Radio 2 New Weekend Schedule

13»

Comments

• Andy CarltonAndy Carlton Posts: 4,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FM Lover wrote: »
    If, like me, you heard the brief conversation between Dermot O'Leary & Paul Gambacinni yesterday at 6.30pm Paul asked Dermot if they'd (assumingly being Radio 2 bosses) announced the new schedules yet. Dermot didn't know and Paul's reply was to congratulate Dermot and said that he'd "see him in April".

I can only assume we are going to get a new look Saturday schedule to coincide with the new Sunday line-up to mark Michael Ball's new show which starts next month.

Any ideas anyone ?

A great shame they can't bring back the 'Saturday Sequence' (or was it the 'stereo sequence') if anyone remembers it on Radio 1 back in the 80's?
  • Andy CarltonAndy Carlton Posts: 4,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Precisely. Look at Annie Nightingale; she's 66 this year yet no way near over-the-hill! :cool:

Bloody hell...66! I listened to her in the 80's on Radio 1 after the Top 40 but i would never have known she was 66! (makes ME feel old)

I thought she would be in her early 50's now..but 66? - amazing!

Look at Tim Westwood...he is in his 50's and he does a hip-hop/rap show and i was amazed when i found out his age though.

Well...much appreciation for Annie Nightingale who (without doubt) is a legend on national radio and the rate she's going she will still be at it when she's 76...and why not if she's got the support of her loyal fans! :p
  • grasshopergrasshoper Posts: 479
    Forum Member
    Bloody hell...66! I listened to her in the 80's on Radio 1 after the Top 40 but i would never have known she was 66! (makes ME feel old)

Look at Tim Westwood...he is in his 50's and he does a hip-hop/rap show and i was amazed when i found out his age though.

Well...much appreciation for Annie Nightingale who (without doubt) is a legend on national radio and the rate she's going she will still be at it when she's 76...and why not if she's got the support of her loyal fans! :p
    Why not,Terry Wogan must be 102 !!
  • occyoccy Posts: 65,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A great shame they can't bring back the 'Saturday Sequence' (or was it the 'stereo sequence') if anyone remembers it on Radio 1 back in the 80's?

Oh yes, with the late Roger Scott then Richard Skinner took over. Dermot show is fine as it is.
  • SpotSpot Posts: 25,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    Oh yes, with the late Roger Scott then Richard Skinner took over. Dermot show is fine as it is.

..and Johnnie Walker who started it, after his ten and a half years 'in exile'. :)
  • SpotSpot Posts: 25,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

She'll be 67 in a few weeks - April 1st in fact. (and that really is her birthday! :D)

Some of us remember her from a lot longer ago than the 1980s, and in fact the mention of Terry Wogan is a reminder that he regularly used to hand over to Annie (though she was just Anne in those days!) when he was on Radio 1 in the afternoons, and she did 'What's New' between 5 and 6.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spot wrote: »
    ..and Johnnie Walker who started it, after his ten and a half years 'in exile'. :)

Being a relative youngster, that was my first introduction to JW. I loved the music he played and it really changed my outlook on music radio. Wonderful stuff.

Dermot O'Leary is pretty poor if you ask me. I'm sure Radio 2 could do better, I wish they'd improve certain parts of their schedule which really seem to be lacking currently.
  • spannersspanners Posts: 974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spot wrote: »
    She'll be 67 in a few weeks - April 1st in fact. (and that really is her birthday! :D)

Some of us remember her from a lot longer ago than the 1980s, and in fact the mention of Terry Wogan is a reminder that he regularly used to hand over to Annie (though she was just Anne in those days!) when he was on Radio 1 in the afternoons, and she did 'What's New' between 5 and 6.

Also did the "W1A 1AA" show on Sunday afternoons in the seventies.
  • Peter HendersonPeter Henderson Posts: 1,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many listeners who tune into Steve Wright, Chris Evans, Russell Brand, Bob Harris, Dermot O' Leary, Johnnie Walker, and Radcliffe and Maconie, aren't necessarily going to tune into Friday Night is Music Night, Desmond Carrington, Melodies for You and David Jacobs. I don't like the way some parts of the Radio 2 schedule are cool, yet other parts are boring and depressing.

I agree entirely and I've been saying this for ages. I switch off when I hear the latter. Definitely, bring back Annie Nightingale though. An excellent broadcaster.

As for Brand, I can't stand the pillock. His shows are infintile and completely devoid of humour. How he passes for a comedien is beyond me. I have tried to listen, I really have. Half an hour was all that I could stomach. I dunno, maybe there's something wrong with me, but try as I might, i just don't get it. I cannot see anything remotely funny about this guy.

Still, I hope they don't bother with Dale Winton. Pick of the pops is one of my favourite shows. Dale was never going to be as good as the late great Fluff but who could fill a legend's shoes ? Dale does a decent job though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would it be a good idea for the BBC to consider bringing back the Light programme.
    After all,it's not like the situation,in the 1960's,were there was only offshore pirate radio,to cater for pop music fans. The BBC are in the best position todo this,as they can ride the financial risk,unlike commercial Radio.
  • Peter HendersonPeter Henderson Posts: 1,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would it be a good idea for the BBC to consider bringing back the Light programme.

Bring back the old Radio One for us inbetweenies. :D
  • Mr RigsbyMr Rigsby Posts: 2,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are going to be some changes next month. Paul O'Grady announced last week that he is going to present a permanent slot on the network from April (presumably a weekend slot).

Paul was not able to give any specific details which slot he is going to present, though I suspect it will be a Sunday slot. Maybe he is replacing Sunday Love Songs?

I do wish the Radio 2 bosses would sort out the weekend schedule, though. I tend to dip in and out of Radio 2 at the weekends these days, especially on Sundays as the schedule is all over the place.