Options

I like the changes

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,578
Forum Member
OK, with all the whingeing and groaning around, I'd like to say that, on occasion, I quite like some of the new changes.

I like the new set. It's bigger, it's classier, and it allows more room to do things in.

I like the fact that they're chopping-and-changing the dance order. It makes things unpredictable, and let's face it, watching 6 people perform the Viennese Waltz is death by telly.

I like the fact that more people are watching. Fundamentally, if the show's ratings diminish, then the show is really dead.

I like the line-up of celebs; overall, they seem better quality than last year, and they also seem higher-profile.

So there's stuff I like about the show - specifically, there's stuff I like about the show compared to last year.

Any others?

Comments

• Options
    shrewshrew Posts: 1,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok - I'll join in...

I like the fact they always have a range of Slebs... from the crap to the very good. I also like the spread of ages and the very different personalities.

I don't watch soaps (... sniff), so it's also nice to see some young people on that I've never heard of - getting a break, so-to-speak, and getting exposure to a different demographic.

Strictly has been my intro into Ballroom Dancing. I only started to watch it a couple of years ago so I like the fact that I'm learning new things about dancing all the time. As I'm a relative newbie, I don't think I can comment about the changes, but hey...

I think it's great that they have live music and I like the cross-genre thing where they use modern music for traditional dances. I realise it doesn't work all the time, but I like the cultural mash-up aspect all the same.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Bruce and Tess...... I like the new set (but Blackpool best!). I adore the theme music.... it's a classic!
  • Options
    gorlagongorlagon Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the new set.

I like having said goodbye to the dance-off.

I like the intention behind the changes: nobody wants the show to get stale.

I'm indifferent to the props. Have them, don't have them: it's all the same to me.

I'm kinda (sigh) with Len (sigh) in that I prefer the dances to be recognisable (sigh), so I kinda don't like the DWTS-style put-three-seconds-of-foxtrot-in-it-and-you-can-call-it-a-foxtrot thing (sigh).
  • Options
    marinamaumarinamau Posts: 4,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with the op. The only thing I find a bit tiresome by now is when there are too many props, a bit yes, at the beginning yes, but it can detract from the dance a bit too much in this stage of the competition.
    The idea of spreading dances is good for tv. Sometimes it will help some couples and sometimes it will help others.
  • Options
    JauntyMontyJauntyMonty Posts: 377
    Forum Member
    I like the props and the new set.

I'm pleased that they stuck with having each couple have two dances before the first elimination.

I'm glad they reduced the number of contestants/weeks (although I was disappointed to see some of the pros leave).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm glad they reduced the number of contestants/weeks (although I was disappointed to see some of the pros leave).
    Oh yes, I like that also. In fact, I'd be happier with 10 celebs, I think there's further scope for "Quality not quantity".
  • Options
    PastaPasta Posts: 3,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have no problem with the changes, other than missing the banished pros- though I actually like all the new ones (even Jared - heresy, I know). The problems are the same as they always are - erratic judging (though overall it does tend to even out), joke contestants outstaying their welcome, Bruce and Tess (marmite to people, and I'm not a fan of either).
  • Options
    perdiedumplingperdiedumpling Posts: 8,540
    Forum Member
    I like Artem. I also quite like props if used sparingly to set up a routine, but too often there has been prop overload.
  • Options
    anirose26anirose26 Posts: 1,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Craig.:cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the fact someone bothered to start a thread saying there's still stuff to like about the show!

Change is the lifeblood of any show and whether they work, or whether they don't, to stay the same is to risk staleness.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I also like the fact that, after all the faffing, not only did the best three dancers get to the final, but the best overall dancer won.

In other words, the public vote matched the judging vote.

So I like the fact that the GBP are not morons.
  • Options
    labasheedylabasheedy Posts: 1,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DavidJames wrote: »
    I also like the fact that, after all the faffing, not only did the best three dancers get to the final, but the best overall dancer won.

In other words, the public vote matched the judging vote.

So I like the fact that the GBP are not morons.

Hmm, Wasn't Pamela top of the judges' vote, so I don't think the GBP were in unision with the panel of judges at all as a rule.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed the themed weeks. Halloween week especially was great fun.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    labasheedy wrote: »
    Hmm, Wasn't Pamela top of the judges' vote,
    No. Kara got 488 overall, Pamela got 480.
    labasheedy wrote: »
    so I don't think the GBP were in unision with the panel of judges at all as a rule.
    Actually, they were.

But either way, that's pretty nitpicky; considering we could have had Gavin or even Ann as winnders... My main point is that I think, by and large, in the end, the judges and the GBP have agreed.

And I like that.
  • Options
    fatskiafatskia Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with the OP on all those likes, but find it difficult to think of more likes, but I did like the way they changed the length of the show to fit the number of dances, the double elimination in the semi-final and that there were less two-dance weeks, as with more than one dance to learn a week, the quality seems to drop.

Changes that I personally didn't like were the lack of good pro dances and the dance troupe seemed to be nothing like it was trumpeted to be.

I dont mind the appropriate use of props to set the mood as a lead in to the dance. We have had them used at various times during the dance. Only in Ann Widdicombes case does being hauled in by a crane help the dance ( and saves Anton's back).:)

The rules seemed to change and you could break hold in the middle of the dance. I wasn't clear as to how many times you could do that, but apparently then you can put in whatever you like - just as with the beginning and end. So with a long lead in and finish, you could have less than a third of the actual dance time occupied by the dance they were supposed to do. That wasn't a change I liked.

The results show I soon stopped watching and checked the spoiler. They need to put some life into it, and maybe the dance-off would have helped a bit. It might have kept Goldie and Jimi in longer. I think the dance-off can still be useful until the later stages.
  • Options
    millie3millie3 Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked the new set and most of the celebs this year. I have found it a bit predictable this year and would have preferred some shocks. I still think I would like to see the judges giving comments only and only the viewers voting. The bottom 2 then have a dance off with the judges saving one. I think this way you get a true picture of popularity.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think many would be saying how wonderful was this series if the "wrong" people had made the final.

It was a good series despite the changes, because in the end the public got it right.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't think many would be saying how wonderful was this series if the "wrong" people had made the final.

It was a good series despite the changes, because in the end the public got it right.
    So what do you like about the series?
  • Options
    millie3millie3 Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't think the 'wrong' people do win in the end. I suppose they can't be 'wrong' if more people vote for them either.
  • Options
    BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really liked this series and thought it brought the show back with a bang! For the first time since series 5 I was excited about watching the show again. :D

Even with the inclusion of a celeb like Ann, the only changes I didn't like were that all the couples who reached the final, hadn't all danced the same dances and the show dance not being the last dance of the series.

The only other thing I would say is that by next year the 'rules' need to be made quite clear about the definition of 'lift' and the expected content of each dance e.g. 60% in hold or what ever. I don't want to see the judges ignoring the rules when they feel like it.

I'm sad it was all over so quickly, but I'm looking forward to the Christmas special! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the new set. I also liked the visit to Blackpool (what a beautiful ballroom!).

I think the new pros have refreshed the show, particularly Artem. In particular I like seeing some humour, primarily brought in by the more recently recruited pros like Katya and Aliona, but also from stalwarts like Anton. I like seeing Craig smile now and then (he has a nice smile but deadpans well too). I think Bruno has actually improved and now has some useful stuff to say. Alesha was not too bad either (and does look lovely). However I like the fact that we still have at least one ballroom expert in Len (although would ideally like more).

I like the choice of higher profile celebs too. I agree that an increase in viewing audience has to be good for the show and dancing in general. I like the way thought was given to the celeb/pro pairings this year and generally IMO they got it right. Some more work could be done on the results show though (dull)

I like the way wardrobe dept realised that with someone like Kara, classic and simple is best. She wore some of the most beautiful dresses I've seen on Strictly. I like the celeb and pro men getting their shirts off now and then as long as it is kept within control! :D

I didn't mind the theme night for Halloween. It was quite good fun.

Lastly I liked seeing Anton dance on his own each week. :D It was a good series for him.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DavidJames wrote: »
    So what do you like about the series?

Fewer of them each year.

It wasn't broke so why do they try to "fix" it each year?

I thought it was only with kids (but now apparently also BBC1 viewers) you have to keep buying new toys to hold their attention.

With all the props it's getting like "It's a Knockout."
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked the new set; it felt bigger and I think having Tess in an upstairs area that was still part of the set gave the celebs the added extra of properly being able to watch their fellow contestants, and be part of the main event, compared to being hidden backstage and watching on monitors. The caveat of the set is that I would have preferred it if they didn't use the steps and the platform above the band to dance on, because it did waste time to then get down the stairs onto the floor and break the flow of dances (luckily most people didn't use it though :))

I liked the good mix of celebrities this year - they did seem this year to have something extra compared to other years.

I have to agree with Buddy at the issues with this series:
    changes I didn't like were that all the couples who reached the final, hadn't all danced the same dances and the show dance not being the last dance of the series.

The only other thing I would say is that by next year the 'rules' need to be made quite clear about the definition of 'lift' and the expected content of each dance e.g. 60% in hold or what ever. I don't want to see the judges ignoring the rules when they feel like it.
    This year it was confusing to know exactly how the rules had changed in ballroom for time spent out of hold and inclusion of lifts. Next year all the judges need to know what are permittable competition steps that look like lifts.

There were plenty of things I didn't like, but I won't grumble in here!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Liked: -
    fewer couples
    good mix of celebs
    new set - very glam
    variety of dances each week
    no dance off
    themed weeks - especially the halloween week
    showdances being performed before third place decided and couples finishing on their favourite dances.

Dislike: -
    reduction in number of pro dances,
    overuse of props
    dance troupe - why (even though I love Ian)
    inconsistent approach by judges to lifts, amount of time in hold etc etc
  • Options
    solaresolare Posts: 11,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1) Don't like the set - too "Las Vegas / cruise ship". Prefer Blackpool kitsch.

2) Don't like Tess's balcony area. Prefer a "backstage dressing room" set.

3) Don't like the props. Cheesy, time-wasting and clutter-up the dance floor.

4) Don't like the camera work - not enough on the feet.

5) Don't like the audience whooping and clapping everytime they do a turn. Too much like chavvy "Dancing on Ice".

6) Don't like the results show on Sunday. One long dragged-out anti-climax.

I'll still watch it next year though :D

(Oh - I do like the variety of dances each week though, instead of just two).