Glasgow 2014

Comments

• JonDoeJonDoe Posts: 31,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm planning on basing our 2014 holidays around it.

According to the site, tickets won't be available until 2013 so hopefully a bit of the Olympics buzz will have died down by then.
  • Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ignazio wrote: »
    Of course the Commonwealth Games are not the same as the Olympics as anyone who knows the history of the events will know and understand.

The CG are are a smaller, more intimate competition - always fun, always friendly.

If they choose to compete some of the best athletes in the world are eligible - cyclists both British and Australian: Athletics - a huge number of gold medals came from Commonwealth competitors (including a certain Mr. Bolt.) The Australians may have failed to deliver in the swimming pool in London - but even as I write they are looking into their poor showing and I have a feeling we'll see a very different Australian swimming squad in Glasgow. As for the diving - well the young Mr. Daley proved he is 3rd best in the world and but for one disastrous dive in the synchronised discipline (despite which they finished 4th) I reckon it's safe to say they would have won another medal.

Sadly there'll be no triathlon, no tennis (depriving Andy of competing for Scotland) and I imagine some other sports will be missing - but what the heck, take the games for what they are.

I see no reason why Glasgow should fail to deliver - Manchester pulled it off magnificently in 2002 We will still witness some of the best athletes in the world and the home crowd will raise the roof.

I'll be there and (whisper this) I wouldn't be surprised to see the Scots heading the medal table.

According to the official website Triathlon is part of the games although I did wonder when I saw Alistair Brownlee talking about trying to qualify for the 10K.

It will be interesting to see how many of th big stars will turn up for Galsgow afte so many missed Delhi - I am sure all the British stars will participate but I think it remains to be seen if Bolt, Blake, Rudisha etc. do.

I am sure Scottish stars will do well but can't see them topping the medal table, Australia usually top that easily
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tiger Rose wrote: »
    According to the official website Triathlon is part of the games although I did wonder when I saw Alistair Brownlee talking about trying to qualify for the 10K.

It will be interesting to see how many of th big stars will turn up for Galsgow afte so many missed Delhi - I am sure all the British stars will participate but I think it remains to be seen if Bolt, Blake, Rudisha etc. do.

I am sure Scottish stars will do well but can't see them topping the medal table, Australia usually top that easily

I believe that most of the stars that bypassed Delhi did so because of all the health and safety concerns. As this is an otherwise nothing year for most of these sports (no Olympics or World Championships) I see no reason for eligible athletes to turn their backs on the CGs.

Usually, the host nation does get a bounce from events like these so I wouldn't be at all shocked if Scotland over achieved somewhat. They have absolutely no chance of topping the medal table however.

I wouldn't just hand the title to the Aussies just yet though. After the great successes of London, I feel that England are actually the team to beat this time round.
  • ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another reason the Commonwealth games just aren't as interesting: I prefer it when they compete as one Team GB. It's one of the (many) reasons I find international football competitions less than alluring with the home nations being separate.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shappy wrote: »
    Another reason the Commonwealth games just aren't as interesting: I prefer it when they compete as one Team GB. It's one of the (many) reasons I find international football competitions less than alluring with the home nations being separate.

I feel that this is the main reason that the BBC talked so much about handing the baton onto Rio as opposed to hyping up the CGs.

In the wake of the success of Team GB on home soil it would surely be difficult to hype up a competition at this stage in which the Home Nations take part as separate entities without causing at least some level of offence.

Football on the other hand has always been run this way in this country. Do you really think that the majority of supporters in the UK really want a permanent Team GB football side or for that matter British domestic football leagues?
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shame Andy Murray was not at the parade in Glasgow today.

If they wanted him there, maybe they could have picked a day that wasn't so close to him returning to the UK from the US Open, after which I believe he had two nights with next to no sleep followed by a plane flight home. Man needs to sleep sometime you know....:rolleyes:

oh and by the way, unsurprisingly, after having had the chance to have a couple of days rest:
    Andy Murray is to visit his hometown on Sunday to give his friends, family and the local community a chance to celebrate his summer of success.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-19603046
  • David_SteeleDavid_Steele Posts: 40
    Forum Member

I completely agree with you. It really is better when we compete as Team GB.
  • MeepersMeepers Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    Superlez wrote: »
    Football on the other hand has always been run this way in this country. Do you really think that the majority of supporters in the UK really want a permanent Team GB football side or for that matter British domestic football leagues?
    If its only for the Olympics I think people are broadly supportive if mildly disinterested for the Mens game.

For the womens game, the support is there without a doubt, on all sides. Its the most visible form of womens football.
  • SpotSpot Posts: 25,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe that most of the stars that bypassed Delhi did so because of all the health and safety concerns. As this is an otherwise nothing year for most of these sports (no Olympics or World Championships) I see no reason for eligible athletes to turn their backs on the CGs.

Another factor was that the Delhi games were held in October, which is beyond the point where athletes still expect to be competing after a busy summer.

The Glasgow games are in late July/ early August.
  • IgnazioIgnazio Posts: 18,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's probably what confused me too.

If Alastair does decide to do 10k we've still got the pottential winner in Jonnie.
  • ff999ff999 Posts: 4,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Its also commutable from London - easyjet have a 7am flight to Glasgow from Gatwick with the last flight back being at 9.30pm. Just get in quick when they release their summer 2014 schedule!

Getting in quick will enable you to buy tickets, but I doubt they'll be cheap. They'll have the flight prices suitably bumped up in anticipation.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spot wrote: »
    Another factor was that the Delhi games were held in October, which is beyond the point where athletes still expect to be competing after a busy summer.

The Glasgow games are in late July/ early August.

The time of year was actually the biggest factor in so many people deciding to skip Delhi. Some didn't want to delay training for next year & it clashed with events like the World Gymnastics champs & Euro Track Cycling champs which were also qualification events for London 2012.

As I said though I'm confident all the Brits will turn up for Glasgow but I'm just not sure yet if the likes of Bolt or Rudisha will.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The time of year was actually the biggest factor in so many people deciding to skip Delhi. Some didn't want to delay training for next year & it clashed with events like the World Gymnastics champs & Euro Track Cycling champs which were also qualification events for London 2012.

As I said though I'm confident all the Brits will turn up for Glasgow but I'm just not sure yet if the likes of Bolt or Rudisha will.

The only other event in the athletics world that is happening in 2014 is the Diamond League. In fact, the Commonwealth Games is taking place on the same weekend that the same League would normally have its big annual show in London.

In 2 years time these events will not clash. Also the big hitters like Usain Bolt, David Rudisha, Sally Pearson etc will be stationed in Europe because of the DL, so why should they miss the chance to take part in an event under probably much more relaxed circumstances than usual?

If he hasn't already achieved his aim of running the 800m in less than 1m40s, then Rudisha might consider the CGs as the time to go for it, as there is clearly nothing like the same amount of pressure as one would associate with the Olympics.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JonDoe wrote: »
    I'm planning on basing our 2014 holidays around it.

According to the site, tickets won't be available until 2013 so hopefully a bit of the Olympics buzz will have died down by then.

Ticket information released today:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-22496538
  • Von TrappVon Trapp Posts: 398
    Forum Member
    For the most part this is true. As there is no USA or China, then the swimming leaves a bit to be desired. Ditto this for the diving.

No China or Korea, so the badminton and table tennis takes a noticable nosedive.

But let's take a look on the bright side. In cycling, we get to see the young English pretenders take on Sir Chris Hoy as an adversary as opposed to having him as a team mate.

For the few fans of squash, netball and lawn bowls, these events ARE the Olympics for these sports. The contenders here would be the favourites for Olympic medals if they were in the Olympics.

Athletics is something of a mixed bag. No USA, Russia or Europe, so you are definitely missing something in the field. But just have a look at the mens track events. Most of the gold medallists are Commonwealth athletes. In fact, the only event that these nations failed to win was the 1500m!

It might sound controversial, but IMO the 5000m, 10000m and marathon Commonwealth golds are virtually as good as Olympic golds from a sporting point of view. Mo Farah will be up against about 90% of the Olympic fields he put firmly in their place. And those Africans will be thirsting for revenge!

And if Jessica Ennis thinks that the Commonwealths are an easy road to a hurdling gold then there is still the small matter of Sally Pearson to overcome - and she was one of those few superstars who actually did go to the disaster that was Delhi!

So I feel for the most part you are right and while it aint the Olympics, the events on the track should by themselves make these a memorable Games.

Sir Chris has retired.
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »

Given it's the other end of the country I'm going to try and plan a 2-3 day stay around this, bit more of a commute than Stratford :p
    Von Trapp wrote: »
    Sir Chris has retired.

In September last year when that post was made he hadn't and had stated his intention to carry on till the Commonwealth games.....
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    Given it's the other end of the country I'm going to try and plan a 2-3 day stay around this, bit more of a commute than Stratford :p

That's my plan too. I've been to Edinburgh a few times but never been to Glasgow so this will be a good opportunity to explore the city.
  • JonDoeJonDoe Posts: 31,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »

Great, thanks. :)
  • The NetThe Net Posts: 5,484
    Forum Member
    A year to go and website now updated.

Tickets go on sale in three weeks

http://www.glasgow2014.com/tickets
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Downloaded the ticket guide to peruse at some other time & decide which sessions to apply for.

Exciting to plan another trip to a major sporting event.
  • MeepersMeepers Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    They are using Ticketmaster for the whole ticketing process.........brave.
  • The NetThe Net Posts: 5,484
    Forum Member
    Meepers wrote: »
    They are using Ticketmaster for the whole ticketing process.........brave.

Probably the safe option. Going for a smaller ticket portal for an expected heavy demand would have been a braver strategy.
  • Department_SDepartment_S Posts: 4,918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is this thread still under London 2012?
  • bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why is this thread still under London 2012?

Just a good place to discuss multi sports and other events.
    Hopefully this sub forum wil be used for the Winter Games and Commonwealths 2014.

Not sure if it can be renamed..or should.
  • Department_SDepartment_S Posts: 4,918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a good place to discuss multi sports and other events.
    Hopefully this sub forum wil be used for the Winter Games and Commonwealths 2014.

Not sure if it can be renamed..or should.

Agreed about multi sports so perhaps a case for renaming the thread then.