Options

TV Reviews Dead?

gkmaccagkmacca Posts: 9,386
Forum Member
Anyone see this in The Guardian today?

'Jaci Stephen, the ebullient and highly readable television critic, has been dropped by the Mail on Sunday.

Her last column will appear on Sunday, December 23. Stephen said today that the paper's editor, Peter Wright, has decided to follow the path of Associated Newspapers' sister title the Daily Mail, which dropped its TV review column last year.

Stephen was told of the decision earlier this month. The paper is in the process of revamping its review section and has decided that in the multichannel age people no longer watch a narrow range of programmes.

She added that, while she still feels a strong loyalty to the paper, the decision is wrong. "I think television still needs reviewing. it is still the most important medium in the arts," Stephen said.

"But I think television reviewing needs reinventing. Newspapers haven't changed their approach: they need to keep up with the times. However people are still talking about the main shows, whether they are The X Factor, Strictly Come Dancing, Spooks or Cranford."

Wright said: "I've worked with Jaci Stephen for 20 years. She is a brilliant TV reviewer, but TV has changed and in a multichannel age I'm afraid I just don't think reviews have the appeal they had in the past."

Stephen will continue to write her column on the soaps for the Saturday edition of the Daily Mail. She is also in demand as a features writer, recently contributing a heartwarming piece about reaching the age of 50 for Femail.

She has worked under contract for Associated Newspapers' titles since 1988, and is one of the most high profile of its stable of writers.

The Daily Mail dropped its TV review column in August last year, when the paper's long serving TV critic, Peter Paterson, retired after 20 years in the job.'

Now, taking Jaci Stephen out of the equation - who has always struck me as an embarrassment - what on earth are newspaper editors up to? We're still living in an age when most people don't watch 100 channels every day. We're still drawn to the likes of Life on Mars, Sopranos, the Saturday night shows, etc etc as a mainstream audience. And, anyway, what is wrong with critics selecting good TV to discuss? More books are published today than ever before, but no one questions the book reviews. It strikes me as bizarre to consign TV criticism to the past on the grounds that not all of us might be watching the four terrestrial channels.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,715
    Forum Member
    I think there is still a place for it, but I must admit I am less bothered in the days of multi channel. It used to be there was a 1in 4 chance you saw whatever was being reviewed and so you'd read the review to see someone else's perspective.

Now I think there's so much on, I'll choose whatever I fancy, and to be honest there is less time to read about it, if the box is on. If you don't like a programme you can choose another asap.

I never read Kevin Sullivan, Ally Ross, Ian Hyland, Grace Dent, Nancy Banks Smith, Garry Bushell etc etc anymore. The only reviewer I read is Brooker, which is nice and succinct once a week.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    But I don't always go to the theatre to see the plays reviewed, but I like to know what ones struck someone as good, bad or mediocre. Just like people read things on here they may not have watched - at least yet. The likes of Clive James, Nancy Banks-Smith and others were entertaining in their own right - and they improved the profile of TV across the rest of the media. It's perverse to phase the covereage out now.
  • Options
    maycontainnutsmaycontainnuts Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    frankly I'm glad she's been dropped- her reviews were a load of rubbish IMO however I think TV reviews are still a very popular read in most papers so I'm surprised they've dropped the feature. I mean are TV programmes not more rellevant to most readers across the country than some obscure play in a london theatre. No doubt they'll continue to review them
  • Options
    FuturespectFuturespect Posts: 847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I mean are TV programmes not more rellevant to most readers across the country than some obscure play in a london theatre.
    Yes, but it's theatre which needs viewer encouragement the most. People watch telly regardless.

I'm a very selective viewer, so I wouldn't watch hardly anything without reviews or prior knowledge. Although this event is no great loss.

I find Charlie Brooker has a fairly similar taste to me (although I hope he only watches reality TV because he's paid to). So I use his recommendations along with those of other internet places. I think there's an argument that print reviews are outdated.
  • Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    Ally Ross and Charlie Brooker are compulsive reading. whether you've watched the programmes or not.
  • Options
    JethroUKJethroUK Posts: 6,107
    Forum Member
    The problem with reviews and critics is that is merely their opinion - by that i mean there is no definition of a 'good' film (only one that 'someone' likes) e.g.

i remember the first film critic for 'TV Quick' gave 5 stars to a Japanese film made in 1936 in black & white with subtitles

i can only say that 'I' would have hated it - so the review was worthless to 'me'

this same critic gave blockbuster 'E.T.' TV premiere 3 stars - what a sap

It was at this point when I realised it was a worthless opinion and the only worthwhile method of review would be include a list of their top ten favourite films

This way you can see whether 'they' have the same taste as 'yourself' in films - only then making their review pertinent to yourself

• Options
    KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In these days of VoD, I would have thought reviews were more important than ever. A number of times recently, I've read a review on media guardian of something I missed and thought "yeah, that sounds interesting" and I've watched it on iPlayer or 4oD...

K
  • Options
    Forum Member
    JethroUK wrote: »
    The problem with reviews and critics is that is merely their opinion - by that i mean there is no definition of a 'good' film (only one that 'someone' likes) e.g.

i remember the first film critic for 'TV Quick' gave 5 stars to a Japanese film made in 1936 in black & white with subtitles

i can only say that 'I' would have hated it - so the review was worthless to 'me'

this same critic gave blockbuster 'E.T.' TV premiere 3 stars - what a sap

It was at this point when I realised it was a worthless opinion and the only worthwhile method of review would be include a list of their top ten favourite films

This way you can see whether 'they' have the same taste as 'yourself' in films - only then making their review pertinent to yourself

There's no need to embrace relativism. We can agree on something being a well-made programme without needing to agree we all liked it. Someone might not like soaps but could still evaluate the standard of acting and writing. This idea that all reviews are merely 'worthless opinions' is just a confusion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    gkmacca wrote: »
    There's no need to embrace relativism.......

There is
    ...We can agree on something being a well-made programme without needing to agree we all liked it.......

Nobody, but nobody wants to know how 'well-made' a film is (except another critic) - they want to know if it is 'good' (will they like ito 'Watch it')
    Someone might not like soaps but could still evaluate the standard of acting and writing.....

No they can't - This comes straight from the critics (film/music/art) formula that:

Hard to make (this was shot underwater on a camel) = Good

It doesn't!
    ... This idea that all reviews are merely 'worthless opinions' is just a confusion....

they are

and the idea that anybody is remotely interested in how 'well-made' a piece of art is, as opposed to whether it's good - is truly absurd

what does not suprise me - living in a world where Reebok could skin-wrap dog turds and sell them for $50 peice is - some people clearly don't have an opinion at all and 'need' someone else to tell 'them' what 'they' like - which is equally even more absurd

• Options
    The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikw wrote: »
    Ally Ross and Charlie Brooker are compulsive reading. whether you've watched the programmes or not.

Yup. Stephen was a dreadful old hag who seemed to spend her reviews swooning over the leading men:yawn: There is definetly still a place for Ally Ross & Brooker, who offer an often hilarious pastiche of the recent TV schedules.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    JethroUK wrote: »
    There is

Nobody, but nobody wants to know how 'well-made' a film is (except another critic) - they want to know if it is 'good' (will they like ito 'Watch it')

No they can't - This comes straight from the critics (film/music/art) formula that:

Hard to make (this was shot underwater on a camel) = Good

It doesn't!

they are

and the idea that anybody is remotely interested in how 'well-made' a piece of art is, as opposed to whether it's good - is truly absurd

what does not suprise me - living in a world where Reebok could skin-wrap dog turds and sell them for $50 peice is - some people clearly don't have an opinion at all and 'need' someone else to tell 'them' what 'they' like - which is equally even more absurd

You speak for everyone. Badly. Not very relativistic. IMHO. (Funny, though, how you relativists are the most authoritarian in your assertions!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I suppose you could tell us all

Who might be vaguely interested in how well a film (peice of art) is made (an objective view) and at the same time not interested whether it's good/bad to see - apart from another critic

nobody!

which probably answers the question why 'TV Reviews Dead?'