Phone 5C pre-orders a big disappointment...

1858687888991»

Comments

• StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    calico_pie wrote: »
    Not that foolish - to bash something is a widely accepted and common slang for criticise.

Yes, it is foolish.
    This isn't getting thrown about daily here either. It was used in an article in Avery specific and relevant context.

Oh, it did for a loooong time. It still does.
    When I said "if the cap fits" you dismissed that, saying was simply a stupid term.

But here you are saying that it's fine to call some Apple users iSheep.

Are you just completely oblivious to the double standard?

There is no double standard!!

The term apple bashing is one used by foolish apple users who cant take any criticism about their devices. That is pathetic.

iSheep i find acceptable since it defines people who cant see past apple and refuse to think any device is better than their beloved.
    It absolutely does. If people argue that the only reason Apple products well so well is down to marketing, then the fact that some Apple products don't sell as well clearly disproves that argument.

It's not disproven at all. Some of it is for that reason.
  • KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »

The term apple bashing is one used by foolish apple users who cant take any criticism about their devices. That is pathetic.

iSheep i find acceptable since it defines people who cant see past apple and refuse to think any device is better than their beloved.

Double standards there.
  • calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's truly priceless! If you can't see the double standard there that's literally unbelievable.

So if someone happens to like and prefer Apple products, it is, in your mind, perfectly acceptable to refer to them as an iSheep? And it doesn't strike you as remotely pathetic?

People having personal preferences is a perfectly normal thing - I find it bizarre that, in the case of Apple in particular, people seem to feel the need to dress it up and use unnecessarily colourful language like "refuse to think any device is better than their beloved". It strikes me that some people just seem to have difficulty in accepting that other people don't share their preferences.
    It's not disproven at all. Some of it is for that reason.

It pretty much is - if its all down to marketing, and people only buy Apple products because of the marketing, then why don't Apple sell as many Apple TVs as they sell iPads? Answer - because the argument is nonsense.
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swordman wrote: »
    On the earnings call with analysts, Apple hinted the low growth was due to a contraction in North American iPhone sales. Apple CEO Tim Cook blamed changes in carrier policies for the North American sales drop.

www.businessinsider.com/apple-q1-earnings-2014-1#ixzz2uRzB6bI7

It amazes me that any negative truth about Apple people think you have invented it :o:D

This competition is terrible for Apple's business. Hence all the legal action against Android >:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So if someone happens to like and prefer Apple products, it is, in your mind, perfectly acceptable to refer to them as an iSheep? And it doesn't strike you as remotely pathetic?

I think Stiggles is referring to Ewe :p:D

Still if the woolly hat fits, wear it :D
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    And I'm always impressed at your ability to reply to posts, and yet say precisely nothing.

Either that or you invent something completely different ;-)
    Forum Member

I see what you did there :D
    Forum Member
    That's truly priceless! If you can't see the double standard there that's literally unbelievable.

There are people who DO prefer apple products, and that's absolutely fine. The problem is, most people do prefer a certain device but don't harp on about it. Then you have people like yourself who will not have a word said against apple and will sit on here for months on the same thread defending them to the hilt, and then other apple users who make up complete lies about other devices for the sake of a pathetic attempt to put apple on a pedestal it doesn't deserve!
    People having personal preferences is a perfectly normal thing - I find it bizarre that, in the case of Apple in particular, people seem to feel the need to dress it up and use unnecessarily colourful language like "refuse to think any device is better than their beloved". It strikes me that some people just seem to have difficulty in accepting that other people don't share their preferences.

Indeed it is a perfectly normal thing. I never once said it wasn't.

Don't you find it odd though, that's its only some apple users who have this tag labelled on them? I have never (and I'm being truthful here) met a Samsung user, or LG user, or Sony user who will sit there and completely rubbish another device of any sort or question as to why they didn't get an iphone. Some do say they don't like a device, or they find one lacking features etc.

The apple users i personally know are a nightmare. I was questioned by one as to why i bought my Nexus 5. The others just glared at it. They couldn't understand why i didn't buy an iphone. We have people on here that do the same! I would never dream of doing that!!

It's the smugness of apple users that think they are above everyone else that pisses people off.

My take on it is this. Apple did push the boat out for smartphones. I would however say that, if apple didn't do what they did, someone else would have anyway. The problem is now, apple have been surpassed many times over. They still make good phones. Of that there is no doubt, but there are better. Much better.
    It pretty much is - if its all down to marketing, and people only buy Apple products because of the marketing, then why don't Apple sell as many Apple TVs as they sell iPads? Answer - because the argument is nonsense.

Because they don't advertise the Apple TV...

Plus, it's only of any real use when jailbroken!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are people who DO prefer apple products, and that's absolutely fine. The problem is, most people do prefer a certain device but don't harp on about it. Then you have people like yourself who will not have a word said against apple and will sit on here for months on the same thread defending them to the hilt, and then other apple users who make up complete lies about other devices for the sake of a pathetic attempt to put apple on a pedestal it doesn't deserve!

I think you're definition of "defending them to the hilt" is a bit ropey to be honest. I don't see how me saying that my preference for a screen that, in my opinion, becomes too cumbersome to use with one hand, or the recent discussion about screen resolution could possibly be described as "defending Apple" let alone defending them "to the hilt"

That seems to be a common theme - if someone expresses an opinion you or others don't happen to share, for some strange reason you interpret that as "defending Apple to the hilt".
    Indeed it is a perfectly normal thing. I never once said it wasn't.

Don't you find it odd though, that's its only some apple users who have this tag labelled on them? I have never (and I'm being truthful here) met a Samsung user, or LG user, or Sony user who will sit there and completely rubbish another device of any sort or question as to why they didn't get an iphone. Some do say they don't like a device, or they find one lacking features etc.

The apple users i personally know are a nightmare. I was questioned by one as to why i bought my Nexus 5. The others just glared at it. They couldn't understand why i didn't buy an iphone. We have people on here that do the same! I would never dream of doing that!!

Oh I don't know - I can't recall who said exactly what, but I have frequently had that exact impression reading these forums, i.e. people not being able to understand why people do buy iPhones. If only they knew what they were missing! If only they weren't taken in by Apple!! If they hadn't been they would never have bought one!!! The extent of the disbelief is where the whole term iSheep came from.
    It's the smugness of apple users that think they are above everyone else that pisses people off.

There's that sweeping generalisation thing again. If its true of a proportion of Apple users, then its equally true of a proportion of non Apple users, bizarrely smug in the fact that they don't like Apple products.
    My take on it is this. Apple did push the boat out for smartphones. I would however say that, if apple didn't do what they did, someone else would have anyway. The problem is now, apple have been surpassed many times over. They still make good phones. Of that there is no doubt, but there are better. Much better.[/QUOTE}

Maybe in terms of raw spec, but any given individual they're own particular requirements and preferences will play a part in what device they consider best for them.
    Because they don't advertise the Apple TV...

Plus, it's only of any real use when jailbroken!

The 5C then - they advertised that.

Or to spin it on its head - do you think the Galaxy phones would have sold as well were it not for Samsung's marketing of them?

Or is that different?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Still if the woolly hat fits, wear it :D

Based on what?

The fact that I don't have a preference for a larger screen that I'd find uncomfortable to use with one hand?

The fact that I think that the iPhone's screen is of a high enough resolution not to look pixellated?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apple may be sitting on as many as three million unsold units of its little-loved iPhone 5c, according to reports from the Taiwanese electronics manufacturing industry.

The supply-chain sleuths at DigiTimes claim that around one million units of Cupertino's plasticky handset are sitting on telecom carriers' and distributors' shelves, while another two million are warehoused at the manufacturer, Pegatron Technology.

Apple CEO Tim Cook has defended the high price tags of fruity mobes, saying Cupertino is "not in the junk business" and that it "never had an objective to sell a low-cost phone." Still, Apple reportedly reduced production of the iPhone 5c in advance of the 2013 holiday season and Foxconn quit building them altogether, suggesting that sales have been even worse than previously thought.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/03/06/apple_3_million_unsold_iphone_5c/
    Forum Member
    Yep I have seen the 5c now on offer for low twenties with no upfront cost, desperate times call for desperate measures. Even with 3 million gathering dust I doubt some will admit what an epic failure this phone has been.

I wonder if they could build some sort of multi coloured apple world with all these phones, I know several people who would definitely visit :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know why so many of you care that the 5C was a flop. Your devices are all ugly Samsungs probably.
    Forum Member
    I don't know why so many of you care that the 5C was a flop. Your devices are all ugly Samsungs probably.

Someone's getting annoyed!! You clearly have a 5C don't you?!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've made one comment on the matter.

I just don't know why people keep going around in circles.
  • wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Latest report on 5C from The Register:

"Apple may be sitting on as many as three million unsold units of its little-loved iPhone 5c, according to reports from the Taiwanese electronics manufacturing industry.

The supply-chain sleuths at DigiTimes claim that around one million units of Cupertino's plasticky handset are sitting on telecom carriers' and distributors' shelves, while another two million are warehoused at the manufacturer, Pegatron Technology.

Demand for the iPhone 5c has not been as strong as the demand for its blinged-out brother, the iPhone 5s – or, for that matter, the older-generation iPhone 4s.

DigiTimes' sources pin most of the blame for that on the iPhone 5c's higher-than-expected price. When the plastic-shelled device was first announced, many analysts assumed it would be a bargain-basement mobe for developing markets. In fact, the cheapest iPhone 5c retails in the US for $549 without subsidies, which is hardly competitive with the glut of cheap Android phones."

Full Story: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/03/06/apple_3_million_unsold_iphone_5c/
  • clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A little context behind that 3 million figure ...

Apparently it counts for 3 weeks stock. Apple normally only keep one weeks stock of any device.
    Forum Member
    Sales upon release were little better than that so this 6 months on is clearly apples over inflated sales residue.
    Forum Member

Good lord what does that make the monstrosity that is the 5c then :o
    I've made one comment on the matter.
    I just don't know why people keep going around in circles.

What circles most of us know it is a flop ;-)
  • mizhogmizhog Posts: 970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i love my 5c. bought it recently from ebay brand new £310. so glad i sold my note
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    mizhog wrote: »
    i love my 5c. bought it recently from ebay brand new £310. so glad i sold my note

What made you get the 5C over a 5S?
  • jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that if I was going to buy another iPhone, I'd have actually looked seriously at the 5C if it had been the same spec as the 5S and simply in a more colourful case.

The fact it's not the latest spec puts me off, although clearly the ridiculous price is what has put others off (well a combination of the two, leading people to get the 5S instead).

Still, every company is entitled to make a mistake and I doubt it's going to do Apple any long term damage. Problem is, even if Apple suddenly slashed the price, it would still be an outdated model to me - so I'd still not buy (well, unless it was stupidly cheap as in Moto G cheap and that's not going to happen!).
  • mizhogmizhog Posts: 970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    What made you get the 5C over a 5S?

didnt feel i needed the extra bits the 5s has and i like the design better
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quite like the look of the new ZTE Blade V design.

Same size screen, a tiny bit larger with the better battery yet a competitive alternative.
    More compact(smaller battery) like the 5c there is also the Blade Q Mini.