Should someone with a temper have a firearms license?

Comments

• CoconutcreampieCoconutcreampie Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    nanscombe wrote: »
    Making a list of people to get back at.

Isn't that the sort of thing American gunmen seem to do before going berserk in a public place?

Gunmen "going beserk in a public place" occurs in many countries.
  • MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    nanscombe wrote: »
    Making a list of people to get back at.

Isn't that the sort of thing American gunmen seem to do before going berserk in a public place?

They often seem to, don't they:D
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone who can't think rationally when getting angry shouldn't have a gun licence.
  • Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    I'll get him back somehow. He's on my list.

I'd be concerned by you than some guy complaining because he doesn't like your dog approaching him when it isn't on a lead.
  • netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Put your dog on a lead, it's not hard.
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Surely this is a wind up
  • tim_smithtim_smith Posts: 772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    charger21 wrote: »
    My dream is to mount my guns to my bullbars and go around town shooting cats

Naughty, stop winding people up;)
  • lem ramsaylem ramsay Posts: 1,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't find it a good combination tbh, but obviously not everyone who has a temper would misuse a shotgun etc.
    Stay away from him if possible and don't let your dogs get anywhere near him, especially if you're not present.
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently Thomas Hamilton was always seemingly calm and even-tempered....
  • MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
    Maybe should make it up to him by offering to boil his rabbits for him.
  • peopleschmeoplepeopleschmeople Posts: 604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deleted. What's the point?
  • CoconutcreampieCoconutcreampie Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    Deleted. What's the point?

I read your post before you deleted it and your honesty is commendable but you don't seem to accept that you were wrong for not having your dog on a leash.

I'm also not a fan of people that hunt for pleasure, though I soften up quite a bit when it comes to out of control wild pigs that need to be either eradicated or greatly reduced in numbers in certain countries. That said, I know many hunters and while I disagree on their kind of hunting none of them are difficult to get along with. I wouldn't be surprised if you at least apologized for your dog not being on a leash and approaching him that his tone might lighten up. You may both be happier as a result.
  • NatoPMTNatoPMT Posts: 3,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This happened in the UK, not in America. While some common sense things are comparable you shouldn't be grouping the UK with a country that not only has a constitutional right to bear arms but also has very different attitude towards guns. I would stick to the common sense aspect and leave America out of the discussion. At worse it will derail the discussion and at best it has no relevance.

Eh? If the US have a very different attitude, a more relaxed one, and a quick temper is of concern there... not sure your answer is relevant to my post, nor that it derailed anything. I was responding to whether someone should have a temper and a firearm from a discussion perspective, I had already posted regarding UK guns licensing laws. Easier to find discussion answers to that from a place where guns are more available.

With regards to the UK, Im not sure that it would count as a reason to revoke, however for the second time - it would be up to the license board to decide. I read of a case where a man had his license revoked (in the UK) because he had marriage counselling as this was considered a mental health issue.
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He may be a complete arse but that doesn't mean he should have his licence revoked!

Next time, just ignore him and walk away, don't even get into a discussion with him regardless of the abuse, it makes him look the like the arse then!
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Given the nature of the OPs posts in this thread, and others, I think we have to take her perception of this guy with a sizeable pinch of salt.

Frankly, I suspect that if any of us was approached by somebody with the attitude displayed in this thread we might be tempted to respond in kind.
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Given the nature of the OPs posts in this thread, and others, I think we have to take her perception of this guy with a sizeable pinch of salt.

Frankly, I suspect that if any of us was approached by somebody with the attitude displayed in this thread we might be tempted to respond in kind.

I didn't read the whole thread tbh :o Just responding to the OP!
  • WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NatoPMT wrote: »
    The OP is not the one with a gun. The issue asked about isn't that should someone have a dog on a lead, or should someone have a quick temper or not, it's should someone have quick temper own a gun.

And again, there are reasons for strict licensing.

"Any individual who is absent minded or accident prone, has a volatile temper or is depressed should be very wary of keeping guns in the home."

"If one has a very, very short temper and is prone to violence, again owning a gun might not be a good idea."

"People applying for gun licenses now undergo rigorous checks, which take into account issues like a person’s temper, recurring issues of violence, abuse of alcohol"

...from UK and US sites

Reporting the man wont automatically revoke his license, but it will give the licensing board the opportunity to come to their own decision.

And yet the OP has presented no evidence to suggest the man in question has a "quick temper". (I'm still waiting for her definition of what exactly that is, by the way.) A person may be rude but it doesn't mean they're a danger to society - gun or no gun.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And what attitude would that be? Do please elaborate.

Last night I was out alone walking my dogs, minding my own business, when I encountered a grown man, who was with another man, who began to shout aggressively at me like a lunatic. That's what happened and is not exaggerated in any way. Would you have perceived that differently? How would you have responded?

This was not a case of him feeling threatened by a small, friendly mongrel dog. The simple fact that she wasn't on a lead at the time is what set him off. That and mistaken identity since he thought my dog had attacked his ferret.
    Forum Member
    And what attitude would that be? Do please elaborate.

Last night I was out alone walking my dogs, minding my own business, when I encountered a grown man, who was with another man, who began to shout aggressively at me like a lunatic. That's what happened and is not exaggerated in any way. Would you have perceived that differently? How would you have responded?

This was not a case of him feeling threatened by a small, friendly mongrel dog. The simple fact that she wasn't on a lead at the time is what set him off. That and mistaken identity since he thought my dog had attacked his ferret.

Mostly the part where you refuse to take any responsibility for the actions of your pet, the way you freely admit to remonstrating with the person who your dog approached, made baseless assumptions about the person in question, threatened retaliation against the person and then decided to phone to police for good measure.

*EDIT*
    Oh, and then decided to make a thread on an internet forum to bleat about it some more.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mostly the part where you refuse to take any responsibility for the actions of your pet, the way you freely admit to remonstrating with the person who your dog approached, made baseless assumptions about the person in question, threatened retaliation against the person and then decided to phone to police for good measure.

*EDIT*
    Oh, and then decided to make a thread on an internet forum to bleat about it some more.

There were no actions on the part of my dog to take responsibility for. She didn't do anything - no barking, growling, snarling, etc - some curious sniffing at the most. These were two grown men, not children. I accept that she should've been on a lead if that makes you happy. We'd just come from the park and I was just about to put the lead on her.

I actually can't believe that anyone would defend the actions of a man that thinks it's acceptable to shout and swear at an unaccompanied female at night-time. Would he have behaved in this way if I'd been a man? I think not.

What if I'd been religious and offended by his foul language? His opening words were "Get that effing dog on an effing lead, hen!"
    Forum Member
    I actually can't believe that anyone would defend the actions of a man that thinks it's acceptable to shout and swear at an unaccompanied female at night-time. Would he have reacted the same if I'd been a man? I think not.

Again, your posts in this thread, and others, suggests that's a rather sanitised version of actual events.
    Forum Member
    What if I'd been religious and offended by his foul language? His opening words were "Get that effing dog on an effing lead, hen!"

Then I'd hope your response would be an apology followed by compliance with his request, rather than engaging him in a heated exchange.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Again, your posts in this thread, and others, suggests that's a rather sanitised version of actual events.

Again I would ask you to elaborate on this suggestion. I can confirm that events occurred as described, however. Which part don't you believe?
    Forum Member
    Again I would ask you to elaborate on this suggestion. I can confirm that events occurred as described, however. Which part don't you believe?

Pretty much everything you've posted if I'm honest.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Then I'd hope your response would be an apology followed by compliance with his request, rather than engaging him in a heated exchange.

This was hardly a request; if it had been, I would've apologised and that would've been the end of the matter.