism! He was really young when he wrote it too. An amazing achievement.
  • nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was a beautiful rendition of Beethoven's Ninth tonight by our national youth orchestra and choirs. :)

And a mesmerising performance from the conductor Vasily Petrenko too. :)

Last Night tomorrow!

The Proms Season has gone by very quickly this year imho.
  • jeff_vaderjeff_vader Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Boulez stuff was one of the most tedious things I've ever heard. And people wonder why Modernism is so utterly despised and why they can't get people to listen to it without attaching it to Beethoven or Mozart. People HATE it, and quite rightly.

The 'oldest' piece of Western art music I listen to regularly is Strauss's Four Last Songs, completed in 1948. The Late Romanticism of Mahler, Strauss and early Schoenberg is as 'Modernist' as I like. Anything after that has me turning for the off button.

I agree to an extent (esp Strauss's Four Last Songs), but do have time for Glass and Adams, and some Britten. Never been a huge fan of atonalism.

Did anyone see the Tristan? Pretty decent.
  • tomvoxxtomvoxx Posts: 2,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So why are we being short changed this year BBC. Normally we get all the Proms In The Park on the red button. This year it's website only. Sorry guys but this is one licence payer who is seriously unimpressed.

I should point out that my first date with my wife was PITP lots of years ago. Every year since we've either gone to London or watched it together. Huddling round a laptop just isn't as much fun.
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Proms in the Park coverage on Red Button now..
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ouch- they're having a lot of mic line issues there..
  • spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tomvoxx wrote: »
    So why are we being short changed this year BBC. Normally we get all the Proms In The Park on the red button. This year it's website only. Sorry guys but this is one licence payer who is seriously unimpressed.

I should point out that my first date with my wife was PITP lots of years ago. Every year since we've either gone to London or watched it together. Huddling round a laptop just isn't as much fun.

tbh it gets worse each year, I wonder if they are going to cut the sea shanties again this year
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good evening Promenaders! :cool:

I'm watching BBC2 now then BBC1 later, rather than the red button.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tomvoxx wrote: »

That's very romantic imo. :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Silly question perhaps, but how do men get to sing that high :o(the man singing The Lord's My Shepherd' right now)?
  • Dr.  OtterblandDr. Otterbland Posts: 783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nethwen wrote: »
    Silly question perhaps, but how do men get to sing that high :o(the man singing The Lord's My Shepherd' right now)?

Natural ability plus years of training, how do you think ?

You don't just appear on the X Factory warbling a bad Whitney cover, these are REAL singers
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think he was a counter tenor. I didn't like the choir piece much I must admit but hey.... you can't please everyone. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nice to see Nigel Kennedy playing :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loving the Robinson Crusoe inspired jacket sleeves.!

Lovely piece though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Katie Derham looks a picture in that dress. Nigel Kennedy has his tramp busker outfit on again.
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    petertard wrote: »
    Katie Derham looks a picture in that dress. Nigel Kennedy has his tramp busker outfit on again.

She looks fab but what does Nigel look like in a ripped bin liner, couldn't he make the effort when everyone else is dressed up. He's getting a bit old to still be the enfant terrible.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    She looks fab but what does Nigel look like in a ripped bin liner, couldn't he make the effort when everyone else is dressed up. He's getting a bit old to still be the enfant terrible.

He's a silly old so and so but he can make a violin sing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Natural ability plus years of training, how do you think ?

You don't just appear on the X Factory warbling a bad Whitney cover, these are REAL singers

:D

Yes I know that. I just meant how is it physically possible, that's all. Even I could never reach those high notes.
    think he was a counter tenor. I didn't like the choir piece much I must admit but hey.... you can't please everyone. :)

Thanks. And one of the best in the world today too, according to Katie Derham. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :D

Yes I know that. I just meant how is it physically possible, that's all. Even I could never reach those high notes.

Thanks. And one of the best in the world today too, according to Katie Derham. :)

If you like a counter tenor... have a listen to Andreas Scholl. I think he is wonderful. :)
  • Rogana JoshRogana Josh Posts: 41,348
    Forum Member
    We have some fat blokeish bird commentating in Scotland and she is just not funny either as a comedian or a commentator.
    Can't go to my beloved Hyde Park like I always done :mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you like a counter tenor... have a listen to Andreas Scholl. I think he is wonderful. :)

Thank you. I shall look him up. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was stunning from Joyce DiDonato there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That was stunning from Joyce DiDonato there.

Her voice is amazing , really enjoyed her set am glad she will be back for the second half
  • goldberry1goldberry1 Posts: 2,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always thought Nigel Kennedy was a lightweight - I've watched and heard him playing violin tonight - Vaughen Williams 'Lark Ascending' - he said it evoked a past time as it was composed just before WW1 - I beg to differ - I don't know what birds I've seen ascending here up north in the Lake District and Yorkshire - but as he played I remembered things I've seen when hiking here in beautiful real England - not the England of the towns and cities - his performance and that of the orchestra was absolutely FANTASTIC - I'm glad I heard it - WONDERFUL!