Christmas day pizza

InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,702
Forum Member
✭✭
Alright so this year I've decided to abandon tradition and have pizza on Christmas day. My day, my rules.

However I've just discovered Dominoes, the nearest place to here, isn't open on Christmas day and I suspect this will be the case for pretty much all food establishments on this of most religious days.

One alternative is I just buy one of the fresh ones from a supermarket. Any recommendations for which to get/where? I want one that tastes nice. I've had pizzas from supermarkets that ended up being big let downs.

I suppose I could make my own.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You could order one christmas eve and then re-heat it in the oven?

Or I would recommend ASDA for pizza if you've got one with a create your own counter as you can then get exactly what you want, and I've always found them to be pretty good.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You could order one christmas eve and then re-heat it in the oven?

Or I would recommend ASDA for pizza if you've got one with a create your own counter as you can then get exactly what you want, and I've always found them to be pretty good.

Yeah I did consider the re-heating option actually.. the quality from dom's is normally good enough that the pizza sometimes tastes better after a reheat the next day.

Thanks for the ASDA tip.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Anyone else thought they meant a christmas dinner on a pizza?
  • JOHNORJOHNOR Posts: 3,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »

yes:o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,442
    Forum Member

Yes, but mainly because it was on Last Weeks Have I Got News For You, one of the supermarkets have brought out a Christmas Dinner Pizza.
  • jojo01jojo01 Posts: 12,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JOHNOR wrote: »
    yes:o

Ditto!

If it were Xmas dinner on a pizza, this is what I would do... use a thick layer of bread sauce as the sauce on the base, add pieces of turkey, roast potato, cocktail sausages, and then sprinkle peas, sprouts and stuffing balls all over, and I would have a side order of gravy to dunk the crusts into.

However, I'd still be missing cauliflower cheese and mashed swede so they may have to be a side order too! And I've probably missed something else off the list too...
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Yes, but mainly because it was on Last Weeks Have I Got News For You, one of the supermarkets have brought out a Christmas Dinner Pizza.
    Knew i'd seen it somewhere. I searched for a thread on it before replying.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've decided to make my own. :) I'm pretty good at it and it will ensure it's fresh on the day. Thanks for all the replies. :)
  • McLovin85McLovin85 Posts: 1,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why don't you make your own?

You could make the base if you felt like being really experimental but could also buy a base to cook my ultimate Christmas Pizza.

Cambell's condensed chicken soup as the base (nice and thick)
    Turkey or chicken. I used liked turkey chunks from supermarket or if need be sliced turkey.
    Sausage
    Parsnip
    stuffing
    onions
    bacon
    cranberry jelly
    cheese.
    Add anything else you like...

It's not much of a mission as it seems, cook like the bacon,sausage,stuffing etc first and then make your pizza and cook it as you would normally. You can even cook it the day before and use it for a few days.

It sounds quite weird, I tried it when I worked in a pizza shop back in the day and then decided to sell it making it one of the best sellers.

It works and is bloody awesome.
  • staceyxxx23staceyxxx23 Posts: 12,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That actually looks tasty :D
  • jaycee331jaycee331 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And me! I clicked thinking hey what a nice original idea to make a change, let's put Christmas on a Pizza! Might not work but I think it's a cool thing to try once.

Come on OP... stop worrying about no take-aways being open on xmas day and make your own :) You do not have to consider yourself a cook in any way whatsoever to make a DIY pizza. Start from a fresh base, or even a high quality cheese & tomato pizza as a starting point, buy some packs of ready done toppings and veg etc. The only real work in the whole thing is slicing all the toppings thin so they cook at the same time as the pizza.

Hey Domino's is not cheap, spending the same kind of money on a DIY would be enough for some real luxury stuff.