Snow watch 2012/2013

Comments

• lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    occy wrote: »
    Heathrow don't want to be caught out like they did 2 years ago.

I could understand if it came as a surprise, but the forecasters have been talking about snow for days, so rather than discussing whether to cancel flights, they should be discussing how they are going to treat the runways & taxiways to prevent the snow being an issue in the first place and making sure that all aircraft deicing equipment is on standby!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bigshorts wrote: »
    I'm in an igloo near the North Pole and it's snowing here too!!! :eek:

Too cold to snow. Surely.
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    I could understand if it came as a surprise, but the forecasters have been talking about snow for days, so rather than discussing whether to cancel flights, they should be discussing how they are going to treat the runways & taxiways to prevent the snow being an issue in the first place and making sure that all aircraft deicing equipment is on standby!
    Exactly. Manchester Airport bought a whole load of de-icer after they had to shut a few years back and seem to be really on the case when it does snow. I flew out of there a couple of years ago when there was a load of snow and we were only delayed 20 mins!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,012
    Forum Member

Bliddy heck.......
    I bet they have never thought of that! :eek:
    You should apply for a the job of airport controller! :)
  • scotchscotch Posts: 10,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As someone who works for a long haul airline based at Heathrow - it's a basket case.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just started snowing here now, not heavy, but was supposed to start today, and supposedly snow all week.

Houghton-le-Spring, next to Washington/Sunderland, Nth East.
    Forum Member
    Still above freezing (2C) in Bristol, so any precipitation will be rain, TG.
    Forum Member
    Hmm, just went into the garden and it's snowing. So much for that theory.
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm, just went into the garden and it's snowing. So much for that theory.

Sod's law strikes with its finest timing
  • citiuscitius Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    heavy snow now coming down in Manchester
  • Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,420
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Grouty wrote: »
    Just started snowing here now, not heavy, but was supposed to start today, and supposedly snow all week.

I'm in Washington, it's good to see the snow! It's absolutely freezing outside though.
  • R410R410 Posts: 2,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grouty wrote: »

I know Houghton, my mother's family is from up there.

Just starting to snow lightly here in Guisborough, North Yorkshire too.
  • bgtensionbgtension Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Light snow now in Crewe.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At the risk of being silly is anyone else noticing that the snow has a more glittery/shiny/glistening quality to it? There's lots of sparkly bits in both the settled and falling snow.
  • Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing in East London. How prepared is London? We'll find out on the news tomorrow morning! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    Still coming down well in South Wales. :D I mean Booo I hate it :(
  • ShuttermazeShuttermaze Posts: 7,284
    Forum Member
    Ginger Nut wrote: »
    At the risk of being silly is anyone else noticing that the snow has a more glittery/shiny/glistening quality to it? There's lots of sparkly bits in both the settled and falling snow.

I said that to hub earlier. Could just be because it's blimming cold, so it's possibly frost falling too.. V pretty though, but it'll be a tad slippy!
  • Jamesollier18Jamesollier18 Posts: 1,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sticking a bit more in Salford now than a couple of hours ago
  • LastlaughLastlaugh Posts: 3,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still coming down well in South Wales. :D I mean Booo I hate it :(

It's snowing a bit in Cardiff, but the floor is so wet that I don't think it will stick. :( Fingers crossed though!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 449
    Forum Member
    Snowing here in Newcastle-Upon-Tyne - North Tyneside :)
    Light snow, but is expected to get heavy later this evening & snow expected all week.

Kyls :)
  • SpotSpot Posts: 25,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing yet here in Norfolk, but our turn comes tomorrow afternoon according to the forecast - really looking forward to it.
  • hooterhooter Posts: 30,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spot wrote: »
    Nothing yet here in Norfolk, but our turn comes tomorrow afternoon according to the forecast - really looking forward to it.

:cry::cry::cry:
  • gillypandagillypanda Posts: 13,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We're in Cheshire just south of Manchester, it's been snowing for 6 hours now and is laying :(
  • dragonrapidedragonrapide Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing here in West Sussex
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 260
    Forum Member
    Snowing very slightly here in Sunderland, only noticed because a few flakes landed on my tablet screen when I checked outside.