Options

The Pro Cycling Thread

Comments

• Options
    cmq2cmq2 Posts: 2,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mindyann wrote: »
    I don't think it was - he wants that Olympic gold and the road race is out in 2016.

Isn't Tom Boonen at OPQ?

Could be useful
    Liquigas seem to be the most transfer happy at the moment.
    Liquigas already have this year's green jersey winner, Sagan. With the loss of Nibali, Oss and Szmyd they should have cash to spare but are down to their last two openings for next season. Big changes with Brixia Sport taking over and Cannondale taking a larger role: http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/09/news/cannondale-and-zani-slated-to-take-over-liquigas_238143
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,024
    Forum Member
    So there is no road race in Rio?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,505
    Forum Member
    Mark F wrote: »

Really? :confused:
  • Options
    cmq2cmq2 Posts: 2,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark F wrote: »
    I thought Cavendish said the Rio road race would not suit him so would he look to the track for a medal in 2016?

Eeeeck!:eek:
    Van Eijden had just found out about her relationship with Gardner, and the three were having a furious row. "I was so shocked at the severity of his reaction," she tells me, when we speak again over the phone. "I thought he might be a bit annoyed, but the fact that he was literally raging, livid, was shocking. He was disgusted in what we'd done, thought we were unprofessional, disrespectful and we'd betrayed him."

She was so upset that she found a pair of nail scissors and cut herself in front of the two men. I wonder if, after this, some staff were scared of her. A colleague who reacts to a row by cutting themselves is someone you might be both worried for, and wary of.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/sep/09/victoria-pendleton-not-perfect-athlete
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah, that's what i figured. Cav may focus on the track for Rio, not that there wasn't a RR in Rio, only that he may not be involved.

What happened today? Cav lost Luke's wheel for some reason?
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Would the course for the Rio road race be published already ?............seems a bit early

Maybe cav wasn't thinking so much about the course rather his age...........will he still be capable of winning bunch sprints in 4 years time ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah..........there's been plenty of chat on the Olympic forum about Vicky's 'complex' character...........including her self-harming

You have to worry how she's going to cope with 'normal life'...........:o
  • Options
    jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An enjoyable second stage where Cavendish seemed to screw up a decent Sky lead out.

The ITV highlights were decent as they took in the three climbs and didn't concentrate on just the last 20k as happens on the Grand Tour highlights.

The bumbling about who is winning is so endearingly English and should be treasured.

Also why are Phil Liggett and Paul Scherwin not commentating? Didn't do the Vuelta either. Have they left ITV?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    swingaleg wrote: »
    Yeah..........there's been plenty of chat on the Olympic forum about Vicky's 'complex' character...........including her self-harming

You have to worry how she's going to cope with 'normal life'...........:o

Not all of it very nice either, have to wonder about the mentality of some people :(

Vicky just needs to find something else to focus on, i pray that she will be okay :)
  • Options
    jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not all of it very nice either, have to wonder about the mentality of some people :(

Vicky just needs to find something else to focus on, i pray that she will be okay :)

She's doing this year's Celebrity Come Dancing.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s104/strictly-come-dancing/news/a405041/strictly-come-dancing-2012-full-lineup-confirmed-first-pictures.html
  • Options
    dofferdoffer Posts: 2,746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I finished bottom of the DS prediction competion on the Velogames site.............:mad:

The final scores haven't been put on yet. There's still Stage 21 to be put on.

See you also picked Cobo ;)
  • Options
    Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    jcafcw wrote: »
    An enjoyable second stage where Cavendish seemed to screw up a decent Sky lead out.

The ITV highlights were decent as they took in the three climbs and didn't concentrate on just the last 20k as happens on the Grand Tour highlights.

The bumbling about who is winning is so endearingly English and should be treasured.

Also why are Phil Liggett and Paul Scherwin not commentating? Didn't do the Vuelta either. Have they left ITV?

a) they are freelance
    b) the commentary they do at the TdF is for almost all the entire English speaking world, not just the UK. And I dont think ITV employ them to do so, used to be a company called Versus based in the States, dunno if thats still the case.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    doffer wrote: »
    The final scores haven't been put on yet. There's still Stage 21 to be put on.

See you also picked Cobo ;)

yeah.........big mistake

I left froome out because i thought he might not cope with being team Leader and thought it might be Contador v Cobo on the mountain stages...........

Within a day or two Harmon and sean were talikning about what an up and down character Cobo was, how he suffers from self doubt and he's mentally unpredictable, yadda, yadda, yadda.................:D

I also put a few Euskedy riders in thinking they'd go all out for stage wins in the basque country and nearby regions........:o
  • Options
    dofferdoffer Posts: 2,746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeah.........big mistake

I left froome out because i thought he might not cope with being team Leader and thought it might be Contador v Cobo on the mountain stages...........

Within a day or two Harmon and sean were talikning about what an up and down character Cobo was, how he suffers from self doubt and he's mentally unpredictable, yadda, yadda, yadda.................:D

I also put a few Euskedy riders in thinking they'd go all out for stage wins in the basque country and nearby regions........:o

Yeah, I already made my feelings clear earlier in the thread about Cobo :D

I was well chuffed when I heard DH and The Legend saying that Valverde had insisted he wanted to ride the Vuelta. The words 'writing' and 'wall' sprang to mind.

You might close that 17 point gap and avoid being the lantern rouge (or whatever the Spanish equivalent is).
  • Options
    DenleyDenley Posts: 4,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeah.........big mistake

I ballsed up by picking Van den Broeck instead of Rodriguez on the toss of a coin and thought the sprints would be more evenly contested too. :rolleyes:

Pity there were no substitutions allowed in that fantasy league, it took the fun out of it. And it's a shame there's not one for the Tour of Britain either, in a lot of ways this is a difficult tour to call.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheFridge wrote: »
    You would think so , hes the best climber at this moment , be interesting to see how good the Vuelta top 3 are in France next year , something tells me they wont be at the same level as they were here , should be a stacked race though.

I can't wait to see what Rodriguez could do in the Alps and the Pyrenees at the TdeF. It was great to see a pure climber I've not seen before giving it a real go. The mountain top dueling he had with Contador, Valverde and Froome in the Vuelta was head and shoulders above what we saw in the TdeF for racing excitement.

The Vuelta was brilliant viewing. :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jcafcw wrote: »

I can't stand Hugh Porter which puts a downer on things for me. He seems to be on as much a steep learning curve to road cycling as many of the British riders are in this tour so far. I've been spoilt listening to Phil Liggett and Paul Scherwin's commentary.

ITV need to up the ante with the quality and thoroughness of their coverage but I'm really grateful they're covering all the stages "live" and with highlights.

I've enjoyed it so far - and the crowds have been amazing. I'm be there on Dartmoor to see Stage 7 on Saturday and can't wait. :cool:
  • Options
    John259John259 Posts: 28,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phil and Paul were doing the Pro Challenge/Tour of Colorado which took place during part of the Vuelta.

Anthony McCrossan, the main commentator who ITV4 used during this year's Vuelta was good IMHO, but obviously unavailable for the ToB due to the one day overlap even if there were no other factors.
  • Options
    grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would the course for the Rio road race be published already ?............seems a bit early

Have you ever seen a photo of Rio? It is surrounded by a range of mountains. It's a pretty fair deduction that the cycle race will be going up and down them.
  • Options
    WestminsterflyeWestminsterflye Posts: 195
    Forum Member
    The Vuelta was brilliant viewing. :cool:[/QUOTE]

agreed!
  • Options
    John259John259 Posts: 28,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I also enjoyed the Vuelta. Great competition and great mountain scenery.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,832
    Forum Member
    Denley wrote: »
    I can't wait to see what Rodriguez could do in the Alps and the Pyrenees at the TdeF. It was great to see a pure climber I've not seen before giving it a real go. The mountain top dueling he had with Contador, Valverde and Froome in the Vuelta was head and shoulders above what we saw in the TdeF for racing excitement.

The Vuelta was brilliant viewing. :cool:

Can't see Rodriguez ever doing much in the Tour, to be honest. He doesn't do so well on the steadier, faster climbs you see in the Tour. Plus the time trialling in the Tour would knock him out of contention before he even sees a mountain.
  • Options
    divingbboydivingbboy Posts: 14,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So much for sports drinks, they want cans of coke, it seems!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    9.6km to go and 18 seconds back to the peleton. What are the chances of the breakaway pulling this off?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking good for the breakaway.
This discussion has been closed.