Changing Region Of DVD Recorder

singhss1singhss1 Posts: 2,243
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have a DVD Recorder but am getting the wrong regional channel. How can change it to mine?

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    singhss1 wrote: »
    I have a DVD Recorder but am getting the wrong regional channel. How can change it to mine?

Not enough information. What exactly do you mean by Regional Channel?
  • oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Not enough information. What exactly do you mean by Regional Channel?

I think OP is referring to the regional setting. Most DVD players are set to a region (1=US,2=Europe etc). This is so you can only play DVDs for you region (mainly to stop you buying cheap asian imports).

For a standalone player, you can sometimes find (on the web) a "crack" which is a series of presses on a remote to remove the region lock.

Typical search would be

Sony xyz123 (model) region crack.

It is worth emailing manufacturer as they might tell you.

If it is a PC DVD player, you get five attempts to change region before it is locked, and you would need a firmware hack to change it. However there are software solutions eg DVD Region Killer for PCs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oilman wrote: »
    I think OP is referring to the regional setting. Most DVD players are set to a region (1=US,2=Europe etc). This is so you can only play DVDs for you region (mainly to stop you buying cheap asian imports).
    On the other hand the OP could mean they are getting the "wrong" ITV region for their local news. As I said not enough information given to answer the question properly.
  • singhss1singhss1 Posts: 2,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the other hand the OP could mean they are getting the "wrong" ITV region for their local news. As I said not enough information given to answer the question properly.

This is what I mean't. Sorry, I thought it could cause misunderstandings. I mean the BBC/ITV region.
  • JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

From the way it's worded, that sounds the more likely issue.

If this is the case then I suggest going through the process of re-tuning the channels and there should be an option to select your own region.
  • oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah - thinking too hard!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From the way it's worded, that sounds the more likely issue.

If this is the case then I suggest going through the process of re-tuning the channels and there should be an option to select your own region.

Can you elaborate further?
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Check your channel list for channels over 800. If you have the channels you want are probably there.

This is caused by auto tuning picking up more than 1 transmiiter.

The easiest solution is often to identify which transmitter carries your local regions and the UHF channels it uses for its mux. Then delete all your existing radio and TV channels and then manually tune the mux in turn.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's difficult to give exact instructions without knowing what DVD recorder you have, so it would be helpful if you gave us the make and model.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's difficult to give exact instructions without knowing what DVD recorder you have, so it would be helpful if you gave us the make and model.

Panasonic DMR-EX78
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is what I mean't. Sorry, I thought it could cause misunderstandings. I mean the BBC/ITV region.

There may be no scope to change ITV/BBC region. It entirely depends on the transmitter your aerial is pointing to. The only option you may have is if you are receiving two transmitters in different regions.

Try poking your postcode into the checker on the DigitalUK website

www.digitaluk.co.uk

Tick the box "Detailed view" then when you click Go it will show a list of possible transmitters you can receive. Tell us what the Most Likely one is and the first Alternative. That will give us an idea of what your options are.

If you are receiving from two transmitters there will usually be a set of duplicate channels numbered above 800. If there are none then you may only be able to receive one transmitter. Though some devices can try and sort out which transmitter to pick based on you entering a post code during set-up or by offering a list of options when tuning.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So I cannot tune into whatever region I want to choose?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So I cannot tune into whatever region I want to choose?

You can only tune into whatever region the transmitters you can receive at your location are broadcasting.

Each transmitter only broadcasts one region, it's not like satellite where they are all available because Freeview simply doesn't have the capacity. Mind you it's no different to analogue in that respect.

One thing to note. If your recorder does Freeview HD then the ITV HD region could be different to the ITV SD region. For example I get Meridian South (Berkshire & Hampshire) on SD and Meridian South East (Kent & Sussex) on HD.

But unless you can receive two transmitters in different regions (I could get Meridian and/or London with the right aerial set-up) then you don't get any choice really.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Panasonic DMR-EX78

Having checked the manual for that device, it's not clear whether you can select your region.

Select SETUP> TUNING> AUTO-SETUP RESTART. This will take a few minutes to re-tune your channels and when finished it may give you an option to select your region.

By the way, has your TV itself got freeview and if so, does it have the correct region?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has your issue been resolved?