Overrated Video Games

13»

Comments

• Options
    seanfseanf Posts: 3,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ags_rule wrote: »
    With the hotel basement level aside, I really didn't find The Last of Us a difficult or overly frustrating experience at all.

What difficulty did you have it on? I found normal to be a walk in the park, but survival was frustrating due to lack of ammo,
    Its added enough discussion for a page 2.

I agree about TLOU, the clickers were a terrible design gameplay wise. No defence against them? Terrible design.

Once you upgrade your shiv, or was it find a book? any way there is an upgrade / perk that allows you to fight them off better. I also found that an arrow to their head works well, silent, one shot kill and 90 % chance of the arrow being able to be picked up after.
  • Options
    hunter23hunter23 Posts: 3,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seanf wrote: »
    What difficulty did you have it on? I found normal to be a walk in the park, but survival was frustrating due to lack of ammo,

Once you upgrade your shiv, or was it find a book? any way there is an upgrade / perk that allows you to fight them off better. I also found that an arrow to their head works well, silent, one shot kill and 90 % chance of the arrow being able to be picked up after.

if they found clickers a bad thing in tlou then there is something wrong with the player. clickers put that fear into the game. knowing you can die by one hit from them is enough.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hunter23 wrote: »
    if they found clickers a bad thing in tlou then there is something wrong with the player. clickers put that fear into the game. knowing you can die by one hit from them is enough.

And without them the game could quite easily become a run and gun, the worst section for me was the start of the school I had no arrows a few shot gun shells, around 6 9mm rounds and no shivs, I had to take it very slow as not to alert the clicker and sneak up on the runners while they were in the sort of dormant state, and it was on survival mode took me an hour to do that bit. Anyone that says the game is not difficult haven't played on survival mode.
  • Options
    Will_BennettsWill_Bennetts Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Halo, call of duty FIFA , little big planet , fallout.
  • Options
    ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And without them the game could quite easily become a run and gun, the worst section for me was the start of the school I had no arrows a few shot gun shells, around 6 9mm rounds and no shivs, I had to take it very slow as not to alert the clicker and sneak up on the runners while they were in the sort of dormant state, and it was on survival mode took me an hour to do that bit. Anyone that says the game is not difficult haven't played on survival mode.

BIB - a ridiculous statement to make. Of course a game is going to be difficult when you play it on the hardest mode. That's the point of it!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BIB - a ridiculous statement to make. Of course a game is going to be difficult when you play it on the hardest mode. That's the point of it!

You said the game is not difficult, and I pointed out if you increase the difficulty it becomes quite difficult, you have to think alot more about how to approach the section ahead.
    Also survival is not the hardest difficulty.

but in this post you said
    With the hotel basement level aside, I really didn't find The Last of Us a difficult or overly frustrating experience at all.

I am not blowing my own trumpet and saying I'm a great gamer because I find constant sources of frustration in COD, FIFA...heck, even inFamous Second Son I found one of the hardest games I've ever played.

But The Last of Us didn't even register on my radar for difficulty. Once you knew the mechanics and the rules, and had a bit of patience, it was easy enough to get to grips with.

and ive said on survival it is difficult so not that ridiculous, you saying the game is easy when obviously you hadn't done it on any harder than normal is a ridiculous comment.
  • Options
    ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    and ive said on survival it is difficult so not that ridiculous, you saying the game is easy when obviously you hadn't done it on any harder than normal is a ridiculous comment.

In other words I made a statement that a game was not overly difficult based on the experience of playing it on the Normal difficulty setting - the setting that most people will play it on. So I apologise, in future I will play every game on Hard or Insane difficulty first before making a comment about how easy/hard it is.

Do you honestly think the people complaining about the difficulty in TLOU were playing on anything above Normal? If you're playing on Survivor and complaining about it being too difficult I think you've totally missed the point of higher difficulty settings.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In other words I made a statement that a game was not overly difficult based on the experience of playing it on the Normal difficulty setting - the setting that most people will play it on. So I apologise, in future I will play every game on Hard or Insane difficulty first before making a comment about how easy/hard it is.

Do you honestly think the people complaining about the difficulty in TLOU were playing on anything above Normal? If you're playing on Survivor and complaining about it being too difficult I think you've totally missed the point of higher difficulty settings.

Bloody hell and I thought I wad argumentative, Did I complain? No I made a statement yes its hard but I completed it, if you can't its no big deal. Yes on easy the game is easy you were the one saying how easy the game is that's the idea of easy difficulty. The main thing is did you enjoy the game. The only person that has complained here is you.
  • Options
    HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course a game is going to be difficult when you play it on the hardest mode. That's the point of it!

Sadly that's rarely the case, the hardest setting these days often just makes the game 'not as easy' rather than actually making it difficult.
  • Options
    brbbrb Posts: 27,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watch Dogs. Repetitive, boring... honestly don't see the attraction to it. The world was beautiful, though. I just think it was badly executed.
  • Options
    Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brb wrote: »
    Watch Dogs. Repetitive, boring... honestly don't see the attraction to it. The world was beautiful, though. I just think it was badly executed.

As established within the thread, Watchdogs is not overrated because it received several 7/10 reviews and the general impression from gaming audiences were mixed.
  • Options
    brbbrb Posts: 27,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Naa_KwaKai wrote: »
    As established within the thread, Watchdogs is not overrated because it received several 7/10 reviews and the general impression from gaming audiences were mixed.

I'd say it receiving "several 7/10 reviews" would still be overrated ;D On Metacritic, it's sitting at closer to 8/10, anyway.
  • Options
    HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brb wrote: »
    I'd say it receiving "several 7/10 reviews" would still be overrated ;D On Metacritic, it's sitting at closer to 8/10, anyway.

Over hyped seem more appropriate for Watchdogs. It has had a lot of negative comments since release.
  • Options
    Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotbird wrote: »
    Over hyped seem more appropriate for Watchdogs. It has had a lot of negative comments since release.

Yeah, it was definitely over hyped I would say and hence many people's shattered expectations. A lot of people thought it was going to be a dark and gritter version of Grand Theft Auto 5 - which it is to an extent but it's also not as clever...
  • Options
    Colonel_JasperColonel_Jasper Posts: 1,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RingoJ739K wrote: »
    I've already alerted this thread for a merge with the other thread.

One game I'd like to mention here is Sonic Colors.

Very overrated. Many people thought it was "the best 3D Sonic game in years" but I completely disagree with those statements. I never really understood the hype. I thought it was a huge step down in terms of what was brought in Sonic Unleashed which i thought was far superior. The daytime stages weren't satisfying in the slightest. It also had 90% of 2D gameplay which was horribly unbalanced and the small 3D segments weren't handled very well either. I also thought the platforming was very blocky and poorly paced. The wisp gimmick wasn't very interesting either and only worked decently in the 2D sections. There was also too much automation and this was the start of Mario elements entering Sonic which I really didn't like. The game as a whole is very boring and uninteresting in terms of both gameplay and story. I have never gone back to playing this game. There was honestly nothing exciting or special about this game at all. I consider it to be below average at best. Definitely one of my least favourite Sonic titles.

Thank you for mentioning this.

don't understand the hype about this game either. I ended up selling it after I finished because it was mainly based on nostalgia and SEGA was blatantly playing it safe. A very uninteresting and subpar game with poor quality. I don't think it should even count as 3D Sonic game since there's 90% of 2D in the game. I always go back to my favourite Sonic games though and those are the Adventure games and Heroes.

It's a shame they won't give the Adventure gameplay another try. I hope someday they come back to developing it but it seems like they're too scared to give it a go after they rushed Sonic 06 but that should be a reminder for them not to rush potential. Start again and develop from the Adventure formula. I've had enough of the blend of 2D and 3D that we've had in below average titles such as Colors, Generations and Lost World which was an awful game. I want a Sonic game in a full 3D perspective this time. They just need to stop playing it safe, relying on nostalgia and move on.