UK Govt: DVD and CD Ripping Will Be Legalized This Summer

shoestring25shoestring25 Posts: 4,715
Forum Member
✭✭✭
the UK Government has published a guide informing consumers about an upcoming revision of copyright law which will legalize CD and DVD copying for personal use. The changes go into effect in June, and will also broaden other forms of fair use, including parody and quotation rights.

if its going to be legal then shouldnt DRM be removed ?

Comments

• NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they're going to make ripping media to your NAS legal then yes, they should have a word with whoever it is that infects Blu-rays with Cinavia.
  • rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ripping CDs is illegal? Who knew

They would bang me up for life if they knew how many CDs I had ripped in my lifetime
  • The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree. I think it's pretty wrong that I've paid stupid money and been ripped off for my copy of a Disney film which let's face it, costs peanuts to distribute and I'm not allowed to make a backup or copy it to my son's tablet for him to watch because if he's left alone with the original it will get scratched and wrecked in no time.

If I've bought that DVD I should buy the rights to copy it for my own use which I always thought I was within my rights to do anyway.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always though that ripping your own content for your own personal use was already legal?

I'm sure we'll get a raft of new programs rewriting their T's & C's to emphasise that you can rip for personal use so that their program "Pirate that DVD!!" at least tries to sound legal :)
  • The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always though that ripping your own content for your own personal use was already legal?

I'm sure we'll get a raft of new programs rewriting their T's & C's to emphasise that you can rip for personal use so that their program "Pirate that DVD!!" at least tries to sound legal :)

Yes I was under the same impression but having tried to rip The Lion King and Thomas & Friends DVDs to my son's tablet I've found out that even though it's legal to do so, you can't because the copyright protection won't allow you to even after trying some of the internet's finest ripping software. So even though I've got the right to backup my own discs, I can't.

I've also just found out that if you download a Kindle book it won't allow you to copy it to someone else's device unless it's on the same Amazon account so in future I'll be going back to real books so I can please myself what I do with them.

If I bought a real book or talking book I could share it with whoever I liked like my wife or my friends but not with a Kindle ebook it would seem. I could also if I wished to do so, sell it on but again you can't do that with a Kindle book. It's just a way for them to get more money from us. Oh well, their loss as I won't be buying anymore ebooks until they remove the protection. In future I will only be buying the real thing and if I choose to lend it to my wife to read then that's my prerogative.
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    ^^ it's not really the same if I buy a physical book, then give it to someone I no longer have that book, but if I copy the book, I still have a copy. So what's to stop the next person, copying and handing it on etc.

The same with ripping DVD's its fine in my opinion if you RIP then store the original away etc, but not if you RIP then sell, give the original away, which a lot of people do.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It never has been legal in the UK. At least not without the express consent of the copyright holder.

Though I recall some years ago reading a quote from the head of one of the music rights organisations (think it was the BPI?) that they were not really interested in going after individuals who copied CDs to an mp3 player or whatever. They were more interested in pursuing people who made dozens of copies to flog at car boot sales and the like.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,524
    Forum Member
    if its going to be legal then shouldnt DRM be removed ?

DRM is still allowed and may now get worse, IMO.

Copying for friends and family is still illegal.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/215022716/Copyright-Guidance-Consumers
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't think it's ever been legal. So all those times you've copied a CD to put it on your iPod, you've broken the law! Don't worry, you're in good company! :p
  • jrmswfcjrmswfc Posts: 5,644
    Forum Member
    shelleyj89 wrote: »
    I don't think it's ever been legal. So all those times you've copied a CD to put it on your iPod, you've broken the law! Don't worry, you're in good company! :p

Interesting, so all the times I've been able to easily rip or burn a CD through Windows Media Player, Microsoft have been encouraging me to break the law and even walking me through the process?!
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jrmswfc wrote: »
    Interesting, so all the times I've been able to easily rip or burn a CD through Windows Media Player, Microsoft have been encouraging me to break the law and even ealking me through the process?!

Indeed. Apple too.
  • jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I get one reason this is getting enacted is that companies are never going to bother with people doing it individual use.

But they should go harder after people copying for financial gain.
  • PaulS67PaulS67 Posts: 12,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pointless law as most people do this now (and same with cassette/vinyl copying for those that did this also)

surprised that so many didn't know it was illegal (check cover for items, says that making a copy is prohibited unless you have permission)

good to know that my digital music library going back 40 years will soon be legal (ripped from cd/vinyl over the years)
  • shoestring25shoestring25 Posts: 4,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    apparently its now legal from today
  • morganb1611morganb1611 Posts: 458
    Forum Member
    They're only about 10 years out of date with this law. Are there still people out there ripping CDs and DVDs?
  • NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're only about 10 years out of date with this law. Are there still people out there ripping CDs and DVDs?

Of course there are, how else would you go about transferring your CDs, and Vinyl in my case, to your Walkman?
  • Lisa.BLisa.B Posts: 57,275
    Forum Member

Yes me. I make up CDs for the car as my car stereo hasn't got one of them thingies for hooking up an ipod.
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NX-74205 wrote: »
    Of course there are, how else would you go about transferring your CDs, and Vinyl in my case, to your Walkman?

I rip all of my CD's & DVD's or obtain rips of ones that I have purchased, so that I can watch them on any of my devices without pointless "Thank you for purchasing this DVD" advert & trailers.
  • Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    Wasn't it once illegal, and perhaps it still is, to record things off the TV?

I recall there was a lot of anger in the film studios about how VHS was going to doom the film industry.