David Bowie RIP

124»

Comments

• Options
    xynariaxynaria Posts: 24,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yorkiegal wrote: »
    I see Sky have moved Labyrinth from being free on demand, back into their Sky Store today. How respectful of them.

Believe in better..........

..................................................most things are better and less contemptuous than Sky...........
  • Options
    tortfeasortortfeasor Posts: 7,000
    Forum Member
    I had a late start today and didn't turn the TV or laptop on before I left the house.
    Heard Lulu's version of 'Man who Sold the World' on the radio driving in and then heard Ken Bruce and Jeremy Vine discussing that David had passed away.

I was, like everyone, just numbed by the news.

His music has been a very big part of my life. I played nothing but my cassette of 'The Singles Collection' on one holiday from getting on the plane to coming home on the plane.

Plan on watching the Ziggy Stardust DVD tonight.
  • Options
    TexAveryWolfTexAveryWolf Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just been down to the Brixton AladdinShrine.

Hundreds of revellers with the Sane-flash, singing Bowie hits. Well, the first verse anyway, cos most of them were born post-Let's Dance.... but stil moving, and a party for the Man who Sang The World.
  • Options
    foxy23foxy23 Posts: 4,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He deserves all this. So revolutionary. They do not make artists like this anymore!!!
  • Options
    livingdeadgirllivingdeadgirl Posts: 624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really sad, it was a terrible shock to wake up to. His legend will live on in all the awesome music he has left behind. RIP.
  • Options
    Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    foxy23 wrote: »
    He deserves all this. So revolutionary. They do not make artists like this anymore!!!

Couldn't agree more!
  • Options
    Aidan11Aidan11 Posts: 539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One day after his death the Official Charts are reporting that he has 9 singles and 14 albums in their respective charts up to now.
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aidan11 wrote: »
    One day after his death the Official Charts are reporting that he has 9 singles and 14 albums in their respective charts up to now.

Good hopefully new people are discovering his music
  • Options
    abigail1234abigail1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was in HMV today and they were playing his music on a loop and the same with the mall. What a bloody legend: to inspire stores and shopping centres to do that.

He even managed things exactly the way he wanted after his death - keeping his illness secret and releasing his album just 2 days before he died and then that shock announcement. There were no reports and photos of him as an old, sick man. He kept the legend alive to the very end and managed his profile to the very end, exactly how he had managed it all his life.

It's quite incredible, the more I think of it.
  • Options
    abigail1234abigail1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just listened to the title track on Space Oddity. Could have been released today.

David Bowie defined the word innovation when it comes to music.

He did, Moon Safari.
  • Options
    Ann_TennaAnn_Tenna Posts: 395
    Forum Member
    David Bowie was unique, so special.

I was blue all day yesterday. I feel terrible for Iman and his children. :(
  • Options
    Multimedia81Multimedia81 Posts: 83,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This came as a shock, as he had only just been in the news with his birthday on Friday and his new album. I already knew that I would like some of my favourite songs of his, such as Boys Keep Swinging and Fashion, for the rest if my life. Other songs of his such as Ashes to Ashes and Let's Dance will always be classics.
  • Options
    Nollaig79Nollaig79 Posts: 1,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deleted
  • Options
    VisitingVisiting Posts: 40,112
    Forum Member
    So sad, will never forget him, so versatile, so unique, a true icon , can't believe he is gone.

Rest in Peace, David Bowie :(
  • Options
    Rogana JoshRogana Josh Posts: 41,348
    Forum Member
    Lovely tribute at the end of the One Show 'Life On Mars' :cry:
  • Options
    davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    Lovely tribute at the end of the One Show 'Life On Mars' :cry:

I hated this rendition. It's popish and didn't sound right to me.
  • Options
    Rogana JoshRogana Josh Posts: 41,348
    Forum Member
    davor wrote: »
    I hated this rendition. It's popish and didn't sound right to me.

I personally would rather have heard his own version but that's the one they played, I actually love the one played by the Organist at the Kelvingrove Museum, Glasgow, on Monday. Its' on Youtube.
  • Options
    davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    I personally would rather have heard his own version but that's the one they played, I actually love the one played by the Organist at the Kelvingrove Museum, Glasgow, on Monday. Its' on Youtube.

I loved that one too. Heard it yesterday.
  • Options
    GoatyGoaty Posts: 7,776
    Forum Member
    Wonderful news

David Bowie's son announces he is to become a father on twitter.

http://www.itv.com/news/2016-02-11/david-bowies-son-duncan-jones-to-become-a-father/
  • Options
    SillyBoyBlueSillyBoyBlue Posts: 3,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Goaty wrote: »
    Wonderful news

http://www.itv.com/news/2016-02-11/david-bowies-son-duncan-jones-to-become-a-father/

Child of Tibet, you're a gift from the sun
    Reincarnation of one better man
    The homeward road is long
    You've left your prayers and song
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    Goaty wrote: »
    Wonderful news

I had a tear or two when I read that last night. Bittersweet.