Oblivion

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    I wasn't too impressed. Its nice to look at, good visuals, but little else. The story was boring. Not awful by any means, but a film I'd never sit through again. 5/10
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    My husband and I went to watch this on Saturday. We were really looking forward to it. But came out the cinema quite disappointed. I thought with having Tom and Morgan in it it maybe half decent. I would give it a 6/10.
  • Hitchhiker553Hitchhiker553 Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw it this afternoon, enjoyed it and glad I went to see it on the big screen. 7.5/10.
  • SpacedoneSpacedone Posts: 2,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had no idea what it was about before seeing it and I must say I was pleasantly surprised to find a decent science fiction story that had had a bit of thought put into it.
  • WhovianWhovian Posts: 852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I tend to agree with the review below that it is a real patchwork of well known sci-fi movies. In fact, I had fun spotting the inspiration for each scene.
    http://www.bedfordshire-news.co.uk/Lifestyle-and-leisure/Movies/FILM-REVIEW-Oblivion-20130416105830.htm
  • Jamandell (d69)Jamandell (d69) Posts: 3,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed this film (though my boyfriend hated it). It was a great sci-fi I was able to delve into, and it has an absolutely fantastic soundtrack - which I'm listening to again right now on Spotify :)
  • stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    I saw it at the BFI IMAX yesterday. As a sidenote, there was a film crew there doing some filming about the BFI IMAX building and its design - interesting to watch from a far. As for the film, well, it did look incredible on the IMAX screen. There are so many homages in the film(2001, Wall-E, Star Wars, Moon, Silent Running, etc). The film itself, yeah I pretty much agree with most of what has been said here - visually stunning but lacking an emotional narrative. It could have done with losing some of its reliance on the visuals, cut about 30 minutes from its running time and develop the story a bit better. You could sort of see the ending coming. On the plus note Riseborough's character's plight gave the film some emotional depth and also the stuff about the
    clones
    I didn't see coming.

It was entertaining, but if you compare to two recent cerebral sci fi films like "Moon" and "District 9" then it pales into significance. They were much more full of ideas than this film was - and had much better realised storylines.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    I'm giving this one a miss. The trailer doesn't sell the film IMO. Yes it's all pretty CGI visuals as you would expect in a sci-fi film but that appears to be it as far as the trailer goes.
    This has lhe look and feel of Prometheus about it to me. Very long, lots of CGI and a bit of a boring slog to get through. One person on this thread said the first hour of the film sets the story up. That is a huge chunk of a two hour film to have as story setting.

This film is likely to live or die by the word of mouth as the trailer really isn't selling it as anything other than a CGI-fest IMO.
  • nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    Saw this yesterday and thought it was very stylish, and made quite a lot of sense. In other words, someone had bothered to concoct a believable plot. Not quite a modern day classic, but close enough.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've seen this 3 times and it's by far the best film this year
  • Nattie01Nattie01 Posts: 1,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My daughter wanted to see it as she has a thing about Tom Cruise so I went along without any expectations. I really liked it and would like to see it again on IMAX - but the Bradford one doesn't appear to be showing it Boo :mad:

The soundtrack in particular is exceptional. One of my all time favourites.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with a lot of other posters-nice visuals but it was trying to be too many other movies. I really liked Riseborough, and felt really sorry for her at the end.

5/10 for me. Not dreadful but wouldn't rewatch any time soon.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was very disappointed, it dragged 5/10.

The best thing was
    spotting the 'Kingslayer' Jamie Lannister AKA Nikolaj Coster-Waldau :D
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well it looked great , a kinda beautiful post-apocalypse , but it dragged , felt really long .

so when the twists came I wasn't really impressed , or I was still confused. It seemed better thinking about it afterwards , and there wasn't enough Olga !

question -
    why did the Scavs shoot Cruise in the chest and how did he survive it ?
  • gouldfathergouldfather Posts: 802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well it looked great , a kinda beautiful post-apocalypse , but it dragged , felt really long .

so when the twists came I wasn't really impressed , or I was still confused. It seemed better thinking about it afterwards , and there wasn't enough Olga !

question -
    why did the Scavs shoot Cruise in the chest and how did he survive it ?

Hello:)
    He shot him because I think he was just fed up with thinking Freeman's plan would work and obviously hated the Cruise clones as they had been his enemy for years.
    Not sure why he wasn't injured but I can only assume his weapon was on a low 'stun' setting or maybe the clones are super resiliant
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here is a list of films which I thought 'influenced' the film: I don't think this is such a bad thing as people make out as it was like a sci-fi fan tribute film.
    American landmarks in ruins: Planet of the Apes
    Future Earth with litte plant life: Silent Running
    Last person on Earth idea: WALL-E
    Finding out you are a clone: Moon
    Reality is not as you think: Matrix
    A computer intelligence that is bad: 2001
    An undermanned rebel army in the future: Star Wars
    Sneaking onto the mothership to destroy it: Independence Day
    Giant hovering ships over the planet: District 9
    The Scavs stealth outfit: Predator
    An oasis in an otherwise dead world: Mad Max
    I also remember a Calvin and Hobbes cartoon where aliens came and sucked up all the oceans -OK that's a bit tenuous:p

That's off the top of my head, can anyone think of any more?:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    SWMBO and I enjoyed the film. 7/10

Proably the best movie we've seen this year so far (quite a few being released in the next 6 weeks).

Listening to the soundtrack as I write this.
    Saw Oblivion on Friday, ordered the soundtrack cd on Saturday. It arrived yesterday already ripped to usb stick for the car, playing it on pc whilst on that and then on the stereo to do it justice.

Would have been a poor film without a soundtrack as good as this.
  • boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to the BFI IMAX today, wasn't sure what to expect but I enjoyed the experience the sound and visuals played to the IMAX strengths.
    Also never noticed Andrea rise borough before, thought she was achingly stylish and beautiful.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here is a list of films which I thought 'influenced' the film: I don't think this is such a bad thing as people make out as it was like a sci-fi fan tribute film.
    American landmarks in ruins: Planet of the Apes
    Future Earth with litte plant life: Silent Running
    Last person on Earth idea: WALL-E
    Finding out you are a clone: Moon
    Reality is not as you think: Matrix
    A computer intelligence that is bad: 2001
    An undermanned rebel army in the future: Star Wars
    Sneaking onto the mothership to destroy it: Independence Day
    Giant hovering ships over the planet: District 9
    The Scavs stealth outfit: Predator
    An oasis in an otherwise dead world: Mad Max
    I also remember a Calvin and Hobbes cartoon where aliens came and sucked up all the oceans -OK that's a bit tenuous:p

That's off the top of my head, can anyone think of any more?:)

Tom Cruise tending to his little flower in a can thing near the start also reminded me of WALL-E:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    emma172 wrote: »
    Tom Cruise tending to his little flower in a can thing near the start also reminded me of WALL-E:)

Yes that's true:)

My friend Big Mike also reminded me of one more which I was thinking about but couldn't quite get:
    when the drone attacks the secret rebel base it was like Terminator:p
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    emma172 wrote: »

The trailers made me think of WALL-E as well.
  • mintchocchipmintchocchip Posts: 16,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw this last night, it was fine. Like others have said Andrea Riseborough is the best thing in it.

Has Olga ever been anything but totally wet in her roles? I don't think she's a bad actress but she never seems to do much!
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm beginning to suspect that Mr Cruise has a clause in his contracts that require him to be dangled from a rope in every film. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    SWMBO and I enjoyed the film. 7/10

Proably the best movie we've seen this year so far (quite a few being released in the next 6 weeks).

Listening to the soundtrack as I write this.
    Saw Oblivion on Friday, ordered the soundtrack cd on Saturday. It arrived yesterday already ripped to usb stick for the car, playing it on pc whilst on that and then on the stereo to do it justice.

Would have been a poor film without a soundtrack as good as this.

It was a good soundtrack (if a little too close to Hans Zimmer's brilliant Batman scores in places), but I did feel that at times they could have dialled it back a bit, I'm thinking particularly of the unnecessarily epic and loud music that was played over the swimming pool sex scene, a more sedate piece of music would have better suited the scene rather than the epic booming theme that was there instead, it made the scene almost comical for me.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rorschach wrote: »
    I'm beginning to suspect that Mr Cruise has a clause in his contracts that require him to be dangled from a rope in every film. :D

there's probably some Freudian explanation for that but I'm not smart enough to spot it .