Options

The John James Appreciation Thread (Part 14)

Comments

• Options
    augusta92augusta92 Posts: 8,677
    Forum Member
    Lena, dont talk to me about trying to contact your local council ....Its a nightmare, and I have just given up trying. My local council have this brilliant scheme, whereby you sit for ages on the phone to get through to someone, who then writes a note of your query/ complaint, and tells you she is going to hand it over to the appropriate person, and When would it be convenient for them to call you back. ? When I told her I wasnt available on the phone during the day, the poor lady was lost.

Apparently my parents Drs are now doing the same trick, and the doctor will phone you back to discuss your symptoms and decide whether or not you actually need to come into the surgery.

Surely I cannot be the only person around whose job means it isnt convenient for me to contacted on the phone, whilst at work? Or should I be in the middle of teaching a lesson and yet still available for the waste department to speak to me at their convenience?

How do others with the same problem cope?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And re Margaret Thatcher. I have no wish to wish her any ill feeling at all. Im sure part of her was a nice lady, even if I didnt necessarily agree with many of her policies. BUT i am very cross that we are going to provide her with a state funeral or whatever it is actually called, that is going to cost tax payers millions, less than a month after introducing savage cuts to the welfare state.

If we dont have the money to support the poorest sections of our society, and those with disabilities etc, how can the state find or afford the money for a lavish funeral, for an ex politician? I just wish all of this funeral, including the costs for police overtime etc could have been provided privately.
  • Options
    Lindy_LoueLindy_Loue Posts: 9,874
    Forum Member
    Hi all :)

I'm sorry I haven't been around much :o I have become semi-obsessed with Broadchurch, and with the Broadchurch thread on here .. I don't usually get involved with 'whodunnits' but this one is about so much more ....I think! The theories you can come up with are endless.....:cool:

Anyway I have read through on here as well. Can't answer all posts I'd like to.....so am wishing everyone well :). Also, sympathise with you augusta re your daughter. Something similar happened to my daughter when she was 21. I have a pretty good idea who did it and why (no, I'm not talking about Broadchurch :p ).Could never prove it though and it was a horrible experience. Hope she's better now.

And well done to georgy's son on his job....hope the flat hunting is going well. We want the best for them at all times, don't we? I assume your early morning get ups will cease when he moves to the flat?? ;)

And....the council...and surgeries....and appointments ..Our doctor's surgery does the same now, you have a telephone 'triage' appointment with a doctor before they will agree that you need to see someone. Personally, it puts me off going anywhere near the place unless I absolutely have to....that could be part of their plan...but it does contradict all the other advice to see your doctor early about any suspicious symptoms etc. It's not easy to do that, feels like scaling the Berlin Wall sometimes :(

Have a good day all :)

PS Lena, how funny if you had got through to your OH about your complaint......there's a ''them and us'' mentality amongst some people that doesn't acknowledge that we are all part of the same society (*cuts rant off before starting*) :D

Lindy x
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hi Lindy I found the Broadchurch thread as well, its a fascinating series isnt it. Im loving the characterisation and the drama in tiny little things, as well as the bigger picture.

And isnt it interesting how despite the fact that the press are incredibly intrusive and annoying, they are the ones actually finding out most of the interesting and relevant facts ? Whereas the police are almost working in the dark with their hands tied.
  • Options
    nyannienyannie Posts: 8,536
    Forum Member
    Morning all

OMG Lena - I can't believe it! A friend of mine has had similar problems with Sky. Personally if I had a pop-up ad like your son had I'd report it to Ofcom. I have given up complaining to customer service. I find out who the MD/Chairman is and write to him/her - with a copy to my MP. I can't tell you how quick a response I get.

As for local councils - do not get me started on that one. I am about to call the Ombudsman as our 'consultation' period for a particular issue was a shambles. I get apoplectic just thinking about it.

I cannot complain about my GP surgery. They are very good If our GPs don't know what is the matter they refer you to someone - even London hospitals! I think of myself here. Nope, can't complain. They do a very good job for their registered 23,000 patients. Let me tell you, good or bad I thank the Lord for the NHS. If you can afford it, health care is terrific in the USA, if you can't - or if you are old - it is terrible. Two instances - my mother was 99 when she died. During my last trip home she told me that the doctors and nurses treated her very brusquely and she got the impression they were wasting their time with her. I also have a friend whose son has cancer and the insurance has run out so they have sold their cars and re-mortgaged their house to pay for the drugs. I too had a less than pleasant experience there. Let's also remember in France, they have a tiered system where you pay for different things.

Having worked in the local hospital for a number of years there is a terrific amount of waste with bureaucracy and tiers of management - I will never forget one 'manager' telling the sister to cut down on dressings - and it was a surgical ward.

Enough of a rant!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    augusta92 wrote: »
    Hi Lindy I found the Broadchurch thread as well, its a fascinating series isnt it. Im loving the characterisation and the drama in tiny little things, as well as the bigger picture.

And isnt it interesting how despite the fact that the press are incredibly intrusive and annoying, they are the ones actually finding out most of the interesting and relevant facts ? Whereas the police are almost working in the dark with their hands tied.

I keep falling asleep during Broadchurch but I think it is terrific.

I am trying to wean myself off the computer so try not to get involved in anymore threads - although I find the technical DS threads really interesting and helpful. Found out about alternatives to Microsoft Office.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My goodness I have been ranting - many apologies.

Have a lovely day everyone. I hope the rain doesn't dampen your spirits.
  • Options
    Lena JLena J Posts: 2,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all, hope your day's been as good as mine. :)

Started with a lovely 'catch up' chat with a dear friend, we were on the phone for nearly an hour, my battery ran out in the end. :o:D

Then I spent an enjoyable twenty minutes pottering in the garden in the sunshine, filling the bird baths and feeders, whilst the Chaffinches, Robins and Blackbirds fluttered in the trees above me.

The evergreen Clematis is in full flower, it's creamy star like petals fluttering in the gentle breeze and best of all I saw the first bumble bee of the season. I do believe spring is finally on the way. :)

I'm planning to invest in a bee nesting box that attracts non swarming bees, our bees are in serious decline. :(

Update on the bins...they were emptied yesterday lunchtime, less than four hours after I reported it. I have to say I was quite impressed by that, and I even felt a little sorry for the dustman (singular) when the penny dropped that it wasn't only my bin that needed emptying. I did tell them that, but don't think that bit got passed on.

As we live in a road that has no access for cars (you have to park at the end and walk in) the poor chap had to go backwards and forwards with all ten wheelie bins. By the fifth bin he was on his phone to the office, I could hear the one sided conversation through closed windows. :eek::D

As for Sky email.......DON'T GET ME STARTED!! :mad:

This is the only blot on my otherwise perfect day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nyannie wrote: »
    My goodness I have been ranting - many apologies.

Have a lovely day everyone. I hope the rain doesn't dampen your spirits.

You rant away nyannie, it's good to vent. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lena J wrote: »

Started with a lovely 'catch up' chat with a dear friend, we were on the phone for nearly an hour, my battery ran out in the end. :o:D

Then I spent an enjoyable twenty minutes pottering in the garden in the sunshine, filling the bird baths and feeders, whilst the Chaffinches, Robins and Blackbirds fluttered in the trees above me.

The evergreen Clematis is in full flower, it's creamy star like petals fluttering in the gentle breeze and best of all I saw the first bumble bee of the season. I do believe spring is finally on the way. :)

I'm planning to invest in a bee nesting box that attracts non swarming bees, our bees are in serious decline. :(

Update on the bins...they were emptied yesterday lunchtime, less than four hours after I reported it. I have to say I was quite impressed by that, and I even felt a little sorry for the dustman (singular) when the penny dropped that it wasn't only my bin that needed emptying. I did tell them that, but don't think that bit got passed on.

As we live in a road that has no access for cars (you have to park at the end and walk in) the poor chap had to go backwards and forwards with all ten wheelie bins. By the fifth bin he was on his phone to the office, I could hear the one sided conversation through closed windows. :eek::D

evening all, ive had a busy day as well, shopping, sewing and then reminding myself how to ski on the dry slope. assisted by my extremely tolerant daughter. I want to go ski ing again this winter, and need months to get myself ready again !!!

Its great fun, but.....my biggest problem, apart from being totally unfit and out of condition:D Are the boots, I have always had really big shins, and boots are just too narrow to fit comfortably.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I had a lovely day too - had a long catch-up with a very dear friend. Nice to have someone to talk to who is kind and supportive - and lets you rant!

My garden is about to sprout - every day there are more daffodils but with the exception of my pot by the front door there aren't any tulips. Believe it or not, my snowdrops only just died down.

Your council sounds very efficient Lena. We can sometimes wait up to a day if they miss our bins. Speaking of bins, I learned on a retirement seminar that if you have a side gate or ground floor windows you shouldn't leave bins in full view. Burglars can use them to gain access over the gate or into the windows. Never forgotten that.

Have you sorted out your email yet?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    augusta92 wrote: »
    evening all, ive had a busy day as well, shopping, sewing and then reminding myself how to ski on the dry slope. assisted by my extremely tolerant daughter. I want to go ski ing again this winter, and need months to get myself ready again !!!

Its great fun, but.....my biggest problem, apart from being totally unfit and out of condition:D Are the boots, I have always had really big shins, and boots are just too narrow to fit comfortably.

What a lovely day augusta. I used to ski a lot - mostly Andorra - before I had my accident. I used to love it. One exercise I used to do was to bend my knees when I was standing on a tube train. It mimics some of the small lumps and bumps on the slopes.

Think we will have to enter you into the next 'SEWING BEE' Augusta - sadly the only memories I have of sewing are picking out uneven stitches on an apron!

Hope everyone has a lovely day today.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    nyannie wrote: »
    What a lovely day augusta. I used to ski a lot - mostly Andorra - before I had my accident. I used to love it. One exercise I used to do was to bend my knees when I was standing on a tube train. It mimics some of the small lumps and bumps on the slopes.

Think we will have to enter you into the next 'SEWING BEE' Augusta - sadly the only memories I have of sewing are picking out uneven stitches on an apron!

Hope everyone has a lovely day today.

morning all...

Its raining here, but maybe the garden needed it.

Dont enter me for a sewing bee, I dont think Im quite up to their standard yet....:eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well after a damp start the sun came out, but boy is it breezy! :eek:

I see they're promising us warmer weather into next week, so I shall make preparation for the pleasant 10 days of summer that we've been treated to for the last couple of years. :rolleyes:

We have new contractor's for our waste collections nyannie, the old ones were lazy so and so's who would jam all the rubbish into as few wheelie bins as possible, take them down to the end of the road and then leave them there after they were emptied, blocking the path up to our houses in the process. When we had the snow they didn't come for a fortnight!!

I've told O/H that I shall award him a gold star to go with the tick on his little badge. :D

Email still not sorted, works randomly. There are two laptops and a desk top in this house and we're all experiencing different problems.

O/H has found that his contacts list doesn't seem to work. When he uses it rather than typing in the email address manually the messages aren't arriving. He can't open attachments either.

A load of my emails are still AWOL, doubt I shall ever see them again. Also, I have messages that should go to my inbox being dumped straight into spam.

My son has found that if he opens an email on his smart phone, when he looks for it on his laptop it's been dumped into trash.

Oh and of course the adverts are still there (or the empty spaces if you download ad blocker).

I see there are parents complaining that their under sixteen children are also having dating service ads on their email page.

The whole thing is a very sorry mess. I'm arranging to have our broadband moved to BT, I've made enquiries and I need to get a MAC number from Sky and BT will do the rest. :)
  • Options
    georgyporgygeorgyporgy Posts: 5,680
    Forum Member
    Good evening jjat

i would join in with the ranting
    but i have nothing to rant about :D

the gardener has been and turn all the beds over
    couldn't mow the lawn
    due to the heavy rain :o
    but the garden is starting to look nice :D

never been skiing Augusta and Nyannie
    and i don,t know why
    think i would really enjoy the hot toddies
    not so much the exercise :o

and Lena what can i say
    anything i suppose
    except the word SKY :mad: :eek: :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well after a damp start the sun came out, but boy is it breezy! :eek:

I see they're promising us warmer weather into next week, so I shall make preparation for the pleasant 10 days of summer that we've been treated to for the last couple of years. :rolleyes:

We have new contractor's for our waste collections nyannie, the old ones were lazy so and so's who would jam all the rubbish into as few wheelie bins as possible, take them down to the end of the road and then leave them there after they were emptied, blocking the path up to our houses in the process. When we had the snow they didn't come for a fortnight!!

I've told O/H that I shall award him a gold star to go with the tick on his little badge. :D

Email still not sorted, works randomly. There are two laptops and a desk top in this house and we're all experiencing different problems.

O/H has found that his contacts list doesn't seem to work. When he uses it rather than typing in the email address manually the messages aren't arriving. He can't open attachments either.

A load of my emails are still AWOL, doubt I shall ever see them again. Also, I have messages that should go to my inbox being dumped straight into spam.

My son has found that if he opens an email on his smart phone, when he looks for it on his laptop it's been dumped into trash.

Oh and of course the adverts are still there (or the empty spaces if you download ad blocker).

I see there are parents complaining that their under sixteen children are also having dating service ads on their email page.

The whole thing is a very sorry mess. I'm arranging to have our broadband moved to BT, I've made enquiries and I need to get a MAC number from Sky and BT will do the rest. :)

We moved to BT around six months ago and have been very
    happy, very good, fast and reliable service
    hope you have the same joy :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Good Morning JJat

The SUN IS SHINING

going to spend the day out
    making the most of it
    before it goes away :D:D:D:D:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Morning all.

Sun has been in and out and I have just spent about 20 minutes looking at all my plants.

Wonder how John will fare this year in the Australian winter.

Lena, so sorry to hear about you email problems. I had that (not using old contacts) and we had to go back to Restore Session. Hope you get switched asap.

Just about to make some vegetable soup. Hope it works out with half a carrot, parsnip, pepper, tomatoes, onions and some kale. Think I'll add some barley and chickpeas.

Have a lovely day everyone.
  • Options
    bbloverbblover Posts: 41,663
    Forum Member
    Hope life treating y'all well.:)xxx
  • Options
    ellemayellemay Posts: 1,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bblover wrote: »

You too x I think we are all still here reading the thread. x
  • Options
    ucra girlucra girl Posts: 19,741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ellemay wrote: »
    You too x I think we are all still here reading the thread. x

Hiya:):)
  • Options
    Forum Member

morning...

well I had a lovely day yesterday meeting up with Ali and Kay in Bath, and of course the irrepressible L. Bath is a beautiful city, shame about the rain....

Now I just have to look forwards to meeting up in London as well....:D:p:D

But I dont know how my OH does it, I like travelling but .....driving back on the M25 in the rain isnt fun.

Im ordering a bee pack as well, so I can plant lots of bee friendly flowers. But they seem to love my garden in any case, and are always buzzing around my lavender.

love m
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Who was this thread started for? I hope he is enjoying life, but he is a bit distant at times....:-D
  • Options
    Forum Member

It certainly is. Good to see you bblover. Hope life is treating you well too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ucra girl wrote: »
    Hiya:):)

Hi to you too. Hope all is well with you - weather is great at the moment and garden is sprouting!