Games that are highly rated and everybody seems to love apart from you

Comments

• HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chparmar wrote: »
    Fun? - What's fun about running people all over for half a day, beating a few cops to death and then going to a strip club, finishing the day off with a round of golf?
    The series has serious boundary issues and certainly not my idea of 'fun'.

I have put many hours into GTA Online since release but have spent hardly any of them doing the type of activity you seem to think you have to do in the game. It is all about the freedom to do what you want in the world. If you chose to play like that its no wonder you don't find the games fun.

I have spent a lot of time racing different vehicles, cars verses helicopters races are fun once you sort out comparable vehicles. Truck and trailer racing around the mountain back roads is fun. Trying to land helicopters on truck trailers, trying to find a vehicle to transport the giant Orange, seeing how far you can get the monster truck up the river, seeing which vehicles can climb the mountain, seeing which cars can fit inside which shops, finding and modifying cars, racing and comparing cars, groups parachuting, car football, car and bike half piping. That is just some of the things we have been doing while messing around having fun in the free-roam. If you have some imagination you can have all sorts of fun with the game.
  • ChparmarChparmar Posts: 6,367
    Forum Member
    seanf wrote: »
    Have you played gta?

Just out of interest what's your type of game. I've seen frim your best 5 you like Mario, a game based om drug abuse and animal cruelty.

I can't say that I havr ever spent half of the day running people over or killing police. I actually spent a full 8 hours just flying around in the little bird taking in the sights. And can't wait to do the same on the ps4, the sun rise over mount chilliad should be great :)

Mario at its very best is just unbeatable in terms of how to design a perfect game. If you think it's based on drug abuse and animal cruelty than either it's very subtle or it's just your imagination. Or maybe you are clutching at straws??
    I don't think anyone seriously considers it to be anything else than a positive experience for everyone involved.

The trouble with GTA is that you can do those things I mentioned above, and apart of my displeasure of such sordid acts, it actually breaks the immersion of the gameplay; even the mentioned positive experiences.
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These are the first that come to mind for me, especiallty since they are so highly rated and widely loved. While I can accept they all feature exceptional voice acting and interesting characters as video games go, the gameplay itself is pretty average and really nothing too special.

It's not like I have a thing against Naughty Dog either since I absolutely adored the Jak trilogy on PS2.

I wasn't trying a wind up, the Uncharted series and Last of Us look great. I'm just an old school arcader at heart.
    I don't have the patience for stealth games such as Gears of War and Metal Gear Solid either.

Only ever tried an Halo game once and didn't like it. Not likely to again.

GTA I like but I end up not doing the missions properly for messing about.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Naa_KwaKai wrote: »
    That's because the positives are few and far between. You're playing as criminals for heaven's sake. Don't pretend as if the three protagonists are saints. They engage in bulgaries, terrorism, torture, kidnapping, murder etc

Wow, you do realise its only a game right and fiction?
  • montyburns56montyburns56 Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Final Fantasy VII - I remember all the mags raving about it and I couldn't believe it when I first started playing only to find out that all the characters were these crude cartoony avatars.
  • seanfseanf Posts: 3,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Right back on topic, pacman come on walk round a maze avoiding ghosts, until you eat a magic pill that grants you the power to eat ghosts for a limited time, wow another drug related game I grew up with :(
  • MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Right back on topic, pacman come on walk round a maze avoiding ghosts, until you eat a magic pill that grants you the power to eat ghosts for a limited time, wow another drug related game I grew up with :(

I liked PacMan. It was Track'n'Field I couldn't get on board with. Sent you a pm about youranti Scottish ness!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MC_Satan wrote: »
    I liked PacMan. It was Track'n'Field I couldn't get on board with. Sent you a pm about youranti Scottish ness!

Track n field are you real?? me and my dad spent hours on that. Had a few broken joy sticks to prove it.
    Inti Scottish Ness, enough now I have never had a problem with nessy ;)

pmd back.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daley Thompson Decathlon was a nightmare!
    Never liked Elite either. Impressive programming wise but soooo boring.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never liked Elite either. Impressive programming wise but soooo boring.

now come on elite and frontier are in my top 5 thread, just don't know a good game when you see one.
    But those games show your age, Your must be old lile me ;)
  • Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Back on topic: I tried to play Halo and couldn't see the appeal. I don't like the way the camera angles are, reminds me of old 2D games but I've heard you can play it in first person...
  • james_W85james_W85 Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chparmar wrote: »
    You can do things where there's no justification in the violence, whatsoever. You can beat up cops, escape and beat up 'ladies of a certain profession' all day and get away with it every single time, if you know what you are doing, just to boost up your 'stats'!

Horror movies and horror games have justification in their violence.

Also, do not understand why playing the so called 'glamorous' gangsta lifestyle is so appealing.

have you actually played the game? the key words in your post are "you can" now that doesn't mean you have to it just means if you have a choice, and in no way do you "boost stats" by doing so, you can go through the entire game without even coming across a "lady of a certain profession" as you put it, don't believe everything that the left wing press perpetuates
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    now come on elite and frontier are in my top 5 thread, just don't know a good game when you see one.
    But those games show your age, Your must be old lile me ;)

OK. You got me! I could never dock with a space station! Thus got bored! I'm not young, put it that way!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK. You got me! I could never dock with a space station! Thus got bored! I'm not young, put it that way!

That was tricky, but when done you knew you had achieved something.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Naa_KwaKai wrote: »
    Back on topic: I tried to play Halo and couldn't see the appeal. I don't like the way the camera angles are, reminds me of old 2D games but I've heard you can play it in first person...

Halo has only ever been in first person unless in vehicles. Are you sure you meen halo as in master chief?
  • shoestring25shoestring25 Posts: 4,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deus ex human revolution dont quite get what all the high ratings were about very average if you ask me
  • NEWLINEtvNEWLINEtv Posts: 5,420
    Forum Member
    All FPS/Violent games, I just don't get "it", maybe it's because I'm against video game violence?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NEWLINEtv wrote: »
    All FPS/Violent games, I just don't get "it", maybe it's because I'm against video game violence?

What constitutes a violent game? Genuine question. Is it just the Manhunts, CoDs, gory games or bloodless ones too with comic book violence?
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Trials franchise is one i've never understood.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dead Rising 2.

I liked the look of these games and when the new systems were announced I thought DR3 was one of the better looking next gen games. But when I finally got around to playing Dead Rising 2 last month I found it fairly boring. The best part of the game was running around the sandbox killing zombies. It is one of the few game I haven't played through to completion in the last 5 years.
  • tombigbeetombigbee Posts: 4,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotbird wrote: »
    Dead Rising 2.

I liked the look of these games and when the new systems were announced I thought DR3 was one of the better looking next gen games. But when I finally got around to playing Dead Rising 2 last month I found it fairly boring. The best part of the game was running around the sandbox killing zombies. It is one of the few game I haven't played through to completion in the last 5 years.

DR2 was very disappointing. DR1 is much better. I got bored while playing it as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tombigbee wrote: »
    DR2 was very disappointing. DR1 is much better. I got bored while playing it as well.

A major part of the problem was the requirement to do most things within a time limit. Which is why I preferred the more laid back sandbox option.
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    DR3 is really a very different game to either DR or DR2/OTR tbh, it's a far more open ended experience (more like GTA, only where virtually every building can be entered) with great controls too. Though I do like the earlier DR games they take a lot of patience to get into.
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The 1500 metres, when you had to do slowish side to side with the joystick and then frantic for the last bit. Awful.
    Many joysticks and the arm of my settee were knackered
    Much preferred Winter Games and California games.
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fallout 3 great setting love the retro ruined world with mutants unfortunately the actual game play if so slow glitch y and boring. i hated that i spent half the time checking my control panel (pip boy) the other half just wandering about trying to get to an indecipherable point on a map only to get annihilated as soon as i bumped into an enemy. really needed speeding up in all aspects and glitches wow
    I didn't notice the glitches, but I hated the combat system. The first time I played, I got bored and gave up before I left the bunker. The second time, I did get out, and normally I love an open world first person game, but I got fed up with the combat and there seemed no way to avoid it.
    Could not get on board with Far Cry 2.
    Love FC3 and can't wait for FC4
    A main character who needs constant medication to control his malaria....really ?!?!
    Sure, why not? It was hardly constant; it just forced you to do a side mission to get medication once in a while. It added variety. I loved Far Cry 2 (and 1 and 3).

I think Half-life 2 was over-rated. The graphics and physics were not that impressive if you'd played Far Cry 1, which came out 6 months earlier. The levels were on a rail, and the puzzles seemed to rely on you finding the solution the writers intended. It's especially disappointing because Half-life 1 was so much better in every way (except graphics, physics and face-modelling).