Census Results 2011

167891012»

Comments

• doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    Ta.

But looking at it, it has some errors.

Ireland for example, does not have a strict flat rate and it is not 196 Euros a week, it is set at 188Euros a week. There are also deductions that can be made, which take into account age and other factors. It states Ireland has one unemployment benefit, it doesn't, it has two. One is available only to those who have paid Social Insurance Payments (Jobseekers Benefit) but the second (Unemployment Benefit) is available to those who do not qualify for JSB, including those who have never worked and has no time limit. Again the maximum rate is 188Euros a week, with deductions from that based on certain criteria. I posted links direct from the Irish equivalent of the DWP earlier in this thread.

If they have that wrong, I am not sure they haven't got other things wrong too so I am afraid I have to take the report with a pinch of salt, especially given who Migration Watch are and their bias.

Good enough for the national press but not you then?

MigrationWatch are known for their accurate figures, many on the left have tried to challenge them and failed.
  • DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    riceuten wrote: »
    There's something called the Ordinary Residence test without which you can't claim benefits or social housing.

You mean that test which means if you live in any EU Country you are classed as living in britain and having ordinary residence when you apply for benefits when you come here?

Oh that one...
    Forum Member
    You mean that test which means if you live in any EU Country you are classed as living in britain and having ordinary residence when you apply for benefits when you come here?

Oh that one...

So which benefits exactly does it stop you receiving?
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the royal wedding and diamond jubilee, still show active and important British culture is over here. I'm not sure what aspects of British culture have been lost.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    doom&gloom wrote: »
    So which benefits exactly does it stop you receiving?

I'm not 100% sure what all the benefits are but you can get child benefit, housing benefit and tax credits(although i think you can only get those if you're working and for 6 months after), apply for social housing, jobseekers allowance.
    Forum Member
    I'm not 100% sure what all the benefits are but you can get child benefit, housing benefit and tax credits(although i think you can only get those if you're working and for 6 months after), apply for social housing, jobseekers allowance.

And if you're from another EU country you might have to claim for some of them (not unemployment benefits though) from your home country for the first 3 months, that's hardly going to put anyone off coming here is it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And if you're from another EU country you might have to claim from your home country for the first 3 months, that's hardly going to put anyone off coming here is it?

I dont know but it's multicultural isn't it great!?
    Forum Member
    I dont know but it's multicultural isn't it great!?

Basically you get unemployment benefit straight away but might have to wait 3 months for other benefits (which if you're from the EU you get paid anyway), that is not going to put anyone off coming here at all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here it is
    http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/+/www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/BeginnersGuideToBenefits/DG_170638

Benefits for non-UK nationals

If you come to the United Kingdom you may be eligible for financial help. To get this help you must be able to prove residency and that you are registered as a worker.

Benefits for non-UK nationals

Benefits you may be able to get are:
    Pension Credit
    Income Support
    income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
    Housing Benefit
    Council Tax Benefit
    Disability Living Allowance
    Attendance Allowance and Carers Allowance
    Eligibility

Eligibility for these benefits will depend on your immigration status and if you are looking for employment and can apply for benefits in the same way as a UK national. To find out if you are registered or need to register follow the link below.

1Does the worker have a UK passport?
    No

2Is the worker:
    from EU, EEA or Switzerland?

Yes

3Does the worker have an EU, EEA or Swiss passport or ID card?
    Yes

The person is entitled to work in the UK.

The residency test means you have to prove you were a resident of an EU country and you have come to work.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Good enough for the national press but not you then?

MigrationWatch are known for their accurate figures, many on the left have tried to challenge them and failed.

The national press are notorious for just taking such reports and even press releases, and essentially reprinting them, they do it all the time with such reports from the likes of Migration Watch, The Tax Payers Alliance, Mumsnet, the BPI, IFPI etc. etc.

Like it or not, Migration Watch is not independent. Now maybe if they had gotten say for example, Ireland and it's unemployment benefits, actually correct instead of getting the amount wrong, the details wrong and the number of unemployment benefits wrong, I would be more likely to accept the rest of the report was accurate. But if they get our closest neighbour so spectacularly wrong, how do we know they have all the details of other countries correct?.
  • Dai ClustDai Clust Posts: 369
    Forum Member
    Emmasmythe wrote: »
    Quote:
    The number of foreign-born residents has increased by 13%, from 4.6 million to 7.5 million.

Maths is not my forte, but that cant be right
    :D

And that is JUST the ones who are prepared to say My name is x I live in Y and I am originally from z. i.e. those who are here legally with nothing to hide. Heaven knows how many are here illegaly who are not going to complete a census are they?? Millions
    Forum Member
    Dai Clust wrote: »
    And that is JUST the ones who are prepared to say My name is x I live in Y and I am originally from z. i.e. those who are here legally with nothing to hide. Heaven knows how many are here illegaly who are not going to complete a census are they?? Millions

Yeah we have no real accurate figures for the number who are here illegally, I doubt we ever can really know given they sneak into the country without anyone knowing, and disappear. With such a huge sea border like ours it's pretty much impossible to stop it unfortunately.
  • Dai ClustDai Clust Posts: 369
    Forum Member
    It's noticeable how so many posters from Scotland are all in favour of of large scale immigration to England.

Not for us but good for you?

Not so good for Wales, How we long for Scotland's relative distance. 21% of our population are English settlers and it's going to get worse with increasing "White Flight"
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My worry about mass immigration is purely about numbers. A larger population, whether British-born or added from elsewhere is going to be a strain on housing, education, health care etc. and I worry that we will struggle to cope.

There's much debate about what constitutes "Britishness" but if anything defines us at all it's the English language. If non-English speaking people settle here I would hope that they make an effort to speak English and moreover that their children born here will learn English as a first language and will be proud to call themselves British, while of course still recognising their non-English heritage and ancestry. I want people settling here to be happy to live in Britain so our acceptance of them is paramount. The last thing we need is sidelining, ghettoisation and divided communities. It will do this country no good to have groups of non-English speakers sending their children to schools which are exclusively Arabic or Punjabi or Polish etc. The same goes for "faith" schools which can also be divisive when we should be doing our utmost to be inclusive but with the single proviso that children educated here should speak English.
    Forum Member
    Eraserhead wrote: »
    My worry about mass immigration is purely about numbers. A larger population, whether British-born or added from elsewhere is going to be a strain on housing, education, health care etc. and I worry that we will struggle to cope.

There's much debate about what constitutes "Britishness" but if anything defines us at all it's the English language. If non-English speaking people settle here I would hope that they make an effort to speak English and moreover that their children born here will learn English as a first language and will be proud to call themselves British, while of course still recognising their non-English heritage and ancestry. I want people settling here to be happy to live in Britain so our acceptance of them is paramount. The last thing we need is sidelining, ghettoisation and divided communities. It will do this country no good to have groups of non-English speakers sending their children to schools which are exclusively Arabic or Punjabi or Polish etc. The same goes for "faith" schools which can also be divisive when we should be doing our utmost to be inclusive but with the single proviso that children educated here should speak English.

I agree with that in principal, but I am sure people who primarily speak Gaelic would disagree that they are less British surely?. Of course the vast majority of these people, probably all of them, are bilingual but the point is still valid given there are some small communities where English is the second language, there are even Gaelic schools too.