LOST Ending - Am I the only one who thought it was brilliant?

HetalHetal Posts: 5,415
Forum Member
It tops the Ashes to Ashes ending in my opinion. Both really good endings, but the good thing about LOST was seeing the characters all together for the final time and knowing how much of a journey we've had with them on the Island.

I'm glad some of the mysteries went unsolved. Why? Because the majority of us would never be satisfied with them. People would have their own answer regardless of the conclusion such as Christian turning out to be MiB.

Leaving it open will make this show talked about for years. If everything was answered, they'll be many arguments of what they wanted answered and it'll just cheapen the show. Hell, I was displeased that Jacob turned out to be a nobody who somehow turned supernatrual after drinking from his fake mother's cup and got all emotional by killing his brother. But if his background remained unanswered, he woud have remained a better character like he was at the Season 5 finale.

Comments

• kegsiekegsie Posts: 2,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was garbage. My hatred for the ending is growing by the hour
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was amazing and a truly fitting ending to what has been one hell of a ride !
  • carnoch04carnoch04 Posts: 10,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with you. I get the feeling some people would only be happy if every question was answered right down to "Why is Hurley called Hurley?"

Perfect ending IMO.
  • The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nobody expected every question to be anserwed. But they failed to answer anything unless it was to do with the characters love lifes. Lost wasn't a soap opera!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved it as well. I like that not everything was answerd, it wouldnt have felt right somehow if everything was explained, to me thats not what lost was about, we have never really had answers to many questions, but for me i was just happy the alt timeline was explained.

Need to rewatch it at some point though.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it was glorious.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    carnoch04 wrote: »
    I agree with you. I get the feeling some people would only be happy if every question was answered right down to "Why is Hurley called Hurley?"

Perfect ending IMO.

I dont get why people want this answering. I just took it as Hurleys his nickname. I have never questioned it to be anything special or diffrent?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see how it could have been better to be honest, I thought it was done perfectly
  • BrotherLoveBrotherLove Posts: 2,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Emotionally - brilliant, top notch. Moving and amongst the greatest character journeys ever seen in a TV show. Great ending for the characters - very satisfying.

Plot-wise - depressing and frustrating. Questions Questions Questions. Does my head in thinking about it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 375
    Forum Member
    I felt it was a fairly decent ending but could have been better.

To opt for a slightly skewed version of 'they're all dead' was predicted pretty much from the start, albeit they didn't die in the plane crash.

Purgatory, a dream, and 'all happening in xxx's head' were the 3 main ideas always proposed, and it felt a small amount of lazy that they went with purgatory.

But in saying that, while a fair number of questions undoubtedly did not get answered, in the course of keeping us hooked throughout the series, we needed more and more mysteries to keep the allure. Problem was they created too many to answer.

It was a decent conclusion, albeit not one which tied up lots of loose ends.

But this was Lost - was it ever going to?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved it; I thought it was perfect (small gripe about Sayid and Shannon though). Normally I'd think a white light was cheesy and cliched but for Lost it fit in with the light at the heart of the island and the white/black symbolism.

Too much explanation would have left people outraged. "The island is magic."- cop out. "There's a scientific explanation"- it would need to be explained, but no one on the Lost team has mastered time travel as far as I'm aware, so whatever science they did tell us would be under extreme scrutiny! Given that the central theme of the show was Science vs Faith it's only right that we work out which one it was for ourselves (bit of both, imo), especially since that's what Jack and all the other characters had to do.

It really wasn't what I expected but it was beautiful and fitting. The whole show was about redemption and that's how it ended. :)
  • billlythekidbilllythekid Posts: 5,080
    Forum Member
    ukool wrote: »
    I loved it as well. I like that not everything was answerd, it wouldnt have felt right somehow if everything was explained, to me thats not what lost was about, we have never really had answers to many questions, but for me i was just happy the alt timeline was explained.

Need to rewatch it at some point though.

same i was not properly awake this morning whilst watching

btw my favourite scene is at the cliff side and the fight with Jack and MIB in the rain amazing
  • sHaKsHaK Posts: 2,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was 2 hours of beautifulness. I'm perhaps not as concerned about getting answers as much as other fans, so I was happy to see the finale as character-driven
  • oilcatoilcat Posts: 27,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent, emotional, gripping and moving

As far as Im concerned that was the perfect way to end the show, the writers already said that they wouldnt explain everything

Lost was always character driven, and thats what mattered in the end, the characters
    Forum Member
    same i was not properly awake this morning whilst watching

btw my favourite scene is at the cliff side and the fight with Jack and MIB in the rain amazing

That was a little homage to Matrix and the battle between Neo and Agent Smith I think.
    Forum Member
    oilcat wrote: »
    Excellent, emotional, gripping and moving

As far as Im concerned that was the perfect way to end the show, the writers already said that they wouldnt explain everything

I think it's more 'couldn't' than 'wouldn't'.
  • billlythekidbilllythekid Posts: 5,080
    Forum Member
    Danny_G13 wrote: »
    That was a little homage to Matrix and the battle between Neo and Agent Smith I think.

yh was gonna say that, it was amazing i was sorta hoping for slo-mo fights:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Which is fair enough, unless you know of a show where time travel and movable land masses were fully explained. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 263
    Forum Member
    If you think the ending was brilliant then you have probably convinced yourself that the central question at the heart of the premise of the entire show - WHAT IS THE ISLAND - is somehow not a valid question, and those who ask it are being spoilsports.

In one of the many 'explanations' currently doing the rounds, it is casually mentioned that Jack sacrificed himself at the end. Okay, yes, but how did that happen? What exactly was the light? What were its properties? How did it bring about Jack's death? Through mere proximity? What was the exact nature of the light? If it was spiritual, how did it interact with the material plane?

That's just one of many, many examples. It's similar to the start of season 6, when Locke and the smoke monster were revealed to be somehow the same entity. "So now we know what the smoke monster is," many people said. Actually - NO, we didn't (and don't) know that, or anything at all.

Lost was a 6-years-long shaggy dog story. It was just a lot of mostly harmless bullshit, really.
  • oilcatoilcat Posts: 27,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

People were never going to be happy whatever they ended it wiith

With it being a "mystical" island they could have written all the hockum they wanted and passed it as "mysticism" or "sci fi"
  • wilko1978wilko1978 Posts: 1,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beautiful finale,best episode ever IMO.The people who are complaining probably liked the Soprano`s ending ffs!The story was always about the characters first and foremost and that story concluded brilliantly.
    Forum Member
    Lady Hoot wrote: »
    Which is fair enough, unless you know of a show where time travel and movable land masses were fully explained. :D

Well, quite. The nature of this show was that outlandish things happened which couldn't be explained, and it was left to the viewer to try and fill in the gaps.

Which is fair enough if the viewer is happy to do that, but Lost is a show which splits folk down the middle - those happy with the way it ended, and those frustrated by continued lack of explanation of various mysteries.
  • BrotherLoveBrotherLove Posts: 2,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lost was always character driven, and thats what mattered in the end, the characters

Many people say this, but I think it's a little selfish. The mysteries and the island were just as much of importance as the characters.

The mysteries were what made this show special and kept baiting you along with the characters journey. So I sympathise with those who got a very vague addressing of all the strange happenings.

In the end, the characters got the send off (as is usually the way) and the plot elements got the shaft (as it was too hard to resolve on camera given the shear number they threw in without much thought to keep the viewers hooked).

Still enjoyed it, very emotional - dare I say it, more written to appease the female viewers rather than the males (going by our householod and friends).
  • JT EffectJT Effect Posts: 5,177
    Forum Member
    Before the finale started I was firmly in the camp of 'Well, I hope we get some answers!'

But as the finale went on, I just got swept up in the developments, and when Jack met his father Christian at the end, and asked "How are you here?" to be asked "How are you here, Jack?" and then Jack's realisation that he was also dead, and him breaking down in his father's arms and I no longer cared about finding out about the Tawaret statue, or Walt's specialness, or the H-bomb, or the infertility or a whole load of other questions I had - I just thought it was a truly beautiful and moving way to end a show I've loved so much.
    Forum Member
    People were never going to be happy whatever they ended it wiith

Some people clearly are happy with this ending. I'm a bit underwhelmed by it, and do agree with the views which seem to criticise the overplaying of the FS of the final series as being the answer for everything from the start,
    With it being a "mystical" island they could have written all the hockum they wanted and passed it as "mysticism" or "sci fi"

But wouldn't that have been fine? As long as it was answered. There were plenty of answers in the final series, Richard's episode being the highlight. In one fell swoop they managed to cover 6 or 7 big mysteries and that was very satisfying.