Options

Stephen Fry’s 100 Greatest Gadgets, C4&HD 8pm, 29 Aug

Comments

• Options
    Jason CJason C Posts: 31,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see why the iPod gets separated from other MP3 music players for the purposes of this list.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    #5 Typewriter
    #4 Television
    #3 Portable MP3 players (but just the one made by you-know-who mentioned)
    #2 Wrist watch
    #1 Cigarette lighter (fire from your fingers)
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh I just read the tv guide I didn't realise it was Fry's Top 100 I though it was a viewers vote explains the I-pod reference.

He's having a laugh he's put WHAT at no.1 is he on something
  • Options
    LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lighter... all well and good but do people really carry them around if they don't smoke?
  • Options
    taskertasker Posts: 4,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    Oh I just read the tv guide I didn't realise it was Fry's Top 100 I though it was a viewers vote explains the I-pod reference.

:D:D:D:D
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well if you sat through all three hours of it I hope you happy with the No.1
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everyone would squabble about the order of course, but a nice mixture of old and new gadgets from Stephen.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,108
    Forum Member
    Thank you everyone, for letting me watch something other than this self-indulgent tripe. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,916
    Forum Member
    He obviously missed this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2vJKrB3xFI :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really want one of those apple peelers.
  • Options
    LowriLowri Posts: 3,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lighter... all well and good but do people really carry them around if they don't smoke?

No, at least I don't.

A bit of a pain when 10 non-smokers get together for a barbeque in a field and forget to take matches. Took 45 minutes before a smoker crossed our path! :o
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    Typewriter No5? get away who voted for these?

Nobody voted and it's not claiming to be a definite list.

I must say that, as a non smoker, I don't think I have ever owned the #1 gadget on the list. I have most of the others.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lowri wrote: »
    No, at least I don't.

A bit of a pain when 10 non-smokers get together for a barbeque in a field and forget to take matches. Took 45 minutes before a smoker crossed our path! :o

Ah :D
  • Options
    AxGAxG Posts: 25,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apple iPeeler? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Nobody voted and it's not claiming to be a definite list.

I must say that, as a non smoker, I don't think I have ever owned the #1 gadget on the list. I have most of the others.

I've never owned one. There have been ones that passed through the house, as in other people had them for some daft reason, but they quickly ran out of gas and just became junk spark shooters.

Matches. We like matches, but barely even use those since the cooker lights itself these days.:o
  • Options
    jake19801957jake19801957 Posts: 3,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the flipping lighter
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not as Apple-o-centric as the cynics were saying, but using iPod as the generic name for mp3 players was naughty.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't but I know some do. Apparently it's a good way to get talking to girls.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    I don't but I know some do. Apparently it's a good way to get talking to girls.

Have girls never seen fire before:confused:

:D
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose I can't complain too much since it was Fry's personal list and not one voted by the public but I found the show rather unsatisfactory. Too many gadgets and not enough time meant that it was little more than a list with very little talk about any of the gadgets mentioned. It was very telling that someone asked how one of the gadgets worked and Fry said something like "I would tell you if this was on BBC4 and not Channel 4". Quite.
  • Options
    LowriLowri Posts: 3,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We've had the same box of matches for about 5 years. It's used a couple of times a year for birthday cakes and if we're really lucky, for sparklers on bonfire night.
    Any use of a lighter for a non-smoker is quite easily covered by matches. If Mr Fry still smoked then I'd be very annoyed at the bias towards smokers. (You might be able to tell that I strongly dislike smoking but that's another debate!)
  • Options
    DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry but the best gadget ever is Inspector. Pure and simple ;-) *giggle*

PJ
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 263
    Forum Member
    What a disappointing show. Knowing how much of a gadget freak Stephen Fry is, I was anticipating something a good deal more quintessentially Fry-ish – something like one of his books or blogs, except in TV form.

When the ebook reader came in at #98 and had all of 30 seconds devoted to it, and was followed by curling tongs and scissors and the like, I saw that this was not going to be the show I anticipated.

A total waste of time and possibly the worst piece of television I've ever seen involving Mr Fry. Terrible.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was the remote control mentioned?? Greatest invention ever for me.