Is Michael Parkinson getting too lofty?

13»

Comments

• yellowlabbieyellowlabbie Posts: 59,081
    Forum Member
    He is making remarks which make some people feel alienated from him - attacking programmes such as The Apprentice and Big Brother turns some people off - obviously he feels OK about that, so presumably won't give a damn for any flak he may take.

So it is OK to make personal attacks on people because you don't agree with their choice of TV programmes:eek:
  • MesostimMesostim Posts: 52,864
    Forum Member
    He is making remarks which make some people feel alienated from him -

You're going to feel alienated everytime someone has a different opnion to you then... unless you are holding Parky in particular reverence.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,253
    Forum Member
    So it is OK to make personal attacks on people because you don't agree with their choice of TV programmes:eek:

Well in fairness, I think Parkinson is the one who is getting personal about peoples' TV choices - underclass, tawdry and the rest.

If he had just said those programmes were not his cup of tea, I'd have been fine with that (my OH cannot tolerate either programme), but Parkinson is behaving like he wants to do a PHD on the subject, and I just find his tone snooty and superior.
    Forum Member
    Mesostim wrote: »
    You're going to feel alienated everytime someone has a different opnion to you then... unless you are holding Parky in particular reverence.

No, if someone expresses themselves with the right use of language and decency, I can cope very nicely with a different opinion, but I find Parkinson's own language and his choice of quotes quite repugnant.

Also, I am truly fed-up with people who slag off Big Brother.
    Forum Member
    No, if someone expresses themselves with the right use of language and decency, I can cope very nicely with a different opinion, but I find Parkinson's own language and his choice of quotes quite repugnant.

It's just looking like you don;t like his opinion and are attacking him personally because of it to be honest.. this is going back to the Jade thing as well isn't it? People have their opinions I'm afraid... sometimes they just don't match yours....
    Forum Member
    It's just looking like you don;t like his opinion and are attacking him personally because of it to be honest.. this is going back to the Jade thing as well isn't it? People have their opinions I'm afraid... sometimes they just don't match yours....

Yes, it is going back to the Jade thing - to me Parkinson is just getting a bit carried away with himself and his views - once I can come to terms with, and probably would have accepted over time.

But I get the impression he is on a bit of a roll at the moment - (Jade - more Jade - now the Apprentice) - and it's as if he thinks anything suits him.

I do find his recent behaviour utterly obnoxious - if he has those views then fine, - spout them to friends and family or come on here to do it - but does he have to inflict them on the public through newspapers whose editors should have more sense.
  • AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

What did you think about his interview with Davina about her drug addiction? Did you think he was repugnant?

http://fliiby.com/file/130563/hg6km3ecvx.html
    Forum Member
    Annsyre wrote: »
    What did you think about his interview with Davina about her drug addiction? Did you think he was repugnant?

http://fliiby.com/file/130563/hg6km3ecvx.html

Tried to get the link but it did not work for me - I'll try later - I did not say I found him repugnant in himself but I loathed the way he quoted certain phrases about Jade repeatedly, whilst also distancing himself from them.
  • Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He wasn't talking about his choice of tv programmes. He was ruminating on the state of British TV and finding it lacking. He obviously doesn't have the Discovery channel on his TV or the history channel.

Personally I feel that he is missing the point about reality TV. Where else would you find all the human characteristics so clearly displayed? Greed, anger, frustration. kindness, compassion, jealousy, envy, camaraderie, insecurity, lust, boastfulness, unrequited love, materialism, competitiveness. If Shakespeare was alive today he'd find a wealth of material in these shows ;)
  • yellowlabbieyellowlabbie Posts: 59,081
    Forum Member
    He wasn't talking about his choice of tv programmes. He was ruminating on the state of British TV and finding it lacking. He obviously doesn't have the Discovery channel on his TV or the history channel.

Personally I feel that he is missing the point about reality TV. Where else would you find all the human characteristics so clearly displayed? Greed, anger, frustration. kindness, compassion, jealousy, envy, camaraderie, insecurity, lust, boastfulness, unrequited love, materialism, competitiveness. If Shakespeare was alive today he'd find a wealth of material in these shows ;)

But he is allowed an opinion. I feel all this 'having a go' at Michael stems from his comments about the media and Jade.
    Forum Member
    But he is allowed an opinion. I feel all this 'having a go' at Michael stems from his comments about the media and Jade.

Purely because of Jade I suspect... commenting about the media isn't exactly uncommon... Parky is being set aside for a particular savaging for some reason.
  • AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Purely because of Jade I suspect... commenting about the media is exactly uncommon... Parky is being set aside for a particular savaging for some reason.

Parkinson wrote an interesting article in Radio Times this week regarding the axing of "The South Bank Show" and related matters but I don't suppose that this will attract the same amount of attention as his criticism of Jade.

To attack him for not liking Jade based only on the reading of one piece of his journalism seems to me to be rather questionable.

By and large I agree with almost everything he says in the article. I admire his writing style, concise language, and coherent argument. :)
  • Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Parkinson wrote an interesting article in Radio Times this week regarding the axing of "The South Bank Show" and related matters but I don't suppose that this will attract the same amount of attention as his criticism of Jade.

To attack him for not liking Jade based only on the reading of one piece of his journalism seems to me to be rather questionable.

By and large I agree with almost everything he says in the article. I admire his writing style, concise language, and coherent argument. :)

I haven't attacked him for not liking Jade. I just find his views predictable and pedestrian. I daresay he doesn't even watch reality TV yet he feels qualified to have an opinion about it. I don't watch cricket or football therefore I don't feel qualified to comment on those subjects.

I noticed he was on the front page of the papers today again for something. Maybe Max Clifford has taken him on as a client:p. His book seems to be selling reasonably well on the back of all these newspaper stories;)
  • godlivesgodlives Posts: 6,050
    Forum Member
    what is wrong with him first jade then chat shows then bb then the apprentice and now he has upset his own family where were all his opinions before ? he must be going through a old age crisis or something.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    all of this from someone who happily flogs off an insurance policy, that for most, will mean they pay in more than they'll ever see back. Anything to keep your face on TV eh Micheal...

Hypocrite - and you were NEVER a great interviewer, you had great interviewees. You only have to look how he coped with faced with media savvy, I'm-hear-to-promote-my-new-film guests - the man was diabolical.

And as for people who sell their soul for fame and money... remind me who did that interview with George Micheal - wow, what a piece of investigative journalism that was. NOT.
    Forum Member

It is entirely down to Jade... since his perfectly valid comments there has been an attempt to discredit him as much as possible as if that will someohow make Jade a better person... it is quite transparent.
    Forum Member
    Purely because of Jade I suspect... commenting about the media isn't exactly uncommon... Parky is being set aside for a particular savaging for some reason.

By the same token, I think some people have also taken him into their hearts because they agreed with his Jade remarks - it works both ways - by commenting on Jade, he was attention-seeking, and in that respect, it has worked for him.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is entirely down to Jade... since his perfectly valid comments there has been an attempt to discredit him as much as possible as if that will someohow make Jade a better person... it is quite transparent.

But the assertions he made were misrepresented by the media...weren't they? Surely the reason members of his former profession turned on him like a pack of wild dogs* was because his remarks were directed at them. As though he betrayed members of a 'club' he himself was once a part of.

*a bit of poetic license there. maybe it should be 'a pack of wild, rabid dogs'.

I think he had a point about the axing of the South Bank Show. It doesn't bode well for the future of television. The rot really started to set in when they axed The Late Show imvho.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    I am getting fed up of his opinions regarding jade and big brother and reality television. In all fairness I think he is a bit of a snob, its a good job his career is based on asking OTHER people about their opinions because his are boring, I think he is just a little out of touch and would rather see a 10 week variety show !