Case Sensitive

MoDingleMoDingle Posts: 4,275
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Is the detective guy in this the same guy that's in the Direct Line adverts - you know the one with the wife with the curly hair, who buys a ride on mower and likes saivignon blanc ??

Comments

• MrsWatermelonMrsWatermelon Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If not, they look awfully similar!

I'm quite enjoying it. I've only read one Sophie Hannah, Kind of Cruel, and I found it gripping but the ending was a huge let down. I didn't like Charlie much either. I might give the other novels a go if I enjoy this TV adaptation.
  • Loz_FraggleLoz_Fraggle Posts: 5,758
    Forum Member
    Yes it is.
  • MoDingleMoDingle Posts: 4,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it is.

Thank you - was driving me mad - I knew I'd seen him somewhere before but my hubby wasn't convinced it was him - those ads make me laugh :D
  • davie1924davie1924 Posts: 2,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I seem to remember him from Alan Partridge perhaps?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He also starred as a chef in Whites with Allan Davies.
  • Barnes5603Barnes5603 Posts: 1,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who does anyone think may have done it then? Her, him or neither of them?
  • Old BlokeOld Bloke Posts: 1,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's Darren Boyd - best known for comedy roles, but I think he's doing a good job in this show.
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have read a few of Sophia Hannah's books. Some of them are rather bleak but one or two are OK. Charlie Zailer is exactly as I imagine her but not Simon Waterhouse. I do not like the actor playing him and find him very wooden.

He won a BAFTA for comedy performance this year!
  • MrsWatermelonMrsWatermelon Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Barnes5603 wrote: »
    Who does anyone think may have done it then? Her, him or neither of them?

I never bother trying to work it out. It's par for the course for these books/programmes to do everything to mislead you, so they can have a shock twist at the end. I just watch without trying to second guess.

Since the ex-wife has been arrested only halfway through the programme, I think we can safely say it isn't her.
  • catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is completely different from the book so far - apart from a couple of characters sharing names with characters in the book, and Aidan saying that he once hurt or killed someone called Mary Treleese, that's about it. Well, of course Charlie, Simon, their boss, and Sanders are from the books but Charlie is in a different job by the time this book comes along. But the plot is completely different from the book. The first one they adapted did have quite a few changes but was still recognisable as the same story.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Old Bloke wrote: »
    It's Darren Boyd - best known for comedy roles, but I think he's doing a good job in this show.

He was also Dirk Gently's deadpan sidekick, which he played in a very similar way to his role in Case Sensitive. :D

I like him, but he does seem a bit limited in range.
  • mychmosemychmose Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't know Richard Bacon was acting these days ;)
  • donna255donna255 Posts: 10,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He was John Cleese in the Monty Python BBC comedy/documentary.

Also in Sky's Spy comedy.
  • digimoandigimoan Posts: 372
    Forum Member
    Bump

Part 2 tonight :)
  • andydipandydip Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    What a disappointing second episode. Guessed the outcome way before the end, plus some basic errors. The detective deduced that their suspect had recently been in the house by feeling a warm teapot while wearing gloves! Not watched it before and wont bother again.
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There were only two episodes anyway so you won't have to bother!
  • drykiddrykid Posts: 1,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed it, although aspects of it had me a bit confused, not having watched the first series. Are the main two characters a couple / ex-couple? I thought from last night's episode that she had some kind of crush on him and that was the extent of it, but then tonight the way the sex scene was suddenly thrown in without any preamble made it seem they were in some kind of pre-existing relationship. Maybe I'm just thick...
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    andydip wrote: »
    What a disappointing second episode. Guessed the outcome way before the end, plus some basic errors. The detective deduced that their suspect had recently been in the house by feeling a warm teapot while wearing gloves! Not watched it before and wont bother again.

Sometimes you can try too hard to look clever.
    I've been going wrong all these years, buying thick woolie gloves for winter, should have bought thin leather gloves due to their excellent insulating properties...
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    drykid wrote: »
    I enjoyed it, although aspects of it had me a bit confused, not having watched the first series. Are the main two characters a couple / ex-couple? I thought from last night's episode that she had some kind of crush on him and that was the extent of it, but then tonight the way the sex scene was suddenly thrown in without any preamble made it seem they were in some kind of pre-existing relationship. Maybe I'm just thick...

What he/she said ^
    It was alright, I won't be watching series 3 if there's a good doc on BBC4, mind.
    I was also confuzzled by the relationship.
    The constant paraphrasing of what one person said when told to another person got right on my nips, it was like Chinese whispers.
    Nobody seemed capable of just repeating what someone else was supposed to have said verbatim.

Pah, 2 hours gone, why invest more time typing about it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    drykid wrote: »

The first "series" (2 episodes) was adapted by Sophie Hannah from her own book but this one had a different screenwriter and hardly bore any resemblance to the book at all.

They do have a relationship which develops over the course of the books but there was really nothing in this tv adaptation to explain what was going on between them. I did watch the first series but that was before I read the books so I can't remember what their relationship was in the first series now, sorry. Their characters in this weren't very much like they are in the books anyway. I thought this was very disappointing and the dialogue and plotting were awful.
  • teeswolfteeswolf Posts: 3,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big fan of the Sophie Hannah books, and so disappointed by this adaptation. There was so much more in the book, more plot lines and twists. Maybe it was considered 'too' much for 2 hours TV.

Some good performances though, in particular Eva Birthistle, who rarely seems to get a mention on these sort of forums.
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Old Bloke wrote: »

If he's suposed to be playing someone with piles I agree. Does have to look so tensed up and miserable all the time?:confused:
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was a bit of a cheat, bringing in someone, the sister, who hadn't been in it up to then, as the murderer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,679
    Forum Member
    This was like Bridget Jones, the Detective Years. All she needed was a good bonk from her work colleague to stop her snarling at everyone and hitting the wine. Ahhh, how romantic.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    teeswolf wrote: »
    Big fan of the Sophie Hannah books, and so disappointed by this adaptation. There was so much more in the book, more plot lines and twists. Maybe it was considered 'too' much for 2 hours TV.

It's very unusual for ITV to adapt a thriller and remove all the flashbacks to sadistic torture and child sex abuse, isn't it?