New Doctor Who Fan (Part McCoy)

Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I loved the angry doctor. It worked, really felt the pain of his decision at the end

Felt the plot would have benefitted from another 15 minutes

i'm not sure it was the running time, more how it was put together. It had the potential to be a real classic but it just didn't quite gel: I think ultimately it's one of those stories that has some lovely moments but doesn't quite work as a whole, at least for me.

The important point is that matt and karen continue to shine.:)

Just going to add...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_OT2obe710

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,666
    Forum Member
    Hey new thread ! Here's to celebrating !

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wow, I got the Op this time.

Part McCoy is here at last, thanks mods! :D

Admin edit: Not long before we run out of Doctors I expect... perhaps episode titles after?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,139
    Forum Member
    Congrats Muttley and I just missed the change so was the last of the Baker era. We did go tonight. The day of the McCoys!!

and I'm reposting my comment here

I was a bit up and down with that episode.
    Some won't be pleased at the lonely doctor theme again or the hugging at the end.
    It's interesting that Amy gets to question the morality of a Timelord and challenges it successfully because she can already see the problems he faces.
    I liked the fact that she cooly reacted to things and wasn't over emotional, whereas he was too involved. For me this creates something different about her. Perhaps she is able to take one step back and look around her and then assess the situation.
    I think I really need to watch again.
    I noticed the crack so there's something there but no talk of silence.
    I was reminded also of the TW episode Meat and the theme of human explotation of aliens without really asking them what they want. there are some deep messages here about the nature of humanity and indeed Timelords.

I also noticed the Star Wars references/TW - help me Obi Wan and being inside the creature.
  • dgembadgembadgembadgemba Posts: 18,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Trust the mods to regenerate us in the middle of an episode discussion

:rolleyes:

(Only kidding, love you really admin)

I know what your saying Muttley I just felt that certain points would have flowed more if it was a longer episode. Like the whole human/smiler thing for example

Admin edit: Wouldn't know... trying to avoid spoilers! :o
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have regenerated! Welcome to the McCoy era! And I had just typed out a big post on the other thread then it wouldn't let me post it. :D

The jist of it was:

I liked the ep as a whole but didn't think the smilers were needed. Not to say I don't think they would be a good enemy/feature in another episode. Just they seemed a bit pointless other than having the population of the ship scared of them.

Matt and Karen were great. Really loved the acting and I will admit to shedding a tear when 11 thought he was going to have to make one of the choices he had.

I also like that the Doctor got angry with Amy, even if she couldn't remember what she had chose to forget. I think that if it was doc 10 he would have just said "of course you would choose to forget, you're human!" and move on. But 11 gave her some real grief.

I think the ep needed to be longer though. I looked at the clock and realised it was 6:50 yet nothing had been resolved. Then it all seemed a bit rush to me.

I'm not sure what to rate it for the poll though. Think I may need to watch it again to decide.
  • Tigger-RooTigger-Roo Posts: 10,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yay thanks Mods, congrats to new thread opener Mutts

and welocme to the McCoy era.:D

I enjoyed this episode although I thought it lost it's way somewhat in the middle. I was losing interest a little until it started tugging on my emotional heartstrings. I was in tears at one point. The Doctor does angry! Yes! I think the smilers lost their menace. The opening scene was really scary as I ended up with youngest on my lap, but they didn't live up to their promise. Very much like the Clockword droids.

I am really loving the Doctor and Amy though. Early days for the stories. But plenty to look forward to not least next weeks. I'm really looking forward to that. Did I hear right that it won't be on until 8:25pm??:confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tumpy wrote: »
    Congrats Muttley and I just missed the change so was the last of the Baker era. We did go tonight. The day of the McCoys!!

Some won't be pleased at the lonely doctor theme again or the hugging at the end.
    It's interesting that Amy gets to question the morality of a Timelord and challenges it successfully because she can already see the problems he faces.
    I liked the fact that she cooly reacted to things and wasn't over emotional, whereas he was too involved. For me this creates something different about her. Perhaps she is able to take one step back and look around her and then assess the situation.
    I was reminded also of the TW episode Meat and the theme of human explotation of aliens without really asking them what they want. there are some deep messages here about the nature of humanity and indeed Timelords.

I also noticed the Star Wars references/TW - help me Obi Wan and being inside the creature.

It was quite star wars in places...but deliberitaly so I thought!:D

Good point about Meat actually. Hadn't thought of that but there are some fairly clear parallels.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What I liked was that she listened to what the Doctor said about taking in everything and found the solution. Whereas he forgot his own advice even though well probably because he has been doing it so long. The situation needed a fresh outlook on it.

One little question. Where did the video of Amy warning herself to get the Doctor away come from? I thought it would be from an alternative future but how did the video get back?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tigger-Roo wrote: »
    Did I hear right that it won't be on until 8:25pm??:confused:

6:30pm according the the radio times website.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone else get a pratchett vibe at the end??
  • Molly_636Molly_636 Posts: 109
    Forum Member
    I really enjoyed this episode, I loved Matt and Karen again. (and he reminded me more of DT this week than he did last week, I can definitely see ten in him! :)).

The episode itself reminded me a lot of Meat and some of RTD's work.. so he's not changing the series too much, as all I could think while watching it was it was a very Russell episode.

I wasn't too keen on Liz Ten, maybe it was the cockney accent, it just felt false.

I liked the angry Doctor, (I can see both Chris and David acting that way), and poor whale.. :(
    I'm glad it was Amy that sorted/figured it out... but I did agree with the Doctor when he was ranting, though it wasn't fair to put Amy in that category, even though she did choose to forget.

Over all though it was a good episode, very sad in parts and fairly creepy, though the Smilers seemed like a none threat.. (a bit all show and no substance.. but I guess it was the humans that were the villans in that episode...) and I guess now they've sorted out the problem, they'll be useless now and not be needed?
    Though are they still going to feed the whale humans?

I seen the crack as well...
    I wonder if he's still got Martha's mobile as well? or did that get destroyed in the refurbishment? lol

But I am loving the new Doctor and Matt!! :D (and I didn't miss David at all this week)
    Forum Member

Me although I also got the RE teacher vibe about the same idea
  • amos_brearleyamos_brearley Posts: 8,496
    Forum Member
    Does this now mean the thread should be filled with semi-coherent ramblings, clownish mugging, devious manipulation and nonsensical storylines before ultimately being closed down for 7 years?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yay thanks Mods, congrats to new thread opener Mutts

and welocme to the McCoy era.:D

I enjoyed this episode although I thought it lost it's way somewhat in the middle. I was losing interest a little until it started tugging on my emotional heartstrings. I was in tears at one point. The Doctor does angry! Yes! I think the smilers lost their menace. The opening scene was really scary as I ended up with youngest on my lap, but they didn't live up to their promise. Very much like the Clockword droids.

I am really loving the Doctor and Amy though. Early days for the stories. But plenty to look forward to not least next weeks. I'm really looking forward to that. Did I hear right that it won't be on until 8:25pm??:confused:

I think i am on the same page as you, although perhaps it didn't quite tug on my heart strings as much as you. The only bit that really got me emotionally was when Amy hugged Eleven. I have to say I do still say no one can do emotion like RTD could. :o

I was very disappointed in how the smilers were used, the scene that could have been really menacing (when they came out of their booths) was cut WAY to short, they should have been backed in to a corner and saved at the last minute, that would have really made their characters for me. It felt rather anti climatic.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes! I thought that too. It was very Pratchett.

The mods are on the ball merging the pointless threads out in the main forum bitty.

Forgot to say in my other post - I quite like that it was the companion that figured it out rather than the doctor. And from doing what he had told her - taking it all in.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does this now mean the thread should be filled with semi-coherent ramblings, clownish mugging, devious manipulation and nonsensical storylines before ultimately being closed down for 7 years?

apart from the last bit (I hope), no change there....:p
  • Molly_636Molly_636 Posts: 109
    Forum Member

Yeah I did, I thought that at the beginning with the floating world, and even more so when they shown you the whale... its a good thing they didn't use a space 'turtle' or Pratchett would be sueing lol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Molly_636 wrote: »
    Yeah I did, I thought that at the beginning with the floating world, and even more so when they shown you the whale... its a good thing they didn't use a space 'turtle' or Pratchett would be sueing lol

Yes, I got that feeling as well...very discworld I thought! :)
    Forum Member
    Could it have been the same breed as fell through the rift in Cardiff and ended up as kebab meat?
    Forum Member
    Could it have been the same breed as fell through the rift in Cardiff and ended up as kebab meat?

A couple of us have aready mentioned Meat
  • Tigger-RooTigger-Roo Posts: 10,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    I think i am on the same page as you, although perhaps it didn't quite tug on my heart strings as much as you. The only bit that really got me emotionally was when Amy hugged Eleven. I have to say I do still say no one can do emotion like RTD could. :o

I was very disappointed in how the smilers were used, the scene that could have been really menacing (when they came out of their booths) was cut WAY to short, they should have been backed in to a corner and saved at the last minute, that would have really made their characters for me. It felt rather anti climatic.

I agree RTD is the king of emotion, but SM is not bad himself. I howled at the end of GiTF. I'm not even sure what it was that upset me in this one, probably the choice that the Doctor was being forced to make became my undoing.

The Smilers yes should have been used more. Sometimes I feel that they are scared to go too far.
  • Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved the angry doctor. It worked, really felt the pain of his decision at the end.
    Felt the plot would have benefitted from another 15 minutes of him crying and mumbling about dead Time Lords.
    I agree.
    ;):cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree RTD is the king of emotion, but SM is not bad himself. I howled at the end of GiTF. I'm not even sure what it was that upset me in this one, probably the choice that the Doctor was being forced to make became my undoing.

Oh well, you see GITFP left me stone cold I'm afraid. :o

But I did love the hug here...:)
    The Smilers yes should have been used more. Sometimes I feel that they are scared to go too far.

Yes, bit like with WOM when they made the zombies less scary......:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    A couple of us have aready mentioned Meat

Ah, sorry, of course you have! I searched for "Torchwood" and found no references so went ahead and posted as if no one had mentioned it!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    Oh well, you see GITFP left me stone cold I'm afraid. :o

But I did love the hug here...:)

Yes, bit like with WOM when they made the zombies less scary......:rolleyes:

TGITF did nothing for me either.

I wish they'd just forget about ofcom for once
This discussion has been closed.