Kindle Paperwhite UK Release

Comments

• alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    wakey wrote: »
    I'm calling bullshit on either this claim or your claim you used Supersaver. If it arrived today then you paid for 1st Class as only the ones where 1st Class was paid for have arrived to anyone I know. No-one who used Supersaver has theirs and this includes 2 orders in this house 1 that postage was paid and its arrived and 1 on Supersaver that hasn't

You don't know - you are just using your experience and expecting no one else to have received theirs either if they used SuperSaver delivery.
  • wakeywakey Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would say she is not lying. There are plenty of people on the kindle forums over at amazon.co.uk who also used supersaver delivery and had theirs delivered today.

Seems a little strange does it not that she has never received a package the day after shipping from Amazon before as she stated on another thread and then then just so happens to have got hers that way on this item. An item she has already posted about taking a different stance to what she has elsewhere. She is nothing but a WUM

As she said before why would Amazon send out items on supersaver in the same manner as those who paid for postage and thats when many of us were trying to tell her that our experience was that supersaver items were often sent 1st class but took a couple of days extra to be dispatched from Amazon.

Its equally odd that I DO often get Supersaver items sent 1st class (juts with a delay on them being sent out with people ordering hours after me having their item dispacthed hours after order while I wait a day or two) but the Paperwhite I had sent on Supersaver didnt arrive
  • lukemholllukemholl Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    Mine was shipped Supersaver and it arrived today!
    Very impressed, but kinda surprised that Amazon sent a £109 item by second class Royal Mail, but still... It's here so can't complain :-)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Caveman643 wrote: »
    Royal Mail have let me down. Mine didn't arrive :cry: I'm an Amazon Prime customer as well so it should have been with me today. I'm sure I'll survive without it for one more day.

I used super saver, it was sent along with 4 other items I ordered, so the totaly value of the package was over 200 quid and it came by standard first class, not even signed for.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would say she is not lying. There are plenty of people on the kindle forums over at amazon.co.uk who also used supersaver delivery and had theirs delivered today.

That user you replied to is a troll, they follow me around writing posts like this all over the place, ignore them.
    See my post above it was sent combined with some other orders (all super saver), not even signed for:eek: and was upgraded to first class for what reason, I dont know, guess the value of the items in the package, its anyones guess.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That user you replied to is a troll, they follow me around writing posts like this all over the place, ignore them.
    See my post above it was sent combined with some other orders (all super saver), not even signed for:eek: and was upgraded to first class for what reason, I dont know, guess the value of the items in the package, its anyones guess.

I'm glad you got your kindle today:) Yea it is shocking that amazon would send the kindle in the regular post but they did that when I got my kindle keyboard back in 2010 so I guess nothing has changed!
  • wakeywakey Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Lol me a Troll. Apart from this thread the only posts I have replied to you are your ridiculous anti BD posts in the movie forums and those could only be considered trolling if trolling means "Posting informed posts with evidence in a reasonable and structured manner"

And I only posted here because your first post here was your talking about how you used Supersaver as Amazon would send it 1st class anyway so you would almost certainly get it on release day. This around 24 hours after repeatedly telling us that Amazon didn't send any supersaver packages 1st class ever and telling another user that Supersaver was no good for pre orders if you wanted the item on release day.

And even on this thread you couldn't prevent yourself going on another of your rants about companies when you were critical of Amazon not having enough PW's so as not to run out of preorders as if they ran out in 5 minutes. You don't stock what you cant sell so you have as many as your best information predicts you will need, sometimes thats too many and sometimes it too little but its better not being able to satisfy the demand by a little bit (And it was only a little bit as pre orders were only exhausted about a week ago)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mandark wrote: »
    Got my paper white. Such a neat ooking little device! :) I connected it to my wifi. Once connected, it automatically identified who I was without me having to log into my Amazon/Kindle account. So it was preset for me in the factory then. Interesting!!

What they do is link your account by your kindles serial number on the box then when you set up your wi-fi it auto connects to amazon to complete the registration automically. They dont do nothing physically to the actual kindle to link it to you.

My paperwhite was already set up on my "manage kindle" page on the amazon website on Wednesday morning even before it was dispatched.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm glad you got your kindle today:) Yea it is shocking that amazon would send the kindle in the regular post but they did that when I got my kindle keyboard back in 2010 so I guess nothing has changed!

I thought it would come by signed for carrier especially as they sent other things in the same parcel and the total value being fairly high, assume mine got upgraded to first due to the value of the total parcel, guess they dont want 200 quid sitting around in the royal mail system for 4-5 days if they sent it by second class.

Its very rare for supersaver to be upgraded, its a first for me, but not complaining and considering the amount of money I spend with this each year then I was due a decent service! It also meant that the other 4 items that I ordered were sent next day as well, so it was a win win all round.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well gave mine a run out today and fairly pleased, its a lot smoother on the page turns and even the refresh every 6 pages is not as noticeable as before. Not sure I like the fonts, some look washed out against the backlight and they have removed a few as well.

The backlight is pretty good, the shadows at the bottom of the screen look naff but you soon get use to them.
    I think where the backlight will be benifical to me is in the day when its a dull day, having a bit of backlight will make it so much easier to use.

Not seen any coloured patches or anything, my backlight looks very uniform apart from the bottom where the LED lights are.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I received mine today. Supersaver delivery, had been pushed through my letter box.
    After reading the reviews I was expecting to be disappointed and although the screen is a little bit "patchy" it's a huge improvement on a reading light.
    My old one is a keyboard one so this is really small and light in comparison.
    Will definitely be keeping it.
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,930
    Forum Member
    What they do is link your account by your kindles serial number on the box then when you set up your wi-fi it auto connects to amazon to complete the registration automically. They dont do nothing physically to the actual kindle to link it to you.

My paperwhite was already set up on my "manage kindle" page on the amazon website on Wednesday morning even before it was dispatched.
    Ah right thanks! :)
  • Caveman643Caveman643 Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    Mine arrived this morning. I'm well happy with it. No problems with the screen like other people have mentioned. The darker patches at the bottom are there if I really look for them. In normal reading I don't notice the patches at all. Other than that the screen is spot on. It sure makes me Kindle 2 look a big old clunky thing.

One issue I did have was getting it to find my wi-fi. Eventually I tracked the problem down to my router was broadcasting on channel 13 (set to auto). Once I set this to channel 11 the Kindle found the wireless network name immediately. So all up and running now. :D
  • dadioflexdadioflex Posts: 1,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got mine and the stupidly expensive fancy case that I couldn't resist. It's literally night and day next to my Keyboard Kindle. Major downside now is that reading off the old Kindle in work feels second class.
  • andallthatjazzandallthatjazz Posts: 6,413
    Forum Member
    Stupid question maybe but want to know if my archived items can be automatically transferred to the new Kindle Paperwhite?
  • Caveman643Caveman643 Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    Stupid question maybe but want to know if my archived items can be automatically transferred to the new Kindle Paperwhite?

They don't come down automatically. You have to select the cloud option on the Paperwhite then tap to download the items from there.
  • andallthatjazzandallthatjazz Posts: 6,413
    Forum Member
    Caveman643 wrote: »
    They don't come down automatically. You have to select the cloud option on the Paperwhite then tap to download the items from there.

Thank you
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The question is how it looks in the dark. When there are other light sources, natural or artificial, they make any deficiences less obvious.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah well I lasted a week outside Amazon's walled garden but now I've caved in. The Kobo glo is all boxed up ready to be returned and I've got a paperwhite on reserve to pick up from waterstones tomorrow. I'm just too used to my kindle and couldn't get used to the kobo. Its a great bit of kit but its not for me sadly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've now had my paper white for a day.
    I think if I hadn't read all the negative reviews about the lighting I wouldn't have noticed the faults. The lights and dark patches at the bottom are really noticeable but don't impact on reading experience at all. I am also aware of the light throughout the page being slightly pinker or greener in places but again this doesn't detract from the reading experience.
    I particularly like how the lighting levels on the kindle is adjusted dependent on the room lighting.
    Overall I'm finding my reading experience much improved from my old keyboard kindle and would recommend the PW.
  • damoncdamonc Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    I reserved paperwhite last night at waterstones and picked up today. Cancelled amazon pre order not due until 26th Nov. just getting used to the touch screen after previously having the basic model but initial thoughts are I like and the light is good
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aly1 wrote: »
    I've now had my paper white for a day.
    I think if I hadn't read all the negative reviews about the lighting I wouldn't have noticed the faults. The lights and dark patches at the bottom are really noticeable but don't impact on reading experience at all. I am also aware of the light throughout the page being slightly pinker or greener in places but again this doesn't detract from the reading experience.I particularly like how the lighting levels on the kindle is adjusted dependent on the room lighting.
    Overall I'm finding my reading experience much improved from my old keyboard kindle and would recommend the PW.

I have not seen that at all, mine is just pure white, maybe some people see it, some dont.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have not seen that at all, mine is just pure white, maybe some people see it, some dont.

Maybe mine is slightly faulty then. I am looking really closely because of the other reviews but when I'm reading in very poor light it is definitely not even pure white throughout the page, there are slight differences in "whiteness" throughout the screen.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    Aly1 wrote: »
    there are slight differences in "whiteness" throughout the screen.

...as indeed, there can be on actual paper!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Picked my paperwhite up this morning. I've turned it on and had a look at the light in different lighting including in the dark. Overall I'm very pleased with it. It is not 100% evenly lit in the dark but I can only see it slightly (or maybe I can't) because I was looking for it. However I think I can only see it at the maximum setting and even at that setting it will not disturb me or effect my reading. At lower settings you can't see anything. I wouldn't need it at anywhere near the maximum setting even when I'm in bed. The lighted experience is much better than that of the Kobo glo. In comparision the Kobo looks backlit! The paperwhite just looks like white paper whereas the glo glows!

I'm glad I returned the Kobo and went for the the paperwhite.