The Bridge 2 - BBC4

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    To have only those two entries in the phone's call log looks suspicously like she has been deleting entries.

Could Katarina have just deleted the record of the call to the cops? Or would she have had to delete all the outgoings and start again? If it's the former then she doesn't phone many people, just Dad and Matilde.:D
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,508
    Forum Member
    I can delete individual calls on my phone.
  • Ian CleverlyIan Cleverly Posts: 10,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saga's new boyfriend is the real mystery - so far his only purpose (drama-wise) seems to be as a potential hostage, but we'll see over the next month or so!

Although he does have underwear that not even an 8 year old me would've worn :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    I can delete individual calls on my phone.

Assuming she just deleted the copcall that means she only phones her dad and Matilde.

I wondered if Matilde had twigged her for a grass and she was for the chop after the hijack. But I think she may be safe.

On the other hand the cops knew the code for the doorlock. That could only come from one of the gang. Did Mads see the moment the door was opened. Or did he come later on. Can't remember that bit.
  • Stone FreeStone Free Posts: 1,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The actress who plays Laura, Julia Ragnarsson, was in the Ch4 drama The Fear. It was about a crime boss who has dementia. She played aa Albanian prostitute IIRC? I knew I recognised her but had to look her up to place her.

Katarina is credited as Kattis in the end titles. Is this the Swedish/Danish version I wonder?
    Weird there seems to be two entries in IMDB for her. One as you say was in "The Fear" and The Bridge, and the other was in Wallender. However the picture of the girl in Wallender seems to be the one we are seeing in The Bridge.

Think the two entries need to be mergedd
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stone Free wrote: »
    Weird there seems to be two entries in IMDB for her. One as you say was in "The Fear" and The Bridge, and the other was in Wallender. However the picture of the girl in Wallender seems to be the one we are seeing in The Bridge.

Think the two entries need to be mergedd

Swedish Wiki have her in all of the above.
    http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julia_Ragnarsson

She was in a couple of Wallanders. In the first she would be about 14. I think she was one of the girls who went horse riding? The second Wallander appearance was in the Branagh version of Sidetracked I think.

PS
    She played Johanna in Den Svaga Punkten(The Tricksters). A story from Season 1 of Krister's version of Wallander. She was the young girl in pink who rode her bike to the farm to ride the horses with her friend. She looks exactly the same - but younger. If that makes any sense.
  • Miriam_RMiriam_R Posts: 4,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ChipPaper wrote: »
    It's never been said she has autism, though, has it? Not saying she hasn't, I mean given the way she acts I'd guess she's on the spectrum. I've never really seen Saga as 'the autistic policewoman', I don't bring that into how I characterise her. Even though it's a big part of her character, I see more than that, if that makes sense. I've never thought of Saga as representative of any or all autistic people though.

In write ups they use the word a lot, so even if on the actual show the characters don't utter the word, she is playing something along the lines of that. Actually I think I read something where the actress, Sophia Helin, spoke about how she was playing the character in relation to how she was so... I think is playing the character in that way. But I will try and find that write up again (in this mass wide web) and see what the precise description she used was.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    phill363 wrote: »
    Love that this is back and still as gripping as it ever was, can't wait for the next episodes.

I agree, it's a real highlight, especially as 'Sherlock' has proved to be such a disappointment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately I can't find that interview, will keep searching tomorrow, but Aspergers is the word that Diane Kruger uses for her version of Saga (which is the US version). I have def read autism used in writeups before (whether the authors have used the word wrongly or rightly) for this version of The Bridge, and possibly Aspergers has been used too, but autism was the most recent description that popped up when I was reading about this series so that has description has stuck in my mind. But on some public comment forums some people just take things too seriously when it comes to TV and can't just take that character as an individual, whether they are reflection of a mass or minority group. TV can't always represent everyone exact to everyone's real life experience so just enjoy the show as a show, it's not a documentary (which even if was, still might not represent all).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Miriam_R wrote: »
    Unfortunately I can't find that interview, will keep searching tomorrow, but Aspergers is the word that Diane Kruger uses for her version of Saga (which is the US version). I have def read autism used in writeups before (whether the authors have used the word wrongly or rightly) for this version of The Bridge, and possibly Aspergers has been used too, but autism was the most recent description that popped up when I was reading about this series so that has description has stuck in my mind. But on some public comment forums some people just take things too seriously when it comes to TV and can't just take that character as an individual, whether they are reflection of a mass or minority group. TV can't always represent everyone exact to everyone's real life experience so just enjoy the show as a show, it's not a documentary (which even if was, still might not represent all).

Sofia Helin gave an interview to the Guardian in 2012. She talked briefly about how she arrived at the character of Saga.

Many viewers have spotted traits suggesting that Saga is on the autistic spectrum. Helin says this was always intentional – the writer gave her clear instructions about the character's emotional parameters, although he told her it was not something Saga was aware of herself. Helin also conducted her own research, reading books by people with Asperger's syndrome, and said it helped her to understand the thought processes of her character better.
    http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2012/may/12/bridge-sofia-helin-saga-interview
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sofia Helin gave an interview with the Guardian in 2012 about how she arrived at the character of Saga.

Many viewers have spotted traits suggesting that Saga is on the autistic spectrum. Helin says this was always intentional – the writer gave her clear instructions about the character's emotional parameters, although he told her it was not something Saga was aware of herself. Helin also conducted her own research, reading books by people with Asperger's syndrome, and said it helped her to understand the thought processes of her character better.
    http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2012/may/12/bridge-sofia-helin-saga-interview

Thanks for rooting this writeup Keith. Funny because I was trying to find a Swedish interview which I converted into English but this pretty much is similar in content (I suppose as the questions and talking points are the same whatever language put forward in). I'm sure I read this one too at some point (as I read so many)! And yes I was always aware that Sofia Helin was intentionally playing saga in a certain way (regardless of whether the characters know it or say it out loud). Thanks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Miriam_R wrote: »
    Thanks for rooting this writeup Keith. Funny because I was trying to find a Swedish interview which I converted into English but this pretty much is similar in content (I suppose as the questions and talking points are the same whatever language put forward in). I'm sure I read this one too at some point (as I read so many)! And yes I was always aware that Sofia Helin was intentionally playing saga in a certain way (regardless of whether the characters know it or say it out loud). Thanks.

You're welcome M.:)

I'd forgotten exactly how Sofia scarred her face, so was looking up old articles to refresh my memory.

Saga seems odder than ever now she's trying to be a bit of a chameleon and blend in more. I loved her answer to Martin when he told her to stop laughing at jokes she didn't get. Something along the lines of she'll improve with practice. She's a determined young lady(although Sofia will hit 42 this April!). I wonder if this is something Sofia Helin has researched herself. How Asperger sufferers can learn coping skills to adapt to life better. Or whether it's just something the writers wanted to put in.

Remember she reported Martin for a trivial incident on the Bridge in the first ever episode. She's come a long way since then. Now she's worried she could be called as a witness if Martin does anything wrong whilst on duty. But no hint she will report him for hitting parking fee guy and drawing his service weapon. So she has changed quite a bit from when we first met her. Although it's debatable if Martin is fit enough to be carrying a loaded gun. Maybe it would have been better if she had reported him? Seeing people who aren't there is not a good sign for armed officers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 304
    Forum Member
    ChipPaper wrote: »
    So glad this is back. Loving seeing Saga and Martin back together. It feels wrong laughing and smiling through a show like this but I can't help it. Saga and Martin in the car, with her turning on the radio :D And telling her boyfriend Martin says hi. . .right after sex :D:D

Those videos of the people in animal masks creep me out. I find that sort of thing creepy. That said, I couldn't help singing 'What does the fox say?' in my head at the time :pThe eco-terrorism storyline's a bit :confused: Not sure how I feel about it but I'm sticking with it (of course).

I'm liking Laura, the stroppy student. Hook up with your teacher, then blackmail them for shoes. Classic bitch move :D Not sure how she's linked, but I'm sure we'll find out.

Also, Rasmus is my new Scandi-crush. I think he's gorgeous. And I don't blame him for following Saga around. I'm obsessed with her too.

Fastest two hours in a long time. Can't wait for the next episodes :D

Can't remember how to quote just a little bit, but yes, that's exactly what I thought when I saw that! :)
    Forum Member
    Haven't read all the thread so apologies if this has been asked before. The guy at Laura's IT company had a photo of a young woman on his desk. Is this lady the bossy woman in the eco group. Or is it a photo of Pernille - the cop who fancies Martin. To me the two women look very alike.

I thought they looked very alike too. I think it might just be the scraped back hair and large hooped earrings but I do think that they are the same person.
    Forum Member
    Just watched both episodes and love it, so glad it's back. I found the scene where they are both going up in the lift in ep2 so touching I actually let out a tear!

My only criticism is that it seems to be moving at a faster pace than series1, in terms of how quickly they're discovering things.

In terms of observations,like others above I thought that Pernille the cop and Matilde were the same person. Although perhaps Pernille is going to be the new love interest to break up Mette and Martin.

I don't think Saga's boyfriend is anything other than love interest. The boy (Linus?) however is definitely potential hostage material. Possibly to blackmail his brother.

The lesbian teacher/student relationship is interesting, if a little bit cliche. I thought when she asked for the 1500 kroner (how much is that?) she was lying when she said she wanted it for shoes. Then when she asked for shoes from her teacher I was confused as clearly she wasn't lying...
  • WoodentopWoodentop Posts: 3,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saga is getting more and more fascinating as time goes on. The previous work with Martin had an influence on her that was demonstrated when August was taken and killed. She had moving moments with Martin and seemed to realise the time had come to try relationships as advised by Martin.

We now see the fruition of this and that it's still far from easy or suited. But the return of their relationship and work is absolutely brilliant now. She has seen the effect on Martin and is acting as usual, with the exception of turning a blind eye to his anger and outbursts,well for now.

But it's clear they need this time, personally and emotionally for Martin and professionally for Saga. Yet the flow of advice imparted by Martin will help her more in trying to conform. The excellent casting and portrayal is making these two come to life and feel like real people. Weird I know, but they draw us to invest heavily in their lives and actions that it seems plausible.
  • FranglaisFranglais Posts: 3,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm always amazed at how well Martin and Saga understand each other's conversations without having to ask for clarification. I suppose Eastern Danish spoken in Copenhagen and Western Swedish spoken in Malmö are closer in similarity than say between Östersund (Sweden) and Ålborg (Denmark), both further north, where they might have to resort to English as the default language?
  • ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    It's getting a bit focused on sex isn't it.

Loved the conversation when saga asked Martin if he was good at sex :D
  • WoodentopWoodentop Posts: 3,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another fascinating two hours of great viewing. A continued perfect balance of serious police drama and personal interaction.

Just about all our ideas and assumptions are proving correct and is perhaps a sign of having garnered understanding or insight of the minds of the writers. The story is moving at a pace and eliminations without any obvious direction of where next, but nevertheless each stage is being presented and left at a point of wonder and intrigue.

Saga was on form and hilarious when asking Martin about sex and being concerned at the lack of it in his life presently. The continuation of their chats and mutual offerings on each others personal lives are beginning to alter how they act as imagined. What was nice to see was Saga having the clarity of kindness to appease Linus from anxiety or blame for the death of his brother and allowing him to hug her in thanks. Slowly, she is showing change, but we don't want to lose the wonder that we have grown to love.

She's onto Pernille and has left Martin managing to question the opportunity presented and yet is allowing her own relationship to slide to a break up, with there being no real communication or affection. Probably for the best for her and certainly us in a way in keeping the strangeness. Another great element is her skills in working through the evidence from the dead bodies at the morgue and how impressed the coroner is by the analysis.

Rasmus is a slippery character and is desperate to enhance his career, but is making mistakes that obviously are going to lead to something bad.
  • InigoMontoyaInigoMontoya Posts: 1,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm so pleased to see this show back. The interaction between Saga and Martin is a joy to watch.

Not sure what the etiquette is here on speculation so I'll hide my current theories:
    Alexander knows Caroline was lying about the wine glasses because he is sleeping with Bodil. The latter's enthusiastic interest in her sister's sex life is either caused by guilt or by a devious plan to get Alexander out of the marriage with as much cash as possible.

"Mother of Three" is the environmental speaker Caroline has engaged to replace the one who was poisoned. His death was a first step and done a la Christie's "The ABC Murders." Although Rasmus has seriously screwed up, he wasn't wrong about there being no eco-terrorist marker in one case because that was the one specially targetted to get rid of Mother of Three's rival.
  • Department_SDepartment_S Posts: 4,918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saga's boyfriend is purely there to shop window Saga's personality issues. I don't see him at all as part of the crime story. Wasn't the guy she was having a relationship,with in Series 1 just a similar character. Had nothing to do with the main plot.

This is by far the best programme on TV right now.
  • dazbdazb Posts: 3,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes i love this show havng just watched the first season on netflix, the writing is superb and casting, def the best show i have seen since wallander.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know who did the subtitles for this version (I know from other series that the DVD versions are often different from the TV). I couldn't see any on the credits. I'd like to e-mail them to remind them this is not the USA: we don't have gallons (re the hijacked lorry) and we have 'petrol', not 'gas'.

Love the programme, but things like this distract me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    I am also enjoying this a lot but although I watched series 1, due to my terrible memory I can't recall the details of why Jens killed August? I just can't remember! :confused:

Please can someone give me a brief summary of how it ended.

Thanks in advance.

It's ok I found the answer here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bridge_%28Danish/Swedish_TV_series%29#Plot
  • The NetThe Net Posts: 5,484
    Forum Member
    Woodentop wrote: »
    Another fascinating two hours of great viewing. A continued perfect balance of serious police drama and personal interaction.

Saga was on form and hilarious when asking Martin about sex and being concerned at the lack of it in his life presently. The continuation of their chats and mutual offerings on each others personal lives are beginning to alter how they act as imagined. What was nice to see was Saga having the clarity of kindness to appease Linus from anxiety or blame for the death of his brother and allowing him to hug her in thanks. Slowly, she is showing change, but we don't want to lose the wonder that we have grown to love.

I'm not sure I agree with that from what we saw of her in the latest episodes? I thought her behaviour has got harsher and more detached then she ever showed in the first series. In fact whilst I loved the Saga of series one, so far I'm rather not liking her as a person in this series. In the scene with interviewing Linus she was positively awful and insensitive and Martin rescued her. The scene where she allowed Linus to hug her I thought he was being the sweet one at that moment rather than her. Her treatment of Martin and Mitte's nanny was totally unnecessary and the scene with her boyfriend in the office was excruciatingly awkward.

Still she's a fantastic cop and a great character but rather unlikeable - last night anyway.

Anyway intriguing how the Caroline storyline fits into the general plot. Clearly her husband could be a perpetrator - or he could just be having an affair himself. With Bodil even?