Options

HDTV. Advice needed

Hi all! Thanks for coming to look. Here's the help I need:

==(1)==

I'm looking to buy an HDTV LCD that is under £600. It has to be between 17inches and 26inches and it must be UK PAL compatible. But it must be under £600. Now, I have found a few, but none have HDMI connectivity, which I'd really like to have. The only alternative is DVI-I but I'm not familiar with that. If going for DVI means a loss in quality, then I'd rather have HDMI. Although if they are the same, maybe. HDMI is a priority for me though.

==(2)==

Also, How does Component video (YPbPr, I think) compare with HDMI and DVI?

==(3)==

Also! What brand is the best for HD. I've been looking at Philips. Is there a better option?

======

Thanks for your help

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Under £600 and HD Ready gives you very few options.

DVI is the same quality as HDMI (both are digital), and you can convert between them, but DVI has no sound.

Component is an analogue connection, so technically should be lower quality.

On a £600 set you are unlikley to see any real difference.

With a budget that limited you are probably best looking outside the normal big brands.
  • Options
    meltcitymeltcity Posts: 2,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For a TV to be HD Ready it must have either DVI-HDCP or HDMI. A DVI-only LCD cannot be called HD Ready because it cannot decode copy protected AV signals.

If you're happy to shop online you can get a 26" HD-Ready LCD for around £600.

To get you started, try Froogle.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 485
    Forum Member
    According to analysts, you are actually very unlikely to experience any of the major picture improvements from HD with a set below 28" and at least 32" will be preferrential for the full experience.

I would therefore say it is not really worth paying the extra for an HDTV set. Indeed, I have a JVC 28" CRT which is HDTV 720 compatible and the difference in quality when using an HD source is very minute. Would not even bother paying the stupid amounts Sky would want for their SkyHD service to view slightly better quality TV (although it may be worth it for the DD5.1).

But maybe I notice very little difference because CRT is a far superior technology in terms of raw picture quality to LCD anyway?? Maybe the advantages of HD show better on LCD/Plasma?

:)
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Samsung make a Widescreen, HD Ready LCD 26" tv for £699 (shop price). Has 1 HDMI socket, plus a couple of regular scarts. Also has a built in freeview tuner, as well as analogue. HD pictures will still require an external device such as a HD-DVD player, Blue-Ray DVD player, or a HD Sky box from next year.

In the paper this morning was a Philips 26" HD Ready widescreen LCD tv, with DVI input. No built in freeview. Also £699, this time from Curry's.

Dave
  • Options
    Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    Dont be under the illusion that a 26" TV wont give you any improvement with HDTV feeds. Utter tosh. Sky's current service displayed on a 26" LCD TV (like my Sharp) shows up many many broadcast compression faults, those faults would be reduced if not eradicated on a HDTV feed. Thats the improvement SkyHD will give.

The minimum size HD compliant screen is 26". Thats the first thing you should know. There are no HD compliant screens on the market under 26" in size.

You dont NEED a DVI or HDMI socket to receive most if not all of the new SkyHD services, if thats what you are looking at. Sky have said themselves that most if not all of their HD line up will be viewable on a Component only HD screen. The only difference between HDMI and DVI is that HDMI carrys sound, Dolby Digital 5.1 sound at that.

There is NO image quality loss by using Component (analogue-digital) connections over DVI/HDMI (digital-digital) connections.

Samsung's monitors mentioned by David are of good quality, although theyre cheap because they are in the process of upgrading their current lineup. However you can pick up a HD Ready Samsung LE26R41BD for £606 on Pricerunner.co.uk.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DanVitale wrote:
    Dont be under the illusion that a 26" TV wont give you any improvement with HDTV feeds. Utter tosh. Sky's current service displayed on a 26" LCD TV (like my Sharp) shows up many many broadcast compression faults, those faults would be reduced if not eradicated on a HDTV feed. Thats the improvement SkyHD will give.

Wrong. What is to say that they won't use a too low bitrate for HD and compression artefacts will still show.

Your viewing distance would have to be tiny for the difference to be visible at 26" (the eye's vertical acuity is about 1 arcmin).

BBC R&D have published a white paper on this subject.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Philips have a 17 and 20 inch lcd. They say they are HD Ready
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Geordie_Cy wrote:
    Wrong. What is to say that they won't use a too low bitrate for HD and compression artefacts will still show.

Your viewing distance would have to be tiny for the difference to be visible at 26" (the eye's vertical acuity is about 1 arcmin).

BBC R&D have published a white paper on this subject.

Am I reading you wrong here or have you just contridicted yourself in following paragraphs?

You say that HD and Compression artifacts might show, then you say that the viewing distance will have to be tiny for the difference to be visible.

I said that the standard definition faults that LCD sets with a HD resolution (1366x768, for example) may be reduced if not eradicated by using SkyHD's service... so I also dont know what youre disagreeing at.... ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Netgem wrote:
    Philips have a 17 and 20 inch lcd. They say they are HD Ready

They might be HD compliant, but not HD ready.

(difference: HD compliant = has a lower resolution and will downscale the HD feed to be viewable. Result being a loss in quality. HD Ready = will display HD feeds at the quality theyve been designed for..).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DanVitale wrote:
    They might be HD compliant, but not HD ready.

(difference: HD compliant = has a lower resolution and will downscale the HD feed to be viewable. Result being a loss in quality. HD Ready = will display HD feeds at the quality theyve been designed for..).

Nope, they have a resolution of 1366x768 and they are definately HD Ready. Go onto the comet.co.uk website, and press HDTV on the right. The first one is the one I'm looking at. The Philips £499 one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DanVitale wrote:
    You dont NEED a DVI or HDMI socket to receive most if not all of the new SkyHD services, if thats what you are looking at. Sky have said themselves that most if not all of their HD line up will be viewable on a Component only HD screen.

Sky has only stated that its own channels will be available in full HD resolution over component cables; there is no guarantee that non-Sky HD channels will be. HD-DVD and Blu-ray will almost certainly not carry HD over component. Furthermore, if you buy a non-HD Ready TV there is no guarantee that it will accept 720p and 1080i at 50Hz. Therefore I think it would be very shortsighted to buy a new HDTV that is not HD Ready - unless it is exceedingly cheap.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the philipzs i'm looking at hazs DVI-I. I dont know what that is. But a friend told me that I would have no audio on this set atall. It has PC audio input
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Netgem wrote:
    Nope, they have a resolution of 1366x768 and they are definately HD Ready. Go onto the comet.co.uk website, and press HDTV on the right. The first one is the one I'm looking at. The Philips £499 one.

The comet spec list is a bit strange.

No HDMI but it has DVI but it says it's not HDCP compatible.
    If that is the case then the LCD is not HD Ready however the Philips website does say HDCP which makes you wonder who writes the content for the retailer:)

Is it just me but only having one input for both digital and analogue connections (HD suitable) kinda goes against the spirit of the EICTA HD Ready spec, certainly short changes the consumer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Netgem wrote:
    the philipzs i'm looking at hazs DVI-I. I dont know what that is. But a friend told me that I would have no audio on this set atall. It has PC audio input

DVI is a digital video connection (used on most PCgraphics cards) and moved over to TV/DVD a while back. Some DVI inputs accept the HDCP protection (which HDMI has by default) thus making them suitable for use with HD sources that output via HDMI.

There is no audio on DVI but most people will probably be using the optical or coaxial audio output of a STB or High Def player to feed an amp so is not that critical.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hello??? ANyone?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    meltcity wrote:
    Sky has only stated that its own channels will be available in full HD resolution over component cables; there is no guarantee that non-Sky HD channels will be.

Sky's HD box will have an additional Scart output, just incase they dont decide to broadcast the SD channels over component (which is unlikely) ;)
    meltcity wrote:
    HD-DVD and Blu-ray will almost certainly not carry HD over component.

Yep, HD-DVD and BluRay will require HDCP Compliant (ie DVI and HDMI) connections to play the media. The wont use component.

[/QUOTE]Furthermore, if you buy a non-HD Ready TV there is no guarantee that it will accept 720p and 1080i at 50Hz. Therefore I think it would be very shortsighted to buy a new HDTV that is not HD Ready - unless it is exceedingly cheap.[/QUOTE]

Very true. Avoid the non HD Ready screens that dont have a native HD resolution, or youre going to be paying for a HD service (if you use HD) that you wont be getting your full value for money.

Most HD Ready TV sets can do 1080i and 720p at 50hz.

Netgem, I saw the link, but I think £500 for a 20" is very steep. Id go for the Samsung 26" for £100 more if I was you. ;)
  • Options
    DoctorbDoctorb Posts: 3,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thats funny....LCD and HDTV in the same sentence.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doctorb wrote:
    Thats funny....LCD and HDTV in the same sentence.

?

LCD like all flat panels perform best when fed high quality source material that either matches or comes close to their native resolution.

Even a basic LCD will look good when showing HD compared to lesser formats such as broadcast analogue/digital and even DVD.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DanVitale wrote:
    Most HD Ready TV sets can do 1080i and 720p at 50hz.

They have to - it's part of the HD Ready spec!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed, I have a JVC 28" CRT which is HDTV 720 compatible and the difference in quality when using an HD source is very minute.

Sure it's acually displaying 720, not just accepting the input and downscaling it to 576?

What model is it; I've not seen mention of an HD CRT shipping in this country?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 485
    Forum Member
    I forget the model number, I will get it for you tomorrow, but I know the instruction manual states that it accepts HD720 and apparently HD1125i (although I have not been able to test this....)

• Options
    Forum Member
    meltcity wrote:
    They have to - it's part of the HD Ready spec!

Sorry, got confused with 60mhz (what the US/Canada and Japan are running at). ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I forget the model number, I will get it for you tomorrow, but I know the instruction manual states that it accepts HD720 and apparently HD1125i (although I have not been able to test this....)

Had a look on the JVC site; those TVs accept a HD component input, but only display regular PAL - so don't base your opions on HD on what you see!
  • Options
    OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm still holding tight to my money until Sky HD actually is launched.. I am quite sure there will be some bugs to iron out once the service actually starts..... some HD ready screens may need some tweaks, firmware upgrade or other such stuff. I think initially there might be a lot of unhappy flat panel owners once Sky actually starts broadcasting.

Not even to mention all those non HD ready plasma owners out there!